It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA seeks Ebonics experts to help with cases

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Article

ATLANTA – Federal agents are seeking to hire Ebonics translators to help interpret wiretapped conversations involving targets of undercover drug investigations.

The Drug Enforcement Agency recently sent memos asking companies that provide translation services to help it find nine translators in the Southeast who are fluent in Ebonics, Special Agent Michael Sanders said Monday.

Ebonics, which is also known as African American Vernacular English, has been described by the psychologist who coined the term as the combination of English vocabulary with African language structure.

"It seems ironic that schools that are serving and educating black children have not recognized the legitimacy of this language. Yet the authorities and the police are recognizing that this is a language that they don't understand," he said. "It really tells us a lot about where we are socially in terms of recognizing African-American speech."

I really dont know what to say about this article. I thought Id share this to hear what other people have to say.

Hiring ebonics translators? Is it really that hard to ask a kid on the street what something means? I bet I could do this job pretty well. Im guessing most of us could.

Is this something we want the DEA to spend our tax dollars on? I guess someone in the US thinks its important????

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ebonics = Ghetto slang.

Ebonics, which is also known as African American Vernacular English, has been described by the psychologist who coined the term as the combination of English vocabulary with African language structure.
Funny.

Must everything be PC.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

maybe they can hire these guys:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
When I first saw the article, I wasnt sure if it was a joke or not. But its real i guess. Great way to spend our tax dollars on, and one of the smartest things our government could think of at the moment.....considering the economy, war, everything else......Havent they heard of asking a rapper what something means? Maybe look up the website - Urban Dictionary i think its called?

This is funny, but in a stupid way. I just cant stop shaking my head on this one....

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My older (60 year old) friend told me that they used to teach ebonics in college as part of a broader curriculum geared towards the African American culture.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Urbandictionary.com anyone? Lol

Second line

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Or at least hire Barbara Billingsly. She seems to have ebonics down pretty good.

Maybe the DEA could just get in contact with some college students who want creidt for working on a project like this.

In Cincinnati, Ohio, The CPD enlisted the help of some students from the University of Cincinnati who analyzed information from facebook accounts of members of Cincinnati's Northside Taliband gang and consequently, the gang was disrupted and many members brought to trial and convicted of various crimes.

www.jjay.cuny.edu...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

If I remember right, ebonics was first used in the comic strip of Lil' Abner..with Daisy Mae and all the citizens of Dogpatch....

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is real silly. Ebonics isn't that complex. Its a play on language, its not an entire language on to itself. If you need help understanding it then just ask a regular street cop. There is no use in hiring someone for something you can find out about on the internet in less than two minutes.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. I lived in the ghetto and ebonics really isn't hard to understand AT ALL. Most slang words you can decipher just by in the context used. And if not google will answer it for you.

Ebonics is just as different as British English/Australian English/etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
When I first saw the article, I wasnt sure if it was a joke or not. But its real i guess. Great way to spend our tax dollars on, and one of the smartest things our government could think of at the moment.....considering the economy, war, everything else......Havent they heard of asking a rapper what something means? Maybe look up the website - Urban Dictionary i think its called?

This is funny, but in a stupid way. I just cant stop shaking my head on this one....

It is a beginning effort to legitimize something that need not be.
Now, where would such thinking come from?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
goddamn't tell those DEA idiots to post the conversation on here. i've listened to enough rap to translate the whole thing. hiring these ebonics translator will probably cost another 100k/year each to tax payers.

just because they have the fundings don't mean they can solve everything just by senselessly adding assets to the agency.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is funny.
But I would have to say that describing ebonics as a derivative of African language structure, is just laughable and wrong. It derives from Slaves who were threatened with lynchings if they educated themselves or their children. They didn't understand grammar or proper pronunciation, so they did what they could with what they heard, and then it was passed down generation to generation were it evolved into it's modern format. Now it is out of control and kids would rather learn ebonics than english. F'ing DEA.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Facepalm

What can I say, I first thought maybe another onion post had made it into the current events forum but no the byline is AP.

Something is wrong here. I need a bit to think about exactly what it is but something is definitely wrong.

I'm gonna speculate that the writer might have been wanting to get another divisive race conversation going here. It is after all an election year. There are however, some other issues I'd like to see addressed aside from the usual conversation about ebonics. I'm going to ignore the debate about ebonics almost entirely in this post.

First is the DEA (one of the scary 3 letter agencies) so underrepresented in "native African American Vernacular English" speakers that it must look for translators. We're not talking translators for Haitian, Dominican, Carribean, or Nigerian investigations here. They say they need a translator to investigate a population native to their own country.

Second how do you go to your boss and say "Hey I need someone who speaks "African American Vernacular English" or we're not going to be able to investigate this guy?"

Third, how much does it pay? Though not my native tongue, I've been around speakers of "African American Vernacular English" almost my entire life and though I don't have any formal language training I am able to interact with speakers involving agreements and services daily. I've also lived exclusively in the region with the positions open.

I'm thinking that there may be more to this than meets the eye though. Perhaps some one newly promoted/appointed in the DEA had a young relative recently graduate from college with a useless degree and needed to find them a good secure .gov job.

Still this is a great story please don't limit yourselves to the simplistic dialogue on race that we've been subjected to over the past few months. Have fun with it!!!!

The DEA just basically admitted that they are in such dire need of people who "speak Black"and that they need to hire a translator.

Another random though that this article evoked before I retire for the night.

If a translator is needed for this evidence to be presented in court is the defendant truly being tried by a "jury of his peers"?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I'll one up you on the Ebonics. Here is one that circulated many years back.

Really I can not understand why they need to request someone who is fluent in ebonics, when there are plenty of people that understand it.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sound like they are having problems trying to understand jailhouse phone calls.

In Calif years ago a biker group started using Klingon when talking to other group members out side of jail.

Needless to say it took some time for the jail officials to translate what they were saying. it took them months to find out what language it was.

Only because one the the prison officials took a tape of a conversation home and his son told him it was Klingon did they even know where to start.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
check out artist Big L song ebonics seriously hiphop fan one of my favorite rap tracks ever worth a listen thou

-peace or should i say "one" !

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

lmao...seriously biker's using Klingon talk to communicate?!

A majority of the middle-upper class responsible in government jobs do not have any clue what anything other than proper English is...and don't misspell or misuse a word, they will call you out on it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I started a thread on this in the morning:

ATS

Search box, folks.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

Actually this thread started last night.

Just saying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join