It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Incredible Color Pictures From A Century Ago

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

They don't want to prove Jose Escamilla right with his color photo of the moon.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

I thought Jose Escamilla was a know hoaxer on ATS.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Only if the same technique was used to produce the plates. Without the filters on the original exposures there is no way to recover the color information.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

not that I am aware of.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Well here's a thread you might want to check out.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

LOL That is why he is called a hoax on this site?

People bring me comedy.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Just saying. Some people will attack you for posting a picture or youtube video asking if they think it's real. Now let's not derail this thread. U2U me if you want.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Those are some really beautiful pics! I'd imagine the reason they look so clean is that they probably have been restored in some way. Glass plate negatives are stable (providing they aren't broken) but can still be scratched, even with careful handling. I'd guess that the final projected images, once digitized, were then run thru some photo editing software and cleaned up. In the parlance of film and music, they have been "digitally re-mastered".

As far as the first color photos, there are rather "recent" - there were actually a few daguerrotypes produced in partial color in 1850!

color daguerrotypes

You'd be surprised at what sort of technology existed long ago, but for whatever reason was abandoned or remained only a novelty for whatever reasons. 3-D still images have also been around for quite sometime, and stereo photography was quite popular in Victorian times. Many people think that 3-D images date from recent times, like in the 1950's, like when 3-D movies first came out, but in still images it has existed for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
Beautiful.

...now if only NASA would now do this to their Moon photos...

Yeah no kidding!

All the brilliant scientific minds in NASA couldn't make the apollo moon videos have better quality?

I can't believe the quality and level of detail too and to think they're a hundred years old?

I wonder if you compared these to modern day digital photos what kind equivalent resolution they might have. The one with the small chapel has some amazingly striking detail!

-ChriS

[edit on 23-8-2010 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Only if the same technique was used to produce the plates. Without the filters on the original exposures there is no way to recover the color information.

I was thinking more in terms of digital readjustment of images.

If you analyse an old black and white image, then there's a variety of grey shades in the image.

I was wondering whether the colour information could eventually be found out, or ''guessed'', from the different tones on the b/w image.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
And your proof that these images are 100 yrs old is???

Despite the very obvious evidence, some of us here are not complete idiots.

Small ask - proof, evidence, supporting data.

Or are you just trying to prove a point as to how gullible the ATS community is?
If so, then job done.

somtimes the only true idiot exposes themselves threw lack of looking

now

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82f8d42f109f.jpg[/atsimg]

then

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76ccc1d65e52.jpg[/atsimg]

now

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0a5b7ff0a83e.jpg[/atsimg]

then

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/186f56adcde5.jpg[/atsimg]

hope this helps you to not just call people as idiots.

cause it just isn't nice.

the pictures are great...the enhancing is great..

the information about them being done in three filters on glass plates was very helpful in understanding the process.
some people do seem to have the feeling that they were like this 100 years ago...but please look through the valuble info by clicking the links really helps one to understand.

thanks for the post...and even though they were posted before it does show how topics can be renewed through new postings.

cheers.

[edit on 023131p://f22Tuesday by plube]

[edit on 023131p://f24Tuesday by plube]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Great pictures, thanks for sharing these with us!

It's so cool looking back on such a long time ago with some color - very neat indeed.

I'm sure there is imaging software out there that is able to add color to black & white photos but nothing will ever be as real as... well the real thing (or pretty damn close to it).

I wish there were more of these, the link had a bunch of pictures and I took the time to look at each one and just ponder how much we have grown in 100 years... it's incredible.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Again, from my own ignorance I've always thought of Russia as a bleak place. Probably because of the portrayal of this country in the west during the cold war and onwards, but these hundred year old pictures set me straight. I'm very happy I came across the photographs, they've actually made a huge difference.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

.........you mention WWII photos, b/w.....but did you konw that much of the newsreel footage of battles, etc., during WWII were filmed in COLOR........this blew me away......they were then converted to b&w for the newsreels!!!!! talk about stupid!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Just imagine how different the world would be if photographing was invented 500 years ago, or how about 2000 years ago. A snap shot of Jesus walking on water would have surley had some greater influence...of course some would still argue photo maniplulation

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
OK, hands-up, I was wrong.

The images are real, but it would have helped to provide some supporting links for such an interesting post.

I found the originals using a reverse image search on TinEye.

Appologies to the original poster.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Phage

I was thinking more in terms of digital readjustment of images.

If you analyse an old black and white image, then there's a variety of grey shades in the image.

I was wondering whether the colour information could eventually be found out, or ''guessed'', from the different tones on the b/w image.

You could paint them manually but that would defeat the point somewhat as they would be an artistic interpretation of a black and white photo. You can't extract color information from a black and white photo because you've reduced it to a grey scale range. The information is already lost. For every shade of grey there's many colors that can be interpreted because many colour combinations can result in that same shade of grey.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Nice Catch, Droogie!!
Not just NASA, but modern amateur astronomers, use the R-G-B- method, to maximize resolution. (A B&W digital camera, or B&W film, tend to have better resolution, than color, so using it, and filters, and combining the images, gives more vibrant pictures, than a color camera or film). This is true of the most expensive digital astronomical cameras- $15,000USD.
I had no idea, the Ruskies, were doing that, way back then. Then again, 1910, is not that long ago, anymore. I remember, when it seemd like ancient times!!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Jose Escamilla has been branded as a hoaxer and ATS has allowed this to happen here in a biased way. The rules are that no personal emails are allowed to be posted. I brought this to the attention of the mods on another thread and they still allow these emails to be posted. His out bursts are angry ones at people who have assaulted him on the internet and ATS is allowing these emails to be posted. He was banned from ATS "not for hoaxing" but for defending himself toward those who were attacking him at that time. I read this in a web page on one of his web sites where he addresses these things. He names Springer, whoever he is, as being involved in setting him up to be banned from ATS. He says Springer knew what went down, but instead banned him rather than being honest with ATS members of what occurred. I would like to see him have an equal chance to come back here and debate his haters, who are specifically given the right to attack him, where he can't defend himself. What do you say moderators? Bring him here to answer these haters what they are accusing him of. ATS seems to be an anti Jose Escamilla web site dedicated, as far as I can see, to assassinating his character. Why is that? If anything, Jose Escamilla's return will get huge numbers to join in. ATS will benefit from his return. I know I'll certainly be here for that. Just my thoughts on this.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join