It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible huge misunderstandings ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
As the bible was written so long ago. By people who mostly had no clue about the universe or laws of physics. Isn't it possible that they have misunderstood half the stuff.

If they were told by angel how long it took God to create earth in terms of solar movements they might have just written it down according to their own, then best, knowledge that sun moves around earth. This alone creates a large magnitude of error (days vs years). If it was about sun going around the center of the galaxy, there would be even larger magnitude of error (days vs thousands of years).

I'm sure that the bible is full of similar situations where the original meaning has completely been lost because people have been 'too smart' when writing the old stuff down.

Anyone found any similar possible situations in the bible with even larger implications ? I'm sure it's full of them, I'm just too lazy to read beyond the first pages

The conspiracy part hits in when you start thinking why hasn't there been more speculation on this. Are there so hideous possible misunderstandings that anyone who brings the possibilities up have disappeared.

[edit on 20-6-2004 by vibetic]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by vibetic
I'm sure it's full of them, I'm just too lazy to read beyond the first pages

The conspiracy part hits in when you start thinking why hasn't there been more speculation on this. Are there so hideous possible misunderstandings that anyone who brings the possibilities up have disappeared.

[edit on 20-6-2004 by vibetic]

You say you're sure it's full of them yet you admit you're too lazy to do the research. At ATS members are expected to research and support their own theories and seek comments on their arguments. Do the research and bring it back. Then you'll know what other think.

As far as your conspiracy aspect, well since you haven't offered any proofs, it's a mute "argument" or just pure speculation. Do you have anything to support your idea of people disappearing for questioning the, as of yet undefined, errors you claim the Bible contains.

Are you aware that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. As such, it cannot be in error.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Are you aware that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. As such, it cannot be in error.

But as anything that men puts his mind to it is born to error, (human error) so if you can prove that God himself wrote the bible in is own hand them you may have a point as the validity and integrity of the bible.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
But the truth is, the Bible is the inspired Word of God. With respect to doing the research, that's expected.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
But reading the Bible to someone who really isn't that interested in it can be a hard task. Almost like telling me to read the bible. I've never once even opened a bible I don't think. I have no desire too especially since it's written in old English. Thy, Thee, blah blah. that's basicly all I hear.

Also How could he find proof?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
To CommonSense:

This wasn't a research report. More like opening a dialogue.

I didn't literally mean I'm too lazy to read beyond the first page. But I believe there are people who have studied the bible to the point where they have practically memorized it. And I was hoping someone would come up with some pointers where to look more closely or tell a warning story of how he wasted 70 years of his life looking for the same things and never found anything. Or that someone found something, wrote about it to the pope and just got a letter "have a nice day too." No conspiracy here.

There are plenty of web pages about clear factual errors and contradictions,
But surely there must have been attempts of 'reverse-engineering' bible and then writing it again with modern knowledge of astronomy, geography and such especially knowing that world is not flat and that earth rotates sun (facts which could have significant impact on timescale especially). If there has been such projects, what happened to them ? Why are there no web pages dedicated to such. Would the bible become too logical that it would have to be written again and what would people think about such sudden change.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
vibetic
All I was doing was pointing out to you, a new member, what other ATS members expect when someone proposes an idea. It's part of a reputation you develop on ATS. Do you want to be known for starting speculative, unsupported threads that most people would view as a grab for point? Or would you rather be known for thoughtful, provocative ideas? As I reread your first post, I find nothing that supports your ideas - it's mere speculation. As far as lazy, those are your words my friend, not mine. It does point out however that your knowledge of the Bible is limited. With that in mind, it makes me wonder even more about your post.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To CommonSense

I hoped the post would attract interest on the subject itself. As I'm not officially christian myself I have not been properly trained on the contents of bible. But I'm interested of it however. As I read my first post again and again, I can see that it does appear somewhat abstract and speculative and short on details.

I wasn't thinking so much of my reputation than the question itself. This probably made my post even worse. I wouldn't have posted such a question in a scientific paper. But I had a much more casual image of these discussions.

Perhaps these theories have always died when people have been dissed for their sloppy approach and speculativeness. Which could probably count as the most boring conspiracy ever

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Here's a few comparisons between the Bible and Science during the same time period.

The Bible said earth is a sphere. Science said the earth was flat.

Isaiah 40

22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

The Bible said Incalcuable number of stars. Science said only 1,100 stars

Jeremiah 33
22 I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore.' "

The Bible- Free float of earth in space. Science earth sat on a large animal

Job 26
7 He spreads out the northern skies over empty space;
he suspends the earth over nothing.

The Bible-creation is made of invisible elements. Science was ignorant on the subject.

Hebrews 11
3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

The Bible-each star is different. Science all stars are the same.

1 Corinthians 15
41The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor.

The Bible-when dealing with disease, hands should be washed under running water. Science-hands washed in still water.

Leviticus 17
11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Leviticus 15
13 And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I dont think the Bible was written as literal and historical, but symbolic. The truths postulated in the Bible are not quite universal, and if God wrote this book, he must have been a very well read God. Summieran, Giglamesh, Roman/Greek mythos, Mythraism, Egyptian tales and other pagan beliefes all served an influence on the writers of the Bible.

There are plenty of threads that cover the " historical " figure of Jesus, and the credibility of the Bible as the absolute word of God.

Deep

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

As far as your conspiracy aspect, well since you haven't offered any proofs, it's a mute "argument" or just pure speculation. Do you have anything to support your idea of people disappearing for questioning the, as of yet undefined, errors you claim the Bible contains.

Are you aware that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. As such, it cannot be in error

Where is your proof that the Bible is the inspired word of God ?

Deep

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
For the fundies=The bible in its present form is not the inspired word of god. God does not contradict himself; contradictions are not representative of reality. Either someone messed with it and introduced the contradictions into the text or it wasn't the work of god to start with.
Vibetic your thoughts have revealed a primary characteristic of religion. Religion is a closed book. Each religion proclaims to have a COMPLETE revelation from god. Therefore they insist nothing needs to be added or removed from it as you are suggesting. Whereas science is always seeking out more knowledge and adding data. Science presents itself as INCOMPLETE.
My personal advice is that you should read the bible. You don't have to come to its pages blindly accepting that its sacred, come seeking to learn.
There is something in there for everybody even if they don't BELIEVE. Its filled with history and culture.
Take care

new topics

top topics

join