It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of dead fish reported at mouth of Mississippi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Thousands of dead fish reported at mouth of Mississippi

news.yahoo.com

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AFP) – Thousands of fish have turned up dead at the mouth of Mississippi River, prompting authorities to check whether oil was the cause of mass death, local media reports said Monday.

"By our estimates there were thousands, and I'm talking about 5,000 to 15,000 dead fish," St Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro was quoted as saying in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The article says that it is not confirmed that the deaths were from the oil, but I would think the oil more than likely has something to do with this.

5,000 to 15,000, thats pretty high, and then again theres the chance that this is underreported/not all the dead fish have been counted yet.

Im thinking that this may possibly be the beginning of the long line of dead sea life washing up on shore in vast amounts.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Am I getting this right, they are trying to hint at the possability that this could be because of oxygen, as opposed to the oil? You have got to be kidding me. I know that parts of the Gulf are considered to be dead zones but that just means that fish stay out of those areas. This is clearly due to oil and the chemical response to said oil.

What a shame too. As a kid, I used to go fishing in that area for some of the very same fish they have mentioned as being among the dead, speckled trout and redfish. So sad!

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I really wonder, if BP and government lied about the "only 25% of oil left" story, have they lied about the well itself as well?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I just did a quick search over the internet and found this. Article

As of August 20th, 2010, thousands of dead fish started washing up along the shore of Pensacola Beach.

While several oil soaked animals have been found as a result of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, this is the first time that such a large amount of fish have washed up dead.

The small, silver fish appeared to be baitfish. Dead carcasses of the creatures stretched on for miles.

Im not sure if these are both reports of the same incident. This one comes from Pensacola Beach, while the OP was out of New Orleans. They are close to eachother, but Im still not sure if both articles are from the exact same incident.

The OP article says that "local media reports said Monday." While the Pensacola one said "As of August 20th, 2010, thousands of dead fish...".

Im going to search for more articles to see if there are any other places around the gulf experiencing the same kind of situation.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Dear concerned readers:

It has come to our attention that a large school of fish after being involved in an alternative religious cult similiar to Jonestown and Heavens Gate have killed themselves.

While an investigation is still under way, it appears that the leader of these fish, was concerned that a scheduled visit by a U.S. Congressmen who represented the district where the family of one of the cult's fish was originally from was coming to conduct an investigation regarding fish not being able to leave the cult.

So the fish leader using his amazing cult control powers prepared several vats of air, and directed all the fish in the cult to drink the air in.

While we lament this horrible tragedy and staggering loss of life rest assured that this has nothing to do with Oil or Corexit or anything else to do with BP.

Sincerely,

BP Head of North American Operations

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I think Ive already found a few articles that are attempting to do basically something of the same report as you described. (alot of the media is giving us a bedtime story fairytale).

This one says pretty much that sea life is swarming the shore to escape oxygen-depleted areas. It says there is a concern that the leak has caused the low-oxygen level areas to expand.

Gulf of Mexico's Fish Beachings May Be Increasing Because of BP Oil Spill

BP Plc’s oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico may be exacerbating a natural phenomenon that causes fish, crabs, eels and shrimp to swarm the shoreline to escape oxygen-depleted sea waters.

Called “jubilees” by locals because of the opportunity to scoop up seafood in buckets, they typically appear during the summer along the Gulf Coast. This year, scientists say jubilees have occurred in open water for the first time, raising concern that low-oxygen areas are expanding because of the more than 4 million barrels of oil BP’s Macondo well leaked into the Gulf.

A group of scientists said in a memo made public Aug. 16 that as much as 79 percent of BP’s leaked crude remains in the Gulf, challenging an Obama administration assessment that the oil is mostly gone.

And heres another article that I found. Dosent it kind of contradict the other article above?

