It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100Km long traffic jam in China enters day 9

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
BP is loving it. Their new customers burnin' fuel and providing entertainment at the same time. Poor folks, what a nightmare. I thought the 12-hour jams from Las Vegas were bad.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I cannot believe how many people here on ATS are laughing at those poor souls. Just imagining it gives me the worst case scenario and quadruples it. 9 DAYS !!! There but for the Grace of God go I.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Did anyone else see this part?

This is not the first time the highway has faced such congestion.

A similar backup in July kept traffic to a crawl for nearly a month, Xinhua reported.

A MONTH???
How the
does that happen???

Wasn't it China that was thinking about those buses that cars drive under? It was on ATS recently, I'll try to find it.

Edit to add China to build ginormous buses that cars can drive under

[edit on 8/23/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
That's one heck of a traffic jam. I wouldn't want to sit in that. I like this quote from the OP article:

"We are advised to take detours, but I would rather stay here since I will travel more distance and increase my costs"

Really? sitting in traffic burning up your fuel cost less than taking alternate routes?

Whenever you find an absurd quote like that in a story about China, especially from the CBC, it`s always wise to look a little deeper.

Wang, driving from Hohhot to Tianjin in a coal truck, had been on the Huai'an section for three days and two nights.

"We are advised to take detours, but I would rather stay here since I will travel more distance and increase my costs," Wang said.

"The number of roads from northwest China to Beijing are limited," he complained, asking "Why should I pay the toll fee?"

Original article

There is also a map attached, and a photo of the actual road (on page 1 of the article). From the look of things, the driver would have to travel several hundred additional km of toll road to get to his destination via the alternate route.

Makes a bit more sense when you have the whole story.

More subtle propaganda from the CBC. Notice that their choice of photos more closely resembles the type of traffic that Toronto residents will encounter on a daily basis. The message: feel good about yourself, stuck in traffic for 5 hours on a holiday weekend. Chinese people sit in this exact same thing for days on end.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I would love to see a helicopter flyby of this historic traffic jam.

This begs to question how did China get so many people?

When early humans traveled East along the Ocean shorelines towards modern day China they started to make settlements increasingly Northward into mainland China until they soon realized that they were trapped by the Himalayas Mtn. Range, and then later the Great Wall of China. So, they were stuck in China and have just kept piling up on themselves until present day?

Or did they just make babies, babies, babies, and more babies?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What actually starts the jam?
Chinese fire drill?
Someone up at the front going 5 kmh with the left blinker on waiting to make a lane change to the right?
Double-parked rickshaw?

*"Chinese fire drill"- car stops, or is already stopped, and everyone gets out and runs around the car.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by abecedarian]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join