It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban: Captured Soldier Joined Cause

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

(NewsCore) - The only known American soldier in Taliban captivity is training fighters in bombmaking and ambush, according to information reported Sunday from one of his captors and the Afghan intelligence agents working to free him.

Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared from an American military base in southeastern Afghanistan in June 2009. Last week, one of his captors was interviewed, shedding light on a case that has baffled U.S. military officials.

Source

Well this certainly isn't a surprise for me, didn't it happen before?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This is going to sound really strange, but i had a dream about this a few days ago (not specifically about this soldier) - but a dream about a captured prisoner joining sides with the enemy and revealing strategic secrets to them...

When i woke up i thought it would make a good film too...

How freaky!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I'm sure it was either that or death and he didn't feel like being killed. Befriend the enemy and then kill them or try and get away, its much better then just being beheaded imo.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

You should start a dream journal, my friend.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Or like NFL football/war hero Pat Tillman, whose family just released a documentary on his murder by unfriendly fire, and were just interviewed on Larry King last week, you could just get killed triple tap to the head by your own side.
And then have the president lie that it was a Taliban ambush...while the Army surgeons and generals stumble over having told the president not to lie in the first place.
No wonder this guy joined the other side...his team was making him sick.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
reply to post by mr-lizard

You should start a dream journal, my friend.

not to go off topic, but i've recently returned home to my parents house inbetween terms at uni, and at uni i hardly dreamed.... since i've been home i've dreamed every single night....

I used to do dream journals a few years ago when i was studying oneiromancy and meditation.

but this thread sent a chill and a de ja vu through me... Incidentally i've mentioned a few of my dreams on ATS / BTS

On topic: maybe he is doing it to stay alive and who can blame him.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This sounds like another round of Taliban propaganda? If it is indeed true, then this Army soldier has a lot to answer for. If it is found that he gave aid and comfort to the enemy? He ought to be given a court martial while in the field. If found guilty? He ought be tied to the nearest post and shot by firing squad.

I know that last statement sounds callous, but this soldier knows the rules when captured by the enemy. Rank, name, and serial number. That is it! Plain and simple! Still, I think he never faced execution, because he is too valuable to them as their tool of propaganda. So, they have a mascot to parade around in cyberspace giving B.S. diatribes about US Forces spoon fed to him by his captors. He is nothing more than their propaganda tool and slave.

Politics aside, and even if war is called other things by politicians; what is taking place in Afghanistan is combat. Soldiers and civilians are dying daily and I hope this soldier did not make the fatal mistake being pervaded by his captors. I can understand the will to survive, but assisting the enemy is the third rail as far as I am concerned. To actively train enemy combatants to kill his buddies with whom he went to bootcamp with, went out drinking with, ballgames, and barbecues? That is certainly taboo, and absolutely insane if it is true.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that I believe this. With that being said, he was only a private, meaning he wasn't in the Army that long, most likely less than a year. If this in fact true, he is committing the ultimate treason, regardless of whether he supports the war or not.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Woo hoo, time for another round of Taliban propaganda where the gullible anti-US crowd slurps up every single drop of it!

Knowing that this a war we're fighting where the Taliban will take whatever they can to turn public opinion against the operations as well as causing any harm to morale that they can.
It's a war of words in this area of things really. The Taliban have been squeezing as much out of this guy as they possibly can since they caught him over a year ago.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Isn't that what President Carter's National Security Adviser Zbigniew Bryzynski who created the Taliban would have wanted them to do...?
Says so right in his book...

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting story. Thanks for posting it.

It is not really far fetched for someone to convert to Islam. A lot of people seem to really feel it suits them. He could also be of the opinion the US should not even be there and maybe he always had sympathy for Islam.

To help them kill his country men is discusable but maybe we are blind to the truth because of all the propaganda we've been told.

If 9-11 was indeed an inside job and Osama either worked with or has nothing to do with it, then it isn't strange that the Taliban has been made to look evil while they might possibly are different from what we are told.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the rest of this story.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

No matter how you slice, spin or roll it, working with the enemy - against your own brothers - is wrong on every level. Regardless of which side you feel is right, you don't support and work with the enemy that is fighting your brothers in arms. For instance, I don't feel that the Taliban had anything to do with 9/11, nor had they ever done anything wrong against my person or my country but I would in no way provide support to the Taliban, whether moral or material, in their efforts to fight my brothers in the US military.

Granted, he was a private and a "leg" (non-paratrooper in an airborne unit) so he didn't have much time to define his own personal values or hone his mental sharpness, but he is committing the ultimate sacrilege.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Considering what i said..how does a person make a stand for sanity without killing those that don't deserve it, shooting or betraying your own side, and without getting your own butt handed to you on a plate...?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I agree, I wouldn't either.

Has he been treated badly or something ? Subject of torment from the others in his team ? Morally I don't see any other reason to commit this kind of treason.
However...
Religions can have an unpredictable effect on people.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

The man is a POW held by men who will happily execute any hostage. Not for a week, or even a month. For more than a year with no imminent rescue. Do you really think he cares if they throw him in leavenworth *IF* he leaves that country alive? Get real.

