It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien hunters 'should look for artificial intelligence'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Alien hunters 'should look for artificial intelligence'

www.bbc.co.uk

A senior astronomer has said that the hunt for alien life should take into account alien "sentient machines".

Seti, the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, has until now sought radio signals from worlds like Earth.

But Seti astronomer Seth Shostak argues that the time between aliens developing radio technology and artificial intelligence (AI) would be short.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
A rather interesting claim because this has been stated in the UFO field for many decades. Even some suggested the alien bodies recovered at Roswell were machines and not biological entities.

As suggsted on ATS many times in the distant past, some members believe the greys are AI and biological. Many so called "insiders" did leak these claims to us before - like the greys were an AI used by numerous civilizations in the universe.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I'm going to leave the 'Greys' in the closet of imagination where I feel they belong.

I do think that there may be some truth to these scientists musings so regarding looking for AI rather than a biological entity to communicate with.

AI may be less prone to extinction and in theory could be immortal.

Given the size of space and the huge variances in time between one area cooling enough to allow for life to grow and eventually evolve into a space faring race and another being in the same condition I'd say that if nothing else markers between one race and another would exist by way of hello.

Sort of like from the film First Contact.

Still a hope rather than anything concrete but I reckon there's a small amount of chance of something out there somewhere processing all the chatter we've done (If not yet then at some point).

Flagged and starred for cool story bro-ness.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Ok.

The Milky Way Galaxy, alone, spreads 100,000 light years. That means the planets on the other side of the galaxy are, today, seeing what Earth was like 100,000 years ago. That's fact, there's no way around that. Combine this with the fact that, Earth wasn't very interesting and wouldn't attract any attention till about, what? 80 years ago? (See, we only search for signals coming from other places, so I assume that nobody would find our planet of particular interest until they got a signal from our planet)

www.forevergeek.com...

So, basically, unless aliens live within 40 light years (assuming they can travel the speed of light back to us), then there's no way that they can know we exist - unless they seeded us here.

Astronomers should know this information and realize that the odds of aliens living within 40 light years and being developed enough to reach us is kind of ridiculous (keep in mind, our planet is 4,300,000,000 years old, and that aliens would have to be living during this puny little hiccup in that time frame AND meet all aforementioned technological advancements). Besides, if they have the technology to reach us, they probably have the technology to move about us without being detected.

The distances involved in traversing the universe are mind boggling. Light itself travels at 186,300 miles per second in a vacuum, so 100,000 light years... yeah kind of big. I don't know about the whole AI thing, I rank that up there with what people said about flying cars 60 years ago.

You have to keep in mind that the reverse is true when we're trying to find aliens - we'd be getting signals that are probably hundreds, if not thousands or more years old.

[edit on 8/23/10 by Angry Danish]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
SETI seems rather "confident", if thats an accurate, because they've recently told a conference that we are "25 years away" from making contact with an advance civilization.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I had a thought some time ago that AI would be very useful for space exploration. They would be the perfect astronauts, and could be our galactic diplomats/ explorers. So I think the OP is on to something.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Danish
Ok.

The Milky Way Galaxy, alone, spreads 100,000 light years. That means the planets on the other side of the galaxy are, today, seeing what Earth was like 100,000 years ago. That's fact, there's no way around that.
[edit on 8/23/10 by Angry Danish]

there is always a way around things,

theres many things about faster then light...light/radio waves. on ats already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Scientists Make Radio Waves Travel Faster Than Light"

Einstein predicted that particles and information can't travel faster than the speed of light — but phenomenon like radio waves? That's a different story, said Singleton, a Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellow.

"...Because nobody's really thought about things that travel faster than light before, this is a wide-open technological field," Singleton said..."

current.com...

in the comments "0 T_Rose

Well seeing as radio waves are just a certain frequency of light I think a more accurate title for this would be "scientists make light move faster than we thought it could before"

not to mention your acting like you know how much technoligical capability a hypothetical alien race would have.

your saying that you believe without a doubt that no advanced hypothetical inteligence could ever move faster than light?

i dont know how you'd know that.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

im open for suggestion here...but does anyony else think that seti is slow on the draw or even worse full of it?? they never seem to contribute much to the conversation...like left brain and right wing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Danish
Ok.

The Milky Way Galaxy, alone, spreads 100,000 light years. That means the planets on the other side of the galaxy are, today, seeing what Earth was like 100,000 years ago. That's fact, there's no way around that.

i found something i hadnt seen before myself on the same point, that faster then light is no problem... for light.

www.rochester.edu...

"...Boyd recently showed how he can slow down a pulse of light to slower than an airplane, or speed it up faster than its breakneck pace, using exotic techniques and materials. But he's now taken what was once just a mathematical oddity—negative speed—and shown it working in the real world..."

"...In the past few years, scientists have found ways to make light go both faster and slower than its usual speed limit, but now researchers at the University of Rochester have published a paper today in Science on how they've gone one step further: pushing light into reverse. As if to defy common sense, the backward-moving pulse of light travels faster than light.

Confused? You're not alone

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jazabel51

I think it is a fair point.

Many have questioned the use of using radio waves to contact an advance civilization. If they are THAT advanced, surely they've moved away from using old fashion radios and gone on to something more complex?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I think the same..if they travel these huge distances they use more advanced technology..but consider this analogy... you can stream radion via IP in a smartphone 3g net or different technologies..but yet a lot of them have the possibility to catch radion waves the old way...so I guess a bigger problem are the huge distance.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
we have fiber optic networks all around the world we should make a broad spectrum analyses of the incoming light by guide the incoming light / signals through a optical ship and see if there is a stellar network in binary code or code like quantum state bits and bytes .

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Angry Danish

I think "they" know we are here. They seem to be able to reach us, but we don't reach them. They could be using some form of quantum energy or effect. In a quantum universe time and distances could be very different.

We need to move away from Einstein based physics. Perhaps our minds are not complex enough. Our computers could possibly do it for us. Some speculation.

For us to reach them as biological organisms at least in form may be possible.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
SETI is just a cover operation to waste our money and time

any real person in the science area knows that SETI is more useless than to study UFO statements

the real study would be to study all the spacecrafts in OUR sky ... above our heads ... you may find something good

I really wont explain why SETI is a waste of _insert_here_ , just search it on google, and you will probably find quickly

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I'm a strong supporter of the zoo theory. "They" watch us and monitor us, like we do with animals in our zoo's. And, truth of the matter, we probably pose no significance or current interest to them.

If we start establishing colonies on the Moon (Obama philistine attitude killed that idea) or Mars, then "they" might take more interest in us.

new topics

top topics

join