It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90% of “our DNA” is microbial, not human

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Hints that some mental illness may be linked to infectious agents and/or autoimmune processes date back to at least the early 20th Century. In the 21st Century, the field of microbiomics, which is mapping the microbial environment of the human organism, may transform the way we think about human physical and mental development.1 It is already clear that 90% of “our DNA” is microbial, not human. “We” are, in fact, “super-organisms” made up of thousands of species, many of which are being identified for the first time. And there are persistent individual differences in our microbial ecology established early in life.

it seams only a theory atm but interesting none the less

link
www.nimh.nih.gov...

xploder

ps thanks to the poster below for the link

[edit on 22-8-2010 by XPLodER]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
And here's the original article in case anyone wants to put it in the proper context.

The 90% thing isn't referring to our actual DNA which can account for our whereabouts or genetic heritage but about microbes and infectious agents which our body carries in it and their DNA.

The article tries to link some mental illnesses such as Tourette syndrome to a strep infection or other infectious and autoimmune diseases.

So our DNA is still 100% our DNA it's just that we carry a lot of things which aren't us in us and these things may have an affect on how we operate.

I hope that clears up the subject for anyone else who thought 'what the heck' when reading this thread title.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Christians will be glad to hear this:
Not only might we be decended from monkies but
being created in God's image means
God looks like a microbe not a black robe!

FandS for debates sake

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Ah, yes, Thanks.

The article explains quite a bit more, about the microbial aspect of microbes in the body.

It makes sense if they are out of balance, that it could be a cause of mental illness, and other diseases.

For instance, my husband has Multiple Sclerosis, and also suffers from constant candida (yeast) infections, which I believe caused his MS to begin with. He has it in his fingernails, and also on his feet. He also suffers from depression.

It could be interesting to see where this all leads.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

thanks for the interpretation
i thought it was saying the junk DNA in our DNA was from microbial dna lol thanks bud

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Funnily enough I have some experience with MS sufferers too.

One particular person I knew also had multiple yeast infections which took them to hospital often. They too were depressed. In this particular case though I would have to say that alcohol was a huge mitigating factor to their overall health - vodka in particular and lots of it.

Whilst there may be a correlation between infections and their overall effects on our bodies MS is a hard one to pin down due to the various ways it presents itself. Environmental factors should not be overlooked as the West coast of Scotland has an enormous number of MS suffers as well as an enormous number of alcoholics.

For the record I'm not linking alcoholism with MS, I'm just stating that from my experience the 2 sometimes go hand in hand.

Another case which I'm privy to involved someone being allergic to mercury fillings in their teeth. The fillings poisoned their blood and really took its toal on their health. Once the fillings were identified as a problem they were removed which brought a new lease of life to the person where they had much more energy and a happier outlook. This person was a tee totaler.

Good luck with your investigations into the yeast thing - I hope it fair well for you and your husband.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply. My husband is not a drinker, but has an enourmous sweet tooth, and loves bread. He is a carbaholic, which of course turns into sugar.

I have read an article while in a bookstore that linked yeast infections to the lesions on the brain.

I find it interesting that you mention the high incidence of MS in Scotland. Both his maternal and paternal great grandparents came from Scotland. Perhaps the disease is in his genetics then!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
LOL

Did this go through peer review like it is supposed to? I am just using the usual skeptic jargon for this.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Here is an article from the BBC regarding a program they put out 2 years ago relating to MS and Scotland.

MS does do many things to the body like bed sores, temporary paralysis, vertigo and sometimes urinary tract infections due to poor mobility so it could be that the yeast infections are something that come with the territory rather than create it in the first place. Of course you might be right with the yeast thing being the cause and not a symptom- sadly I don't know either way.

It could be 'Scottish' genes as the BBC documentary ponders.

Sadly with so many different ways of diagnosing it, all the variations in how it presents and of course which 'type' of MS do you get from the typical 3, and why, are all unknown by scientists at the moment. It's a complicated issue and one that you will be dealing with with much patience and toleration I'm sure.

My thoughts are with you and your husband and I hope that you make some headway with your research into the potentials of yeast being involved.

Good luck!

-m0r

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Once again, thanks for the reply, and your well wishes. As we speak, my husband has a urinary tract infection! He also has a horrid time with kidney stones. Just last week, he had to have his appendix out!

I haven't looked yet, but I am sure I will find the article of great interest. My husband is sleeping right now, so, I am going to read it to him in the morning when he gets up.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I believe this man may have something relevant to say:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Masinger]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

all sorts of food additives these days will kill off intestinal flawna
eating asodophilas bifidius and other live microbial agents can restore the balence in the gut

these little guys eat the food we eat down to a much smaller size allowing them to pass through the stomach linning alot more
this improves uptake of nutriants

another note highly refined or highly milled flour can be small enough when digested to pass the gut linning and pass directly into the blood stream. once there they act like an opiod and can drastically change body/blood chemistry so be aware of flours as they can promote some bad health

legal disclaimer

not intended as medical advice seek medical advice for health issiues this is intended for educational and debate only

xploder

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

all sorts of food additives these days will kill off intestinal flawna
eating asodophilas bifidius and other live microbial agents can restore the balence in the gut

these little guys eat the food we eat down to a much smaller size allowing them to pass through the stomach linning alot more
this improves uptake of nutriants

another note highly refined or highly milled flour can be small enough when digested to pass the gut linning and pass directly into the blood stream. once there they act like an opiod and can drastically change body/blood chemistry so be aware of flours as they can promote some bad health

legal disclaimer

not intended as medical advice seek medical advice for health issiues this is intended for educational and debate only

xploder

Sounds like what I have heard about eating raw egg whites. The protein passes through the gut not completely digested, and into the blood stream, increasing the likelihood of hay fever and other allergic reactions. Basically, the body is fighting the influx of foreign proteins, like a virus.

[edit on 8/23/2010 by Jim Scott]

new topics

top topics

join