It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Floods - A serious Threat to US ALL !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hello All

Just been watching the 6pm news on BBC TV and have to say that I am shocked by the sheer scale of the devastation of that country by flooding... I have to say I am a little ashamed that I have not really 'understood' the hardship and suffering that is going on in a country of 166 Million people.

It was nice to see that the UK is leading the way with donations and has been recognized by the UN for doing so.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I have since donated £50 via the DEC.org.uk site and hope we all can see that this is a major problem...... possibly brewing for the future.

Apparently the USA is 'watching' closely because of the potential for extremists and the Taliban ''Re-Surging'' in that area because of the sheer desperation of the people....

No food, Not much drinking water, no work, NO home, the clothes on your back in a country which at best, is unstable.... It's a recipe for disaster isn't it..?

When you have nothing and there appears to be nothing COMING then people will look to survive and EMBRACE anything..... Nazi Germany in the 30's the people had little , inflation was crippling people, extremism took over and we know the rest.....

I think if the world doesn't get it's act together with this then we might Rue the day when we could of !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hey PurpleDog UK, I had forgotten about this and did not realize how bad it was so thanks for the reminder. I share in the shame of ignorance too. Man, 1500 dead, tens of thousands of villages destroyed, and 20 million affected....wow!

Here's some more perspective:

Such tragedy to an already unstable region, and the lack of response by their gov is insult to injury....what's up with that?

spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

speculativeoptimist

A BIG Thankyou for noticing this Important thread..... you are the only person so far this evening to respond to this thread and to recognize that this situation is VERY serious indeed...

You make a good point when you said
and the lack of response by their gov is insult to injury....what's up with that?'
The terrible SHAME is that it is ALL OUR Governments who seem to be a little slow here.... Is there a reason ?? are they hoping it goes away ??

We all 'PREACH' about having humanity and a decent society, just because it is a different country doesn't mean we should ignore it !!

As I said it could be an opportunity to illustrate to many different cultures what Humanity is not what it shouldn't be !!!

Thanks again speculativeoptimist

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

No food, Not much drinking water, no work, NO home, the clothes on your back in a country which at best, is unstable.... It's a recipe for disaster isn't it..?

When you have nothing and there appears to be nothing COMING then people will look to survive and EMBRACE anything..... Nazi Germany in the 30's the people had little , inflation was crippling people, extremism took over and we know the rest.....

You make a very good point. HOWEVER giving money does one thing, it enriches the scum that collect the money. I live in Honduras which is has still not been given over $1.4 billion in money assigned to them. Ask the countries concerned what they did with it and the reply is "I was not in government at that time, sorry I can not tell you".

For Haiti hundreds of millions were raised and again hardly any of the money actually got to Haiti. The American Red Cross run by an ex president raised hundreds of millions for the camps housing people and NONE of it got there!

Helping people is a MUST, but giving your money so some rich self serving scum bag can steal it, claiming administrative costs is pointless.

You are also forgetting the reason why the US is watching! They want chaos, they want anarchy, because it is their stated aim to invade them also. What a great excuses to be invading yet another country to free them from more terrorist (people feeding, clothing and providing health care to the masses)

Granted these people have their own slant of government which usually requires total subservience, but when you only alternative is watching your children die, I would convert to any ideology or religion!

I am not bashing you OP, but the picture is much greater than simply donating money. I lived in Zimbabwe when the World Bank gave them a feebie in the form of $170 million for tractors and harvest equipment (to be used collectively for free) so the poorest people can work larger fields.

Our governments allowed the equipment to be RENTED out to the commercial farms for a fraction of what they should have been rented for instead of letting the poor farmers bring in their crops. So the rich got richer and the poor people had to let their crops rot.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yes its bad poor people are suffering but Pakistan isnt so poor ...theyve been spending their money on nuclear weapons which point at India....theres mass corruption....do people want to donate money knowing its going to be stolen?? Theres a lot of rich middle eastern countries who have given next to nothing to help their neighbor....Pakistan government is screaming about other countries not doing enough but they need to sort their country out properly.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am one of those who think that the US government is using the abilities of HAARP to disrupt that part of the world including what is happening in Russia & China. These are their perceived enemies and we will be in Pakistan as we are in Afghanistan. You can do nothing about the disaster in Pakistan. Whatever you give will be controlled by those in power.
Massive aid has gone to Africa and into the pockets of those in charge.
Aid has gone to Haiti and elsewhere and into the pockets of those in charge.
All it takes is for the good men to do nothing and nothing is what you get.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Another couple of threads along the same lines on this in recent days...

Terrorist groups jump in to help flood victims

In Pakistan floods, U.S. must step into breach

Here's a security brief from CriticalThreats.org for what that's worth.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is a test for hearts and minds between the West and the Taliban. Who will succeed? That is the question? At present, I find it hard to believe Pakistani's from the flood ravaged region embracing ideologies or causes of any group at this time. Moreover, the most important thing I see them thinking about is where they are going to find a warm meal, shelter, and tracking down missing or displaced relatives.

That flood is a natural disaster on a biblical scale, and about as serious as the Tsunami of 2004. Millions are affected by this and who knows how many have perished? One thing is for certain, the Taliban are going to exploit the chaos for their cause, as well as the Pakistani Government and the US/West.

We shall see who will be looked upon as the most compassionate; the extremists or the "so called," Western Civilization? This is a very relevant story, because it has the potential of evolving into a clash of cultures when the flood waters dissipate and the people return to normalcy. Will they resort to Jihad or carry on with their lives in peace and civility?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Are these latest disasters a way of reducing the world population?

The PTB can't justifiably be blamed for an act of God. Or so it would seem.

I abhor such heinous action but if I were trying to reduce the population and was to benefit by it I would call it an ingenious plan to have nature take the blame for the deaths.

new topics

top topics

join