It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage at UN decision to exonerate Shell for oil pollution in Niger delta

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Outrage at UN decision to exonerate Shell for oil pollution in Niger delta

www.guardian.co.uk...
***Please scroll down the link, and the article should be near the centre of the page***

A three-year investigation by the United Nations will almost entirely exonerate Royal Dutch Shell for 40 years of oil pollution in the Niger delta, causing outrage among communities who have long campaigned to force the multinational to clean up its spills and pay compensation.

Last year, Amnesty calculated that the equivalent of at least 9m barrels of oil has been spilled in the delta over the past half a century.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Ok, I give up:

Please go to this link, and the story should be a little way down the page:
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Anything BP can do, Shell can do better.

It seems that for all the attention the Gulf of Mexico spill and BP is getting, we shouldn't forget that similar incidents have been going on in other lower profile countries and regions, with similar multi-national companies involved, for quite a number of years.

It seems the same old story of governments and multinational corporations colluding for money and power, at the expense of the people, who have to bare the brunt of their leaders' disgusting actions.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Just to let you know, ATS system automatically edited part of the link with 'n-word'.

Switch that to 'ni ger' without single quotes, and the link will work.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Just to let you know, ATS system automatically edited part of the link with 'n-word'.

Switch that to 'ni ger' without single quotes, and the link will work.

Thanks, man.

I couldn't work around that, so I've just had to link to the Guardian environment page,where the story is.

That ATS system is a bit precious, isn't it ? There's only one ''g'' in the country's name !

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

yes... I suggested to staff to fix the bug...

see where the edit happens, a portion of the link -

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-niger-delta-un-investigation

with space

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-nig er-delta-un-investigation

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
yes... I suggested to staff to fix the bug...

see where the edit happens, a portion of the link -

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-niger-delta-un-investigation

with space

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-nig er-delta-un-investigation

The problem is, that I tried to post the link with that space in it, but unsurprisingly it still came up as a broken link.

I suppose we have to hope that the next article about these dirty, money-grubbing, oil-companies, comes from somewhere else in West Africa.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
EDIT: Double Post.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Okay, i read about this a few months ago, shell over in the country Niger in africa...from what ive read, its the rebels causing and sabotaging shells oil pipelines....it isnt shell doing it outright unpurpously* oris the news wrong?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Okay, i read about this a few months ago, shell over in the country Niger in africa...from what ive read, its the rebels causing and sabotaging shells oil pipelines....it isnt shell doing it outright unpurpously* oris the news wrong?

Yes. bandits shoot a hole in the above ground pipeline and fill up their containers, then leave the hole pouring forth oil. At some point this was happening daily, some using explosives to get to the oil creating bigger holes. Although this should be a problem for the government of N..er, it does not exonerate Shell from the upkeep of the pipeline. If Shell cannot keep their oil from fouling the earth they should reroute the pipeline.

The nation is paid by Shell for the use of their land for the pipeline, and it is mostly N..er's fault for not (unable) using the money to protect this investment. The Ni...erian government is okay with the mess. These are the reasons the UN has lifted all fault from Shell. In my view of world politics, the only way Shell would get a get out of jail free card on this is the nation's government has put forth a plan to curb/halt the banditry, such as a 10 year plan or some such. OR they are taking the blame and will "work to correct all invironmentally dangerous contaminants" in a specific period of time.

There have been a few other threads on this subject, and an offshot thread under the BP section.

Still, I will repeat this, Shell should reroute the pipeline.

top topics

join