It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA seeks Ebonics experts to help with cases

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by indianajoe77

Actually this thread started last night.

Just saying.

Ooops, my mistake. I did check the search box though, lol!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

lmao...priceless post. If there were a hall of fame for ATS your comments on this thread should be there.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

lmao...priceless post. If there were a hall of fame for ATS your comments on this thread should be there.

Hey, I'll always admit when I'm wrong. I jumped the gun and made an error. My apologies to the OP.

And do you mean hall of fame or hall of shame? (I think shame, lol)

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
And since I've been in both threads, I'll port my post from the other into this one:

I live in Atlanta and think that calling the evolving local dialect "Ebonics" is probably an oversimplification. What many of these young people are speaking would probably be better understood as a new form of Pidgin.

Our local variety of street slang here has been influenced by population influxes from New Orleans, post Katrina, which brought many Creole influences here, as well as a great deal of influence from Jamaica and African sources.

Southern slang was already a difficult thing to understand for many people who aren't from this area. Sometimes even for those of us who have been here for more than a generation. But in the last ten years it has become something like a foreign language. A kind of mumble-speak that is very difficult to catch and understand.

Add to this some aspects of the drug culture - specifically terminologies meant to be hard to catch or understand and it makes for a very difficult thing to interpret.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I woulddn't sweat it too much. We all have these sorts of moments and all you can really do it cop to it and laugh. So kudos for doing both!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

*duplicate post*

[edit on 8/24/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Even if they can translate it... drug dealers wont have anything "intelligent" to say either way.. its throwing good money ...

say maybe ebonics can all be translated to english and then new schools set up to help those struggling to speak english... a "fair" "bi lingual" education for all Americans... another way to spend more money oh well...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yep, this is by far the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I am from Atlanta and have stayed here all my life. I am "Lilly White" but most of my friends speak it. Although they are smart enough not to talk like that in a corporate setting. A lot of these folk's just would not fit in to society if they do not speak plain english.

Edit for spelling. Do'h

[edit on 8/24/2010 by Pinkarella]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kj6754
This is real silly. Ebonics isn't that complex. Its a play on language, its not an entire language on to itself. If you need help understanding it then just ask a regular street cop. There is no use in hiring someone for something you can find out about on the internet in less than two minutes.

This is so true, area Holstein drivers or gang detectives would be better equipped to decipher the local flavor.. maybe the FBI can't find the local cops e-mail? lol..

Knowing the Famous But Incompetent, they'll hire a $250K Ebonics expert that will fail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join