It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R F I D coming to a recycling bin near you!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It would be a stretch to say that Big Brother will hang out in Clevelanders' trash cans, but the city plans to sort through curbside trash to make sure residents are recycling -- and fine them $100 if they don't.
Trash carts containing more than 10 percent recyclable material could lead to a $100 fine, according to Waste Collection Commissioner Ronnie Owens.

City Council on Wednesday approved spending $2.5 million on high-tech carts for 25,000 households across the city, expanding a pilot program that began in 2007 with 15,000 households.

The expansion will continue at 25,000 households a year until nearly all of the city's 150,000 residences are included. Existing carts might be retrofitted with the microchips.

source link blog.cleveland.com...

hmm i wonder what else these bin chips can do that we wont be told about

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
also Germany are pushing it now

Germany's plan to roll out RFID-equipped national identification cards, which would allow the government to track individuals more easily, is creating controversy. Security experts complain that some information on the card may be easy to steal due to lax protections. (Source: International Business Times)

link
www.dailytech.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
why oh why would any government want to know exactly where to find everyone...

Fishy me thinks. How about we track US senators all the way to the gay stip club and see how much they like it.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
They're doing it here in the UK too.

One "easy" explanation for it in one circumstance is that we have to pay for some (garden waste) bins additionally if we want them, so the chip prevents us just buying a cheaper (same colour) bin from elsewhere...

Of course I don't think this is the only reason, it's just another opportunity to squeeze an extra tax out of us.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
My garbage bin outside is already fitted with RFID. As of now they use it to weigh the amount of garbage you have them pick up. Its offcourse fitted with adres-data, wich as a benefit protects one from being stolen.

Big Brother is moving in.. Its only a matter of time before people will face mandatory personal RFID or a variant of it. It will be our choice soon wether we'll let them inplant us or not, facing dire consequences when refusing...

I wonder how far they'll take this in the future...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In Ontario you can get a 100$ fine I believe for not using a green bin, for composting. Really they are sending out garbage police. I'd seriously contest it and say look My garbage my choice.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm with Faceoff85 here. Our bins ( 1 green for main waste, 1 brown for biological waste, 1 green with a blue lid for paper, they make yet another separate visit for plastics that we place in a plastic bag. ) Out here they've been chipped for at least 6 months maybe even longer.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have heard of this happening in the UK and I never quite understood what (apart from common decency) is to stop you from sneaking your garbage into your neighbors bins and getting him a big fine?

I'm pretty sure that if this was instigated in the area I live most of the idiots around here would be dumping their rubbish bags into the street at night

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by madmax8

I wouldn't doubt it.

You know, I've never considered myself to be a paranoid person, but two weeks ago, my apartment started "valet trash pickup". WTF?? The giant trash bin is only 100 feet from my apartment door. People are too lazy to take their own trash to the giant trash bin?

Then I thought, no there must be some other motive for this. What company could possibly make money only from collecting trash from lazy people's front door?

For a moment, I thought maybe it was being run by the Mob, and they want to go through your trash to steal your private information, for identity theft.

But now that I read this post, it sounds more like a "pilot program" for RFIDing people's trash.

No way will I participate. I am capable of taking out my own trash, thank you very much.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Weird. I was in Cleveland just 11 months ago, and at least where I was, they didn't even HAVE a recycling program. Or use trash cans, for that matter. You stuck everything in trash bags and left it on the curb.

top topics

join