State authorities say fish kill in St. Bernard Parish waters likely caused by low oxygen levels

St. Bernard Parish authorities have reported a large fish kill at the mouth of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, but state wildlife officials say it does not appear to be directly related to oil from the BP leak.

Randy Pausina, head fisheries biologist for the state, said Department of Wildlife and Fisheries workers are investigating the fish kill and that the initial conclusion is that it was caused by low levels of oxygen in the water.

Article 1- exacerbating a natural phenomenon/ expanding low-oxygen areas.
Article 2- Not directly related to oil leak/ sea life died from low-oxygen levels.

Maybe Im just crazy, but dont those 2 just screw up the "all is good now" story thats coming out of alot of the media?

[edit on 24-8-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The mainstream media is worthless these days.

Twenty years ago, reporters would actually FOLLOW UP AND DO RESEARCH on the outlandish claim that 75% of the oil was gone.

What happened when Obama said it was gone?

Nothing. No invesetigative journalism, no follow up with scientists....nada. Zilch. Nothing.

What a pathetic bunch of journalists we have today.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
What a pathetic bunch of journalists we have today.

One could hardly call them "journalists".

More like completely transparent, temptingly unwitting serial programmers. The language(?)...BUYNARY, CABAL or FORTHRAN. :/

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Here is the most recent study i was email'd

www.nsf.gov...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is either due to oil or the aliens. I think the oil is to blame, they have blocked it by now (if I remember correctly), but it was leaking for an awfully long time. Does anyone have the amount of oil that was leaked?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This can only be down to the Macondo well and they know it so why not say it? It drives me mad when nobody in authority ‘dares’ to state the bleeding obvious, don’t they realise it just makes them look and sound more stupid than we gave them credit for?
Much more to come if that underwater plume has anything to do with it!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mez353

I think there is going to be a lot more to come. This is just the beginning of a long stretch. I could be wrong, but I really do believe alot of more dead sea life will be washing up on the shores. Im almost positive they will try to cover it up/lower the numbers. Well, actually, I dont think I will even trust almost anything they say anymore. Look how much great information we were getting while the well was still leaking. The estimates were up and down almost every day. Hmm....I wonder what the government will do once all the dead sea life begins washing up on shore en-mass....they'll problably do what they did just like before, when the well was leaking.......sit around and play with eachother like always. Oh, also, will anyone take responsibility........no comment.

My last post in the thread, I said this -
Article 1- exacerbating a natural phenomenon/ expanding low-oxygen areas.
Article 2- Not directly related to oil leak/ sea life died from low-oxygen levels.

I just had to say that again because it just goes to show how screwed up they are in handling this. Article 1 -"Oh, the 15,000 fish died from low-oxygen levels, but that was not directly related to one of the worst oil disaters in history....."
Article 2- "Oil expanding the low-oxygen areas." - kicks article 1's rear out of the water.....

We could show this thread to people not on ATS, and they would hopefully think for atleast a few minutes (maybe not in the US), but almost everyone else would be able to see how stupid the garbage they are feeding us is. Its basically common sense.... massive oil spill, one of the worst in history, and sea life is washing up dead....hmmmm....I wonder whats killed the sea life?????

[edit on 24-8-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Dear concerned readers:

It has come to our attention that a large school of fish after being involved in an alternative religious cult similiar to Jonestown and Heavens Gate have killed themselves.

While an investigation is still under way, it appears that the leader of these fish, was concerned that a scheduled visit by a U.S. Congressmen who represented the district where the family of one of the cult's fish was originally from was coming to conduct an investigation regarding fish not being able to leave the cult.

So the fish leader using his amazing cult control powers prepared several vats of air, and directed all the fish in the cult to drink the air in.

While we lament this horrible tragedy and staggering loss of life rest assured that this has nothing to do with Oil or Corexit or anything else to do with BP.

Sincerely,

BP Head of North American Operations

Thank you for this clarification. I'm sure that when I wake up the MSM will, with your help, get the story straight.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by chorizo4]

join