It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God wants to pay your debts!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hi All, this is my first official thread, so please be nice.

MODS: I don’t know if I put this in the correct area so please feel free to move to the correct forum

Last night, I turned on the TV and before I can change the channel I saw something that left me awestruck.
My initial reaction was to LMFAO. My husband came in and saw it and said to me “hey you never know”

Well, it was an infomercial about Rev. Peter Popoff and how God wants to pay my debts. All that we had to do was to call in for some miracle water and he will pray for my debts, then a series of instructional letters were going to be sent to me and if I follow them to a ‘T’ I will be receiving a check in the mail that were divine transfers and supernatural money. There were all types of people claiming that they received a check for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those series of ‘instructional’ letters that you receive are requests for donations to his ministry while doing some stupid sacrifice like eat a special salt for 3 days, sleep with a bottle of water and then drink it first thing in the morning. Oh BTW it isn’t just any water he claims it to be Russian water that came from near a nuclear reactor accident site. The animals that drank from this spring that was near the accident site were radiation free. (Really??)

First, I thought OMG how can people be so freaking gullible, and then my husband’s comment made me think how many people think like my husband and call in.

So I started to do some research. Lo and behold my gut reaction was right; this guy is a scam artist and an effective one too. This guy is a millionaire that steals your money. All this started back in the 80’s this guy started as wanting to heal you. He was debunked on national TV, now he lied dormant for 20 years.
Why would MSM media allow these types of infomercials?? I mean really when was the last time that anyone here in the US saw infomercials like in the 90’s for Ms. Cleo types?

Are TPTB or the NWO trying to make us so mad at God that we lose our faith all together so they can feed us their own doctrine to control us more??
I know a lot of you are going to state that you can never be that gullible, but this guy is a millionaire, his kids rake in more cash than most politicians.
To be honest before last night I have never heard of the guy or even seen him, but he competes with most A- list movies stars pay wise, so that makes a whole lot of gullible people around the world.
I find it sad that as the times are harrowing on most of the world, this guy just comes and takes advantage of the only thing that is left that is Free in this world, Faith.
How can this man have not been stripped of his reverend title??

I know that you should never question God and his plan and I’m sure that the Devil is just filing his tooth awaiting this guys arrival in his dark world, but when I see sh*t like this I really question the fact that he allows people like this to be rich and the real humble hardworking man that has unwavering faith is really struggling economically.

Any opinions on this matter???

I am including his website here for those who have no idea who the heck this man is as well as a Wikipedia link for his history

Wikipedia

His website

Edit to correct grammer and spelling

[edit on 23-8-2010 by qbanthinker305]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I love that "filing his tooth," I see this decrepit, dissipated, red-skinned flop-horned potbelly sitting in front of his computer filing one measly, yellowed fang, hahaha.
I wish people like this faith-phisher were removed, it is just too sad anyone supports salesmen in religion or government.
blessings.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If you turn off your television all of these things mysteriously disappear ,its like they never existed.I think pushing that on/off switch is the ultimate cure and sure beats drinking heavy water.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Hardy Har Har. I know that I don't have to watch it and normally I just would've changed the channel, but how many people don't do that and actually call and donate to this dumb ass their hard earned money???

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Ha Ha

That was the same thing that I had in mind

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well....How idiotic can people be?
And even worse is that the reason most people buy into it is because the label God is in it. Its just sad that the world has come to people scamming money when an honest life can be more than fulfilling.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
am I the only person who has a tiny bit of interest in the mechanics of how these characters get away with this?

brain washing and mind control has always fascinated me, and some of these, erm, 'preachers' must be really skilled , albeit, in a undesireable way.

According to wikipedia...

"At Popoff's peak in 1987, according to his comptroller, he took in $4.3 million a month"

A MONTH !

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by qbanthinker305

I would say many many people have given him money for his bag of tricks,maybe they just trust anyone who is affiliated with your god.Blind faith would be an apt description.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
wait....i sent my money in....i'm waiting for my vial of water

now you're saying i shoulda......never mind

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This guys awesome, and a millionare you say?

If anyone want there debt cleard just PM me and paypal my account to the tune of 29.95 to receive your Holy Water, straight from the Gulf of Mexico itself, blessed by corporate execs such as Obama himself!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The saddest thing is that this guy is taking from those least able, and most vulnerable.

And yet, maybe there is something even worse.

The pathetic people who get their dumb water, and when it doesn't work, they wonder why God wouldn't come through for them...

And then they look in the mirror, and kick themselves again, and imagine that they're just never going to be good enough...

AND THEN, yet another charlatan "preacher" starts yapping out of their TV, this time telling them how it's NOT their fault, and if they just send their money to him, God will be very honored/pleased/happy...

How often does this cycle repeat, in some way or another?

Sheesh. Anyone else ready to join us terrible agnostics yet?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Well this has to be the most naive thread I've ever read

I know a lot of you are going to state that you can never be that gullible,

Dude, pop into any church on any given sunday and you will be surrounded by the most unimaginable gullibility.

Peter Popdude is no worse than any other christian type making wild claims about the godman. Whether it be magik pillows, water or underwear , the evidence is exactly the same as any other claims about the bible god ie -

Zeor Zilch Nada Nothing .

Now if you want to see real gullibility check out the millions of people that believe, that there is an imaginary man that lives in the sky , who would create a tsunami that kills thousands of his own creation, yet a baby that somehow survives is a miracle !!!!!

God bless the gullible they keep the poor in rags and the rich in Armani.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
[color=skyblue]To my dear fellow faithful brother and sister Religious folks here on the forums, I have a wonderful gift directly from God that I wish to offer you!!!

Being that everyone knows that our nice faithful folk here are intelligent and non-gullible, I am happy to offer them my ONE TIME SPECIAL OFFER that is directly from God!!!

[color=yellowgreen]My faithful intelligent, non-gullible Religious folks, I offer to you my MIRACLE BAG OF DIRT!!!!

THAT'S RIGHT, directly from GOD comes this wonderful BAG OF MIRACLE DIRT that will make you WEALTHY, and CURE all of your problems. For a LIMITED TIME ONLY, you may instant-message me and I will give you the ordering information for you all to get your BAG OF MIRACLE DIRT from God!!!

[color=violet]The price is $29.99, and all profits are mailed directly to God!!

By sending me your payment of just $29.99, God will bless you with this BAG OF MIRACLE DIRT, you will also get a free ticket to heaven card and extra attention from God when you pray just for ordering now!!!

[color=springgreen]Hurry folks, God is waiting for you to send me your $29.99 for your MIRACLE BAG OF DIRT.

Intelligent, and non-gullible faithful folks ONLY!!!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Messiah_Tooth_Fairy]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Its not that Christains are gullible (Being one myself) Its just most of them are either to lazy or don't care about money to research someone.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Xionmir]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wish I could remember which "ministry" I saw that tells people if you are in debt to a credit card, use that credit card up to the limit in a donation to God (through him, of course) and God will bless that card, cancel the debt and give you even more.

My mouth dropped so far, I got a cramp in my jaw. And people were testifying it worked for them.

To bad it wasn't the Church of TJMaxx.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The sad fact is that people will watch this type of blasphemous nonsense and believe it is actually what God promises for anyone.

Other people will watch it and be put off God's word.

Others will confirm that God's word is nothing but nonsense because of this false teaching.

Its a miracle that there are still people who have eyes and ears but its all in the book if anyone dares pick it up.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Heh, I couldn't believe this topic. I actually heard of the infomercial from a friend quite some time ago and decided to try it out just to investigate.

Well, 4 months later and about 12 or so letters, the verdict is in. I, of course, never sent him any money because the letters say "if you can't spare any than oh well" in more or less words. Regardless, the letters are crafted in a way to sound most personal and connecting to an inividual. At least that was what I thought until my friend and I traded off, revealing the exact same letters with a Bible verse flipped out here and there.

Sadly, my friend sent the man money and thus his letters have doubled to one a week, and mine have trickled to one a month or so. This was all it took to see the true motive of the individual but hey, at least I got a snazzy slittle mood color changer cross out of the deal.

Yeah, definately stay away from the Popoff.

top topics

join