It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Incredible Color Pictures From A Century Ago

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Great photos. Thank you for the post!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Raven1898

PS: For those of you here that think I might be working for him, or am an associate of his, I am not. I am just a fan of his films.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Quite amazing !! Nice find !

The picture clarity is extraordinary !

Starred and Flagged ! Thank you for sharing

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Nice find and pictures. Like to star you for the effort.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
And your proof that these images are 100 yrs old is???

Despite the very obvious evidence, some of us here are not complete idiots.

Small ask - proof, evidence, supporting data.

Or are you just trying to prove a point as to how gullible the ATS community is?
If so, then job done.

OK, those are my words.

Hands up again - I WAS WRONG

Thanks for all the extra links everyone.

In my defense all I can say is that I wouldn't have thought for a moment that hi-res color images from 1910 even existed.

I am now educated a little more.

What a cracking post.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
And your proof that these images are 100 yrs old is???

Despite the very obvious evidence, some of us here are not complete idiots.

Small ask - proof, evidence, supporting data.

Or are you just trying to prove a point as to how gullible the ATS community is?
If so, then job done.

OK, those are my words.

Hands up again - I WAS WRONG

Thanks for all the extra links everyone.

In my defense all I can say is that I wouldn't have thought for a moment that hi-res color images from 1910 even existed.

I am now educated a little more.

What a cracking post.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by ommadawn]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Well, this is how incredible this is, I'm glad you appreciate this nonetheless, in spite of your previous doubt.

[edit on 24/8/10 by Droogie]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Wow! Some eye opening images you've come across here Droogie!!

However, this is my favourite of them all.

Can you believe they're from 1910? Just 100 years ago...

Thanks for sharing them!

S&F

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Rising Against]

i would love to see a pic of the exact same view as it looks today. can anyone do that? or the next best thing?.. just a thought really..

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Many stunning and classic images! Thanks for drawing attention to this collection. I want to look at every picture.

I wonder if they use a similar process when old black and white movies are "colorized". If not they should consider it, because the results we see here are superb.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Imagine walking from one side to the other. I'm sure obesity wasn't a problem there. Overall it looks so healthy and pure. Now what do they have....Chernobyl?

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Values_Truth]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Hmmm. I thought maybe someone here would want to say something, but I've been ignored and this is typical. So I will post my arguement somewhere else. Enjoy the color photos from Russia. Think about what Jose Escamilla has been trying to tell you all along about NASA deliberately denying you the real true colors of the Moon.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That is amazing. Thanks for posting! Just think if they were able to do this what else is out there that we don't know about...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Wow this is truly amazing and hard to believe that these pictures were taken that long ago. I remember a time when b/w cameras were standard til the late 80's...

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iandh

thee first pic looks like it 's painted or somthi?
anyone agree?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The photographer took 3 black-and-white pictures through 3 different filters, then combined those black-and-white pictures (projected through color lenses) to make an "approximate" true color picture.

This is also how old colour movie stock used to be preserved, because colour film degrades much more rapidly than B&W. George Lucas did it to the Star Wars prints, I believe.

I suppose it's all digital now.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by twentythreedom

i would love to see a pic of the exact same view as it looks today. can anyone do that? or the next best thing?.. just a thought really.

Shouldn't be hard. This is the capital of modern Georgia.

Any ATS members living there?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
This is the Mother Russia from literature.

You said it in a nutshell. I found this independently of ATS, and sat there looking through the pictures and thinking 'this is the world that Tolstoy, Doestoevsky and Chekov saw and described.' It's not quite true, chronologically speaking, of course, but it's close enough.

First class, OP!

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That chapel looks mysteriously spooky, yet cool.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Simply amazing photographs!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The photographer took 3 black-and-white pictures through 3 different filters, then combined those black-and-white pictures (projected through color lenses) to make an "approximate" true color picture.

This is also how old colour movie stock used to be preserved, because colour film degrades much more rapidly than B&W. George Lucas did it to the Star Wars prints, I believe.

I suppose it's all digital now.

That's also the idea behind digital photography.

All digital cameras are essentially color-blind -- i.e., the sensor that picks up the image cannot automatically distinguish one color from another. All digital cameras (yours and the ones NASA is using on Mars) need to first view each image through various filters, which in turn provides various grey-scale images of different intensity for each color. The camera then converts those various grey-scales into what it thinks the color should be and puts it all in one image.

This happens so fast inside your camera that you don't even realize it is happening. However, for NASA, they get the gray-scale images from Mars, then translate the images into color here on Earth. That way they have the individual "separated" grey-scale images, which can give them more information than if they were pre-converted into color before being sent to Earth.

This Russian Photographer did the same thing -- getting color from black-and-white film.

edit on 9/8/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: added last line to clarify

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join