It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tortoise and The Scorpion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It was really just another sunny mid summer day, on the banks of the Colorado river. Mr. Tortoise had made his way up a sandy little beach and was lying on his
back getting some sun. Kick'in back sport'in his shades think'in," Life is good. I
have everything I need.

He hadn't noticed the Scorpion on the hollowed out log just a few feet away. Or that this Scorpion was very concerned, with something that was on his mind.
So Mr. Tortus was slightly startled when the scorpion''s voice breached the
silence of the sandy little beach.

" Hey Mr.Tortoise", like most scorpions he sounded very snide with his scruffy sounding scorpion voice. " I wonder if I could ask a favor of you"? Already feeling
good natured in this early part of the day, Mr. Tortoise said, "Well what's the favor
if I can help you out I will".

" Can you see my family over there on the other side of the river? Just a bit up from the shoreline. My wife, my daughter, and the baby boy? The tortus stretching his neck to see," Oh yes I see them. What a fine lil family you have there Mr. Scorpion." "Yes, Mr. Tortoise I wonder if I could hitch a ride on your back, that I can
get over to them. I'm sure they're very hungry without me providing for them for the past few days."

The Tortoise was to wise for that and looked at the scorpion over the top of his shades. " Mr. Scorpion you know that just won't work. If I did that, we wouldn't
make it half way across, before you sting me and then we'd both drown".

So the scorpion was back on his heels again and began to think. He noticed the grass and mushrooms along with some other vegitation growing near to the old log. Suddenly, a lizard charging straight at him out of nowhere. Looking to make a meal out of all the termites in the log, he didn,t see the scorpion, until it was far to late. The scorpion was all over him, stung the lizard two, three and then a forth time, to finish the lizard off. It was over, before the lizard could utter even a word.

The scorpion now had a plan.

" Mr Tortoise, you've been laying there all morning in the sand and sun. I figure you might be get'in hungry about now. So what would you think, if I gathered up some
crisp morning grass and some of those mushrooms you see there. I can cut all that up along with the lizard, fix it all up real nice for ya. I'll even toss on some of those termites to top it off. I could bring that to you. A chefs salad. A nice light meal for ya. Then how about it Mr. Tortoise, would you take me across the river then? So I could feed my family".

The Tortoise only thought for a moment," You know that does sound good. I'm
get'in pretty hungry to, so you know what Mr.Scorpion? You have your self a deal".

So the scorpion served up a delicious chef salad to Mr.Tortoise and the tortoise was very pleased. After they both had rested a bit the scorpion pressed again.
"So are you ready Mr. Tortoise ? I really need to get to my family". The tortoise jumped to his feet and said couragously, "Of course I'm ready friend! Lets get you over there to your family".

The scorpion jumped on the tortoise shell and the tortoise said, "Hold on tight now. Don't let the current take you or you'll be gone. I won't be able to help you". The scorpion said ok as the tortoise scurried into the water and they were on their way. The tortoise didn't even feel the weight of the scorpion. Gliding through the water now, they were almost half way across the river when suddenly. The tortoise felt a deep stabbing, horrendous pain, to the back of his neck.

The tortoise, knowing full well what had just happened, looked back at the scorpion and said, " Mr. Scorpion I don't understand. Now we're all going to die. Even
your family will starve. Why ! Why would you this?" The scorpion glared hatefully at the tortus and in that snide and scruffy scorpion voice he said,

" Cause I'm a scorpion".

I know of several different morals that run through this little fable. I'm betting ATS will come up with those and more besides the ones I Know to be there. Lets hear the different ones you guys come up with.

Edit for my lousy ass spelling of the word tortus

[edit on 23-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I know of several different morals that run through this little fable. I'm betting ATS will come up with those and more besides the ones I Know to be there. Lets hear the different ones you guys come up with.

Beware of suicidal scorpions with culinary skills .......

........especially so - if you are buoyant !

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Usually it's frog and a scorpion, an excellent fable of instinct and nature. Natural Born Killers has another take on it as does The Crying Game.

A classic story, nicely done.

Sendran.

[edit on 23/8/2010 by Sendran]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Thank you Sendran.
I have wondered for sometime now, who wrote this little fable. Maybe if I look under the heading of " The Scorpion and The Frog?" I'll check that.

Umbra

Right off the bat. A very different moral indeed.

Good job mon.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
"As I climb onto your back
I will promise not to sting
I will tell you what you wanna hear
And not mean anything
Then I'll treat you like a dog
As I shoot my venom in
You pretend you didn't know
That I am a scorpion"

Megadeth - The Scorpion

ETA: Sorry, to answer your question...although you present a different version of it, I always took the moral to be about man. Character of men manifests itself when the opportunity to either suppress or embrace our nature arises. Those who can suppress temptation and those who can't, even in the face of death. Those with true character abide. The frog suppressed his fear to allow the scorpion passage to the other bank, the scorpion couldn't, even though it meant killing both of them.

Hope that makes sense to anyone besides me.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

It's all good Cole. I gave you a star for posting the lyrics. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

A classic story, nicely done.

Thought there would be a little more interest than this.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Do you mean interest in your story from the members or the limited comments I posted?

Sendran.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

The interest by all means.
No big deal. I just didn't realise this was
so widely known I guess. I checked to a certain extent and couldn't find that it was already posted.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
sounds like the story of the advancing civilization... and religion.

i think all those religious scorpions met at the lincon memorial today to talk about how after they default on all their debts they are going to attack the non-belivers for the glory of god.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

sounds like the story of the advancing civilization... and religion.
reply to post by Wertdagf

Now thats a little different. Not quite sure what you mean but if you care to explain?

new topics

top topics

join