Its very easy to demand courts martial and execution, but unless you have been a POW or hostage, you have zero understanding of what the man is going through to try and stay alive.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gaderel

He is a POW, and the Taliban ought to treat him as such. However, when have they ever done that? Never! What does this guy have to gain by cooperating, another day or week? If this report by the insurgent in the article is true he has committed the ultimate act of betrayal.

Now, I have never been held in captivity on some far flung battlefield. However, I would hope for me personally that I would have the resolve to actively pursue escape from my captors and to resist with every fiber of my being. The US military may have been actively conducting rescue operations for the past year, but Afghanistan is a large and forbidding place with every geological extreme imaginable to contend with. Not to mention, a local populace who live in terror from the Taliban and would rather stay mum than give up any information leading to his rescue.

If he got life in prison at Leavenworth, I would consider him lucky. However, I can find no empathy for a man who would actively pursue his buddies with hostilities to save his own skin. This is an extreme violation being alleged here, and a total violation of any reasonable conduct for a soldier. I am not trying to sound harsh with my last comment, but this man needs to be dealt with if he is giving aid and comfort to the enemy. I hope this story is more propaganda and disinformation from the Taliban.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Speaking of POWS the US almost elected John 'SONGBIRD' McCain president...whats wrong with this picture?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Theres no Geneva convention in the Afghan hills some people may prefer to co-operate rather than be beheaded or skinned alive-both Afghan specialties.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Its very easy to be cold and detached back in the world, behind a computer. Its a much different thing when you are the one with a bag on your head, peeing your pants, feeling the barrel pressed against your head, not knowing if you are about to die or not. Being moved every day, being beaten just for who you are, being starved, being interrogated and tortured."We know who you are" they say"We have friends in the United States, do you wish them to 'send a message' to your family?"

We break their men using similar methods and make them cooperate, they do the same. Peoples minds are easy to break, they are fragile. No one can resist indefinitely, not us, and not them, the peasant in the street, the best special forces man - same same. Given 12 months of abuse & reward, fear and praise, you can brainwash anyone into doing anything. Don't doubt it. Its been done before.

So before you beat your chest and declare him a traitor and demand death, remember those we fight consider the men we break as traitors also, and demand the same punishment. But maybe thats the point, we really are no different from our enemy. They terrorize, we terrorize back. They kill innocents, so do we. They declare that god is on their side, so do we.

Go on, tell me how we dont do "x" and how we are the good guys. I need a laugh.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This wouldn’t surprise me after the Fort Hood shootings and the case of John Lindh, the so called “American Taliban” captured after the battle of Qala-i-Jagi in 2001. On face value this looks like it could be that he as walked off base a few months ago to defect to the Taliban, it’s happened before in other wars, why should this be any different. Then we have the other claims in this report that he has adopted the traditional dress of the Taliban and is training them. He is also a private so he has probably not been in the military for very long and it could be possible that he has only joined up so he can learn skills to help the Taliban and also to get into Afghanistan to join up with them. In short this report makes a good case for saying this solider has defected to the Taliban.

That said however, it is unfair not to give a brave man who has fought for his country the benefit of the doubt. There are a number of other likely scenarios that could have led to him training the Taliban.

We have to remember this guy is a POW, it could be possible that the Taliban have forced him to conform with their beliefs and hence why he has taken on their traditional dress. They could be threatening him with violence and torture if he refuses to assist them, he might have been tortured into helping the Taliban. In other words he is not doing this on his own free will, he is being forced to assist them.

It could also be a possibility that he has developed Stockholm syndrome, were by hostages develop positive feelings and empathise with their captives. It is said that this could possibly be a defence mechanism of sorts and there are a number of interesting explanations for the condition. It would again expain why he is conforming to them and assisting them.

With this being a conspiracy site it is only fitting that I offer a more “alternative” theory. It could be possible that this is a new military intelligence tactic for implanting undercover operatives inside the Taliban. I admit this is probably the least likely hypothesis, but it is a plausible one. This guy is sent by the DIA (or whoever) to go off to a Taliban camp firstly as a POW, then he defects, then the intelligence community leak it to the press that a solider appears to have defected to the Taliban to give his cover some extra credibility. This would enable them to feed the Taliban with misinformation whilst gathering intelligence on them. Like I said it’s unlikely but could be possible.

All 3 of these explanations’s could be backed up by this quote in the article.

“Most of the skills he taught us we already knew. Some of my comrades think he’s pretending to be a Muslim to save himself so they wouldn’t behead him,”

I think in fairness to the soldier who is missing we should give him the benefit of the doubt, by all means when or if they get him out investigate what happened to him and take action accordantly. The focus really should be on getting him out (unless he is working for military intelligence in the capacity listed above) not discrediting him when he doesn’t have a change to defend or speak for himself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join