It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microbes Survive 553 Days in Outer Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
United Kingdom (AHN) - Small chunks of cliff rock containing bacteria taken from a small English fishing village of Beer in Devon, were exposed for 553 days to extreme ultraviolet light, cosmic rays and dramatic shifts in temperature when placed outside the European Space Agency’s (ESA) International Space Station launched in 2008.

Read more: www.allheadlinenews.com...

The experiment’s study leader, Dr Karen Olsson-Francis told BBC News: "It has been proposed that bacteria could be used in life-support systems to recycle everything.

------------

Apparently this has huge importance for the reality of having man living on the moon and mars, surely in the next 60 years this will be reality.

Exciting times ahead

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.

I believe this to be quite an important discovery. One that has startling implications for science.

Microbes can survive in such an inhospitable environment, so surely it must be possible for them to survive on planets and other environments out in space. This for me has greatly increased the chances of relatively complex life evolving somewhere out there.

Nice find, Kiwifoot

[edit on 23-8-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Maybe they survived but wouldn't all that radiation induce some kind of genetic mutations?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
Starred and flagged.

I believe this to be quite an important discovery. One that has startling implications for science.

Microbes can survive in such an inhospitable environment, so surely it must be possible for them to survive on planets and other environments out in space. This for me has greatly increased the chances of relatively complex life evolving somewhere out there.

Remember all those books from the 60s and 70s, suggesting we humans had been transported to this planet (in microbial form) on space debris ? There was even a book entitled 'We Come From Outer Space', although can't remember the authors

So yes, important scientific discover alright

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
"We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
back to the garden" - from woodstock, joni mitchell

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9