It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share your stories, videos or pictures of the brave!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just found this picture in my archives, I am a veteran of the Corp, not as lean but still as mean always a Marine. Anyways I thought it would be a good idea to share this picture, while asking others to share either stories or pictures of bravery, valor and the great sacrifices our service people have done for us all.

This image is of a Pearl Harbor survivor embracing a Marine who lost a leg, hand, and eye when he was defusing a bomb in Iraq

America Home of the Brave
above all others
who must suffer and bear
the deepest wounds
and scars of war.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
despite the stigma attached to this one.
It is still one of my favs

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Your picture speaks volumes! While I have never served, I still honor and admire those who put themselves in harms way for our freedom and protection.
Thank you for your service and a reminder to honor those affected in war.
I ran across these picture that hit me immediately...
I know one is honoring dogs but I think they should be included in this tribute as well.

Man, after scanning thru countless pics honoring our service people, I am left with watery eyes. You thread struck an emotional chord of neglected gratitude within me. Thank you for the reminder to never forget.....

spec

[edit on 23-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Would you guys find it insulting if I added some Canadian content? There's an excellent video by The trews that is all about service to ones country and all that is asked is if they die they are honored on the Highway of Heroes. I dare you to watch it with a dry eye.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmosGraber

America Home of the Brave
above all others
who must suffer and bear
the deepest wounds
and scars of war.

Surely the warrior by now realises that praying doesn't bring about peace in any sense of the word and if he/she was really, truthfully and honestly committed to peace they would refuse to fight.

I'm sorry, but I don't give respect out just as a matter of course, because some people CHOSE to put themselves in harm's way (not for us, but for big business) and think that we really need to break out of the paradigm of warfare, the military and resorting to violence.

Sure, this has flaws and I'm sure some people will say" but what about if they didn't do it you'd be speaking Japanese" etc and to them I say "konichiwa".

I'm done with glorifying, idolising, respecting, praising the military and the people who choose to sign up. Stop it. Stop it all. Enough with the killing, maiming, bloodshed. Purge it from your system and start investigating other methods which are inclusive and constructive rather than discriminatory and destructive.

So, here's one of my 'heroes':

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Would you guys find it insulting if I added some Canadian content? There's an excellent video by The trews that is all about service to ones country and all that is asked is if they die they are honored on the Highway of Heroes. I dare you to watch it with a dry eye.

I think that would be great Canadians have a rich valient tradition in miltary service.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Not to take away from this thread by any means, however something caught my eye...

a dog named Nig?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
I'm sorry, but I don't give respect out just as a matter of course, because some people CHOSE to put themselves in harm's way (not for us, but for big business) and think that we really need to break out of the paradigm of warfare, the military and resorting to violence.

Sure, this has flaws and I'm sure some people will say" but what about if they didn't do it you'd be speaking Japanese" etc and to them I say "konichiwa".

I'm done with glorifying, idolising, respecting, praising the military and the people who choose to sign up.

DDDDDUUUUUUDDDDDE! Listen real carefully, I love Lennon, I am now an historian, I not only love all the Beatles song, but I have read many of Lennon’s biographies, and let me tell you something, John Lennon would of never just said what you said. Ever wonder why