It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder in video games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm making a confession, i love murdering people, i murder Nazis, American Soldiers, British Soldiers, Brazillian Militants, Afghan militia.

In games like GTA4 i choose my target through a sniper scope in a crowded group of people and fire, as the crowd scatter i fire at there legs as they run and smile to myself when i see the police glaring down the road only to take a shot at the driver and have the car spin out of control.

It's all good fun, but is it? It's harmless, i would never even consider committing acts such as this in real life.

I want a broad opinion of ATSers on this subject, what do you think?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
HAHA! Fun isn't it when we are playing and we are so transfixed that we almost live the moment.

If we really do happen to be in such a situation in real life, will we find it just as easy to fire away and save our a**es or will we chicken out and be shot by someone more willful than us?

There is always the theory that violence in video games corrupt kids.. but is it only for kids?
are the subconscious levels in "adults" tougher to be penetrated?

Or are we just living a crazy life in a crazy video game already ???

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I love the GTA games too, I don't think violence in a video game has any connection to your ability to commit violent acts in real life, just like I don't usually feel like waging war on the monarchy after I play a game of chess

I have however found myself confused about which side of the road I am supposed to be driving on after I finish playing Burnout and the have to go back to driving on the left (in the UK)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My thoughts?

OK. If you're looking for psychoanalysis you're just going to pay $450.00 an hour like the rest of us!

Now, beyond that, yeah I've lost a few hours mowing down civies while playing games like GTA or Saints Row.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I too am a murderer. Cops, civillians, monsters, animals, horses... whatever i can murder i do. These past few weeks have been spent murdering Nazi Zombies. I prefer to shoot them in the head and watch them turn into pink mist. I think ill do a little murdering when i get home.

That being said. I have i 5 year old doughter, whom i have custody of, whom i love very much. I own my own car and am buying a house. Im 27 and have been in school for the past 5 years to become a licensed land surveyor. I work at a Civil Engineering Company and enjoy my job very much. I never play my games in front of my daughter. In fact i dont even play when she is awake.

Have violent video games turned me into a bad person???

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
[color=444444]Subliminal Manipulation today. Can you see it?

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I'm making a confession, i love murdering people, i murder Nazis, American Soldiers, British Soldiers, Brazillian Militants, Afghan militia.

ya, that first sentence is a tad bit disturbing me thinks.
[color=444444]Subliminal Manipulation today. Can you see it?

is there any reason i should be concerned? i'm hoping i stay off the video games' choices for demographic. [color=444444]Subliminal Manipulation today. Can you see it?
here you go, this might put a smile on your face:
www.dailymotion.com...

In games like GTA4 i choose my target through a sniper scope in a crowded group of people and fire, as the crowd scatter i fire at there legs as they run and smile to myself when i see the police glaring down the road only to take a shot at the driver and have the car spin out of control.

do you have a liscense to carry any firearms you might own?

I want a broad opinion of ATSers on this subject, what do you think?

questionable of society.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Kill pixels, not people.

Thats all I can add.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I discovered the cathartic value of video games years ago playing Doom, Quake, and more recently, GTA...Nothing like getting a recharge from a street walker, then bashing her brains in and getting your money back...

Seriously, I see no problem with video violence, especially when consciously used in a therapeutic context. If it purges one of one's demonic urges, so much the better.

So re-load, partner. That police chopper's almost in range...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
its ok, as long as u know the difference of fiction and reality.

i will own u in COD Modern Warfare 2

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have always enjoyed playing Grand Theft Auto since the very first one, but it has never compelled me to run somebody over for the comical 'splat' sounds, or clear out a warehouse full of the mob. I would think adults should have the ability to understand the difference between computer game entertainment and real life, children on the other hand could be twisted by it. Not so much by the game play but more so by the glamorization and excitement of casual violence and murder. Some games are eery the way they seem to be like training facilities for the military. Are they really 'just games'?
Should games centred around violence and murder be classed as 'entertainment'? Because if a scene from GTA really happened infront of my eyes I certainly would not be entertained.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with this at all..!!

Red Dead Redemption is coming my way tomorrow and im severely looking forward to tying a sleazy hooker to the train tracks, sitting back on my trusty steed and witnessing the carnage..!! MUAHAHAHAHA

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Ill take you up on that, add me

psn name is same as my ats name

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

If you want to dominate. Add SewageEasement.

On topic. Dont worry someone will always bitch about something. So in other words... Everything everywhere is either being bitched about, going to be bitched about, or has previously been bitched about to no avail.

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone was going to post something about video games. I was born in 1955. In 1962 I asked my father for a tv, that I could control the characters, on. Make sense? I wanted a video game. There was no such thing in 1962. My father was a chemical engineer and he said,"I'll look into it." Anyway I've been playing video games ever since they first came out. I'm a murderer.
In GTA 4 TBOGT, I like getting into it with the cops and parachuting my way to safety. When I was working for the government, the office next door was full of computers running Windows 95. I'd go in when nobody was around and play Doom, some times for hours at a time. On the clock. I love gaming.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think society as a whole is pretty numb to violence in tv, movies and videogames,

I mean most people would see a heated argument on tv or a crazy fight on tv and they would hardly be affected by it,

But in real life when people see 2 people just screaming at each other, they get scared out of their minds

So I dont think violence in videogames has any effect on people in the real world

There are those that has psychological problems, but that stems from upbringing, chemical imbalances in the brain, cultural normalcy,
Those types of people were already messed up in the head way before they started playing any videogames or watching any type of movies

If you look at serial killers of the past like manson or dahmer, there were no videogames for them to play back then, maybe only Pacman,
and maybe that is why they became serial killers, because they didnt have an outlet for all that built up aggression

Anyways,
I love First Person Shooters,
I play for 1 to 3 hours every single day,
And I am a pretty peaceful, humble, social person,

Since you guys all love First Person Shooters you guys should download the game "Counter Strike 1.6 Nonsteam" Its free
and It has literally been the most popular online FPS on the planet for the past 10+ years and its free to play online

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
IMO...its just a game. I take more satisfaction in kicking someone's ass and never thought of it as "killing". After quake, unreal, and halo.....1st person shooters gone down hill. I would own any of you in quake if it were still popular. unless you are thresh....

[edit on 8/23/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Empires and dimensions have been destroyed under my actions, heroes have fallen, rogues have been betrayed, dragons have dropped from the skies. Intergalactic trade routes have been blocked and fantastical castles have crumbled.

Gangsters and nazis cower at the sound of my user-name, villains hide in their shadowy lairs fearful of my epic (gaming) powers and tetris lines have been vanquished.

Don't mess with gamers.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I really see no problem with games. The anti-violence people seem to be all sucked up with the "statistics" that there is more crimes and since there are more games, more violent games. So they think like this Murder>Children with violent games. when in reality with the more people there are the bigger a variety in tastes of games and more people to make these games. so there are more violent games created. And with a bigger population more murders will occur so the anti violent game people connect 2 separate problems with similar causes. I don't know if i made any sense there

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I know one thing for sure, if we ever experience a nuclear fallout i'll be alright. If the world is plagued by super mutants weilding semi-automatics and ghouls ready to rip my face off I'm prepared. All those hours of exploring Fallout 1,2 & 3 will finally pay off.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

I had that game since release and i never did that

On topic shoot one pixel up pops another it's fun and a release from stress and wile your playing your not outside going GTA on the neighborhood

Thankyou

top topics

<<   2 >>

join