It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liam Fox defends call for ban of Medal of Honor game

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

you gotta be kidding me! brought up star wars before you did

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
wonder how big this game is going to be??.. 5-6 discs, gawd the taliban has had world againist them for ever!!, there will just be add on and add ons, never any end. maybe in multiplayer u can be osama bin ladin! haha or obama! lol, got to love EA games!

ITS IN THE GAME

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I dont know what the hubbub is all about!

In Battlefield 1942 you can play as Allies, or Axis.

In Battlefield Vietnam, you can play as either US and its allies, or you can play as NVA, Vietcong.

In Battlefield 2, you can play as US, Britain, Russia, or you can play as the MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition), Red China, Rebel terrorists against Russia.

Playing as Nazis or the Japanese, Rebels, or terrorists, is part of the game. There will always be bad guys vs good guys.

So the Israelis are gonna moan and groan that in this game you can play as the Taliban. Well too bad. We had the Commies attack the US in Command and Conquer Red Alert. Did you hear people crying about that? The Commies were our #1 enemy..

Its a game. I'd agree it was in bad taste if they had a scenario where you have to take a school full of children hostage, and blow it up, or behead innocent civilians, or US soldiers, or whatever. But I doubt that will be the case here.

[edit on 8/23/2010 by GenRadek]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I can see what they would be worried about.

Impressionable UK kids, playing the Taliban, may be influenced by their plight, and sympathize with them.

Yeah you could be right - this is an ongoing war and these pesky politicans are probably scared to death that their propaganda effort will be compromised or that the game possibly will unwash their brainwashing efforts among the young and moldable sheeple

I don't think that, but i bet they do.

I don't think so either, but you know how incredibly out of touch with reality these elite politicians really are, they don't know crap about regular folks - and I bet that most of them have never played a computer game (other than some late 1970's black & white Pong) in their whole life!

OK! maybe some dork among them tried Tetris once, trying to look hip infront of their grandchildren!

So most of them don't even know what they are talking about anyway!

How is playing the Taliban, and being worried of influence, any different to potentially creating communist or Nazi sympathizers?

I think it is because of the current ongoing war - the other wars are old and the obvious & old transparent propaganda for those wars we laugh at today!

And they don't even understand that most of us are laughing at their current propaganda as well, they are simply delusional! - to put it mildly!

Well thanks for all interesting replies, I didn't think this thread would make 3 pages lol!

But of course, most of us like to play games from time to time, so I am not that surprised to see that most of us think that Mr. Fox is a silly man!

He just single-handedly did EA a huge gigantic favor and marketed the next Medal of Honor through BBC

I didn't plan to buy this game, but now I'm going to buy it and play ONLY as the Talibans!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I am sure I am not the first to say this, but this is nothing new. Way overblown is what this is.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
what next Cowboys vs Indians should be banned?

Just another story which will blow over. Great publicity for the game though. Maybe in the campaign mode their will be a backstory involving who funded them weapons etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Why does no one in authority complain about Rambo III?
If it wasn't for Rambo the russians would control Afghanistan and the Taliban wouldn't be around to fly planes into anyone

"This film is dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan."

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I don't see how this is any different from "Modern Warfare 2" In which one of the levels you're an american spy spraying a heavy machine gun in a mall full of russian civilians. Unarmed russian civilians at that. No one seemed to have an issue when it was America killing innocent people. Besides, its a video game, those whom cannot seperate reality with virtuallity belong in a mental institution.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What about organising a tournament to actually settle the Middle Eastern problem using the game? Instead of killing each other, we could just use the video game. It would probably induce team spirit and camaraderie between players of all teams.

;-P

BTW, no point considering just putting world leaders into a ring and letting them sort it out between themselves as Vladimir Putin would whup them all - he's pretty handy with his fists, haha!

[edit on 24-8-2010 by SugarCube]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i suppose playing as an islamic terrorist is worse than say playing gta, killing a hooker with a lead pipe, shooting ten cops and then running over five old ladies in a high speed pursuit?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
As a soldier in the British Army, I find this slightly distasteful. That is because, unsurprisingly, I do not enjoy the thought of killing British soldiers. It is also unsurprising that Liam Fox, a man who frequently works with British soldiers, does not enjoy the thought of them being killed for fun either. I expect that he is not an avid gamer or understands the mentality of one, all he can perceive is British soldiers being killed for amusement and this is upsetting for him as he can only associate this with them being killed in reality. Use your common sense if you have any.

It all depends on your point of view. Every game needs “bad guys” and if they happen to be human then they will surely have to take on some kind of nationality or section of the population that could be offended. I probably wouldn’t play as Terry myself, but I’d still need bad guys to shoot at and the Taliban make very good candidates. Obviously I would have no problem with people playing as Terry and shooting at me, or the gameplay would be terrible.

Liam Fox shouldn’t worry about people masturbating whilst killing Coalition soldiers in this game or playing it specifically to kill them, because only a small number of sickos will. The rest will enjoy it for the gameplay, realism and the chance to see the war from another perspective.

I am certain that there will be a disproportionate amount of people who would much prefer to fight against the Taliban whilst playing as Coalition soldiers, so if anything it would drum up a little support. He knew that publicity would result from this announcement and no ban would materialise, perhaps it was intentional, but personally I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hey people, video games DO affect people okay.

Before pac man, did you EVER see people running around a dark warehouse, eating white pills and dancing to electronic music?

Absolutely not.

THINK ABOUT IT

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't know if it's been said, but I'm all about the Terrorist side in Counter-Strike.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

THANK YOU!

I almost completely forgot about Counter-Strike! Terrorist vs Counter-Terrorist. Blowing up buildings, trains, ruins, killing VIPs, taking hostages, having a plane load of hostages. And you can also play as Delta, SAS, GIGN for the CT. Terrorists looked like terrorists. And of course, SAS could get killed too!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

i suppose playing as an islamic terrorist is worse than say playing gta, killing a hooker with a lead pipe, shooting ten cops and then running over five old ladies in a high speed pursuit?

No it's just as good

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
did you know that in japan they make video games where you rape women? not just occasionally, the games are strictly about raping women. i think you get points for it or something. anyway where is the outrage about these types of games? oooh terrorists i'm so scared here take my right to free speech and expression please protect me from the scary islamic radical muslims oooh i'm so scared better turn fox news up really loud and put my head under the covers so osama bin laden doesn't get me

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
All this does is show the Ignorance and brain power of this indivdual Liam Fox sounds to me like he hates his life and needs to bitch about non sense, and quite frankly who cares what Britain thinks they are overun by the bilderburgers the Queen of England and her hubby are the Founders of this so called criminal organization.

Someone should create a game Called Kill Liam Fox and we can take pot shots at his big head, I'd buy it!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Fair points soshh, I'm sure you know most of us are behind you boys doing your job out there, i can see why Dr. Fox commented, but usually unless a ban is enacted it usually leads to more sales. e.g. GTA.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by fraggdya

Yup, that's what I said at the end of my post mate

Just to be clear, I'm not against this at all. I found the "No Russian" level slightly distasteful but I still shot at the civvies. A game is a game.

Perhaps the Taliban controls will randomly change during gameplay to make it realistic (just kidding (but not really)).

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
theage.com.au

Taliban game backflip after outcry

Players of a highly anticipated yet controversial upcoming shooter game will not be able to play as the Taliban after the developers responded to a global outcry from soldiers and their families.

Here's an update on this story. It looks like all they are changing is the name, should they have to?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join