It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama stem cell regulations temporarily blocked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Obama stem cell regulations temporarily blocked

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – A federal judge on Monday temporarily blocked government rules expanding stem cell research, a blow to the Obama administration that could stall potentially lifesaving research.

The nonprofit group Nightlight Christian Adoptions contends that the government's new guidelines will decrease the number of human embryos available for adoption and implantation. Nightlight helps individuals adopt human embryos that are being stored in fertilization clinics. The group provides domestic, international and embryo adoption services to families in all 50 states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I extremely support stem cell research. This stuff has the potential to cure a number of diseases, help a number of people suffering from disability, and plenty of other things that affect human health.

Whoever this "Nightclub Christian Adoptions" group is, telling is that "the government's new guidelines will decrease the number of human embryos available for adoption and implantation." - Go make a baby the right way, if the person is physically able!

Sure we have people dieing of cancer and a bunch of other things that could possibly be prevented if we did enough research into stem cells, but screw it, people need to not have sex and instead implant embryos to have their own special, picked out baby nowdays. Thats what I seem to be getting out of this. Good job Nightclub whatever!! (sarcasm).

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-8-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
AARGH!!!!!!

Science should be science and religion should stick to religion.

I just want to scream when science is interfered with by religion.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I was also going to say - Isnt there supposed to be seperation of church and state? How can religion tell science not to do something. If it works like that, science should tell religion to stop worshiping and tear down all the churches then?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I like science.

I think our nation should pursue it.

What I don't like are profit-driven companies who want to patent scientific breakthroughs to milk the population of their wealth. I could just imagine Monsanto using some stem cell technology to clone animals to feed us and make us sick.

That IS where this will lead.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by againuntodust]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Was going to say something, but I'm just so frustrated with stooopid, meddling government that my words are without form, void. Ppfgrrrh!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I would hate to be a scientist in the US, being told you were not allowed to do something that scientists in many other countries are doing, just because of religion. In this day and age.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Probably one of the most promising research fields being blocked due to religious superstition.

I weep for humanity.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I was also going to say - Isnt there supposed to be seperation of church and state? How can religion tell science not to do something. If it works like that, science should tell religion to stop worshiping and tear down all the churches then?

They're not using religion to block it. Although we assume that is the underlying motive.

Kind of like when Christians claim "causes mental illness" when arguing about abortion.

If they think an argument helps them then they'll usde it, even if it's a lie.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You don't need to use aborted babies to make stem cells for research.

From skin tissue!...

The method requires neither cloning nor the destruction of human embryos, regarded as immoral by many religious groups. It also gets round the shortage of human eggs and surplus embryos, which has held up research into stem cells and therapeutic cloning.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yeah, it's a shame the US can't compete with all those other countries who are pursuing stem cell research.

Hey wait a minute, they've been ahead of us for all those years, where all are the breakthrough cures we were promised?

Hmmmnn...

Seems like there's nothing there to be found. Even leftie loony California gave up on that snake oil.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It seems that the judicial tyranny strikes again, irrespective of political leanings.

Another line.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Yeah, it's a shame the US can't compete with all those other countries who are pursuing stem cell research.

Hey wait a minute, they've been ahead of us for all those years, where all are the breakthrough cures we were promised?

Hmmmnn...

Seems like there's nothing there to be found. Even leftie loony California gave up on that snake oil.

Ah yes, until science solves all of our problems, we shouldn't help them.
That'll progress the human race!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
You don't need to use aborted babies to make stem cells for research.

From skin tissue!...

The method requires neither cloning nor the destruction of human embryos, regarded as immoral by many religious groups. It also gets round the shortage of human eggs and surplus embryos, which has held up research into stem cells and therapeutic cloning.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

your source also states:

The reprogramming technique could not have been developed without extensive study of embryonic stem cells, and the so-called induced pluripotent stem cells it produces are slightly different from the real thing.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

SO... while this is sweet sweet music to antiadvocates (those against SC research), it does not replace the need for it. I am all for devoting most, but not all, resources to using the genetically altered skin cells instead of stem cells. I think this was and is the path stem cell research leads: Understand, or at least duplicate the cells to alleviate any 'taboo' the current supply has associated with it. I hate the word taboo, it's a religion all it's own.

Tempest

Edit: S+F for you as I didn't know of this research. Thank you very much!

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Tempest333]

new topics

top topics

join