It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifth Grader Refuses To Say Pledge of Allegiance Until Gays Gain Equality

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Earlier thread here.

I am glad to see this back on the front page and still support this child's right to protest.

edit: I see this earlier thread was already linked.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Seiko]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
reply to post by Annee

I did not know it was altered so many times, and I understand, not everyone believes in God. I was actually referring to the monotone, uniform delivery of its sentiments....seemed rather robotic and devoid of any emotion. Brainwashing anyone?

Did you look up the history?

Anyway - - when most people look at the scenes of German children pledging to the 3rd Reich - - - they are horrified.

They don't connect it to American children pledging allegiance. Did you know the Hitler salute - - was adopted from America. It was only after that we changed to putting our hand over our heart.

rexcurry.net...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
reply to post by Annee

I did not know it was altered so many times, and I understand, not everyone believes in God. I was actually referring to the monotone, uniform delivery of its sentiments....seemed rather robotic and devoid of any emotion. Brainwashing anyone?

Did you look up the history?

In fact I did. 4 times according to wikipedia

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I smell a rat.
It's obious this kid was encouraged and prepped to say those things by some gay rights activist.

This should be considered some type of child abuse because this kid should be concerened with normal 5th grade activities.

normal 5th grade activities...

hypocracy 101 starts at high school, not elementry/jr high.

You know what else is child abuse? Teaching a child about religion, then every morning having them stand and swear loyalty to a colorful cloth and what it represents.

heres a thought...maybe the kid is having gay feelings and his dad listens to fox news constantly running stories on how gay marriage will kill the world...and asked his dad why if this is the country of the free, gay people cant get married...

or maybe he was prepped..or maybe he is just bored...who cares, the boy expressed his rights, and thats that...I would myself have refused to do the pledge until everyday in the cafeteria was pizza and french fries day personally at that age, but meh...I didn't have bigger concerns about my sexuality..I knew what I liked, and it was called dads playboy collection.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

What a waste.
That kid may be intelligent but why is wasting his time talking and pushing for gay rights?
Geez, they already have all the rights they need to lead a successful life.

This kid should devote his time doing something that all of mankind can benefit from.

Maybe he's gay?

This is disgusting.

Why should it matter if the kid is gay? Gay people have just as much a right to protest injustice as anyone else.

And if you believe gays have "all the rights they need to lead a successful life", you probably thought blacks had "all the rights they need[ed] to lead a successful life" under Jim Crow laws.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
EDIT: Double Post, sorry

[edit on 23-8-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The story said that the family has "many gay friends" and that they go to parades and rallies. So obviously there is parental / outside influence.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

What a waste.
That kid may be intelligent but why is wasting his time talking and pushing for gay rights?

This kid should devote his time doing something that all of mankind can benefit from.

Maybe he's gay?

In Texas, the Republicans basically have a platform which says they want to legalize discrimination and even violent crimes against homosexuals. So, you may believe they have all the rights they need, but there is an ugly conservative movement to strip their rights and make gays into some sub class of Americans.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Kaploink]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
The story said that the family has "many gay friends" and that they go to parades and rallies. So obviously there is parental / outside influence.

Nearly EVERYTHING a young kid does is influenced by his parents, friends and their beliefs. Of course, the kid didn't research gay rights completely on his own, out of the blue, but his parents didn't push him to make this statement at school. HE ASKED THEM about it.

Kids are born a blank slate. They hang out with their parents. Of course they are influenced by their parents. What your point? Are you suggesting that they pushed him to do it?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
My daughter (going into fifth grade this year) refuses to partake in the pledge of allegiance until "the republic is truly free and there is justice for all" and I quote! Her teacher last year was quite respectful and just made her stand during the pledge. I wonder what her teacher next year is going to say! I hope she isn't in the news like this kid. I envy her resolve for personal freedom.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes. I'm VERY MUCH suggesting they pushed him to do it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Well, you're entitled to have your suspicions and make stuff up based on them. There's nothing in this story to suggest that he was pushed. So, that's coming completely from you.

Several other members have shared their experiences with this kind of thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well you know what, I went out and read up more on the story. I didn't realize this kid skipped a grade, etc etc. So yeah I take it back. Perhaps he did take this upon him self.

I withdraw my comments.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Wow, I really appreciate that! Props to you for looking further into the story to find the truth! I wish we had more ATS members who are willing to do that.
Too many times, people form views based on the title of an article or an obviously biased piece, and aren't willing to look into it to see if their assumptions are correct or not, they just hold onto their position as if their life depends on it.

Well done!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
He's 10 years old, he probably doesn't know much about gay rights, but wants to stand up for something that he sees as an injustice in the world.

That means he's being manipulated by a group of persons to speak on their behalf. Any group of persons can manipulate a single child to trumpet their views. This is actually sick stuff at its core.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Either kids are growing up really fast or being indoctrinated really fast...maybe both. I guess it's good in a sense that this kid is being taught about tolerance for those that are different or in the minority. But one does have to question why a 10 year-old child would have such strong social-political views at such a young age. Kids that age should be having fun and developing their minds - not acting as extensions of their parents' ideological views.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

What a waste.

Maybe he's gay?

All the rights they need to lead a successful life? I wasn't aware of the fact that there were certain rights needed for life and some, that by extrapolating your own statement, are to be considered luxury rights. I am rather curious what the determining factors are to classify a right as needed versus a luxury right?

Furthermore I engaged in similar behavior at his age regarding the pledge of allegiance and prayer in school. I was not influenced to do what I did by outside factors. My motivation for these "protestations" came from a desire to form a stronger sense of self. I used my own rationale and reason to form my views and then acted to support those views when needed.

A younger person's words are considered very wise by many culture's and religions. In the Bible Psalms 8:2 and Matthew 21:16 reference this.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Either kids are growing up really fast or being indoctrinated really fast...maybe both.

A 10-year-old child does not have the necessary amount of time and independence as an adult to make enough mistakes in life to learn by experience and come to their own conclusions. Anytime children are used to state political or religious views it is indoctrination even if those views are correct.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

A 10-year-old child does not have the necessary amount of time and independence as an adult to make enough mistakes in life to learn by experience and come to their own conclusions. Anytime children are used to state political or religious views it is indoctrination even if those views are correct.

Obviously you do not know my 10 year old granddaughter.

Are kids influenced by their parents opinions/thoughts - view of life - and involvement in life? Of course they are. Who would you want them to be influenced by? Hannah Montana?

But - believe me - - 10 year olds today are very aware and can be very outspoken on a variety of real life issues.

We have an open discussion home. Nothing is off topic. And I can tell you my 10 year old granddaughter has her own thoughts and speaks her own mind. Not always agreeing with me or her mom.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
Furthermore I engaged in similar behavior at his age regarding the pledge of allegiance and prayer in school. I was not influenced to do what I did by outside factors. My motivation for these "protestations" came from a desire to form a stronger sense of self. I used my own rationale and reason to form my views and then acted to support those views when needed.

So you had a developed sense of rationale and reason at the age of 10? Bit of an early bloomer, weren't you? Where did this desire to form a stronger sense of self emanate from? A friend? A wise relative?

A younger person's words are considered very wise by many culture's and religions. In the Bible Psalms 8:2 and Matthew 21:16 reference this.

That may be so, but common sense tells us that children lack the necessary experience and mental maturity to be making such strong social/political stands at such a young age. Therefore, the likelihood that this is a publicity stunt by his guardians for the Gay Right's movement is very high. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but if that is the case should they be using an innocent child to channel their ideological views?

[edit on 25/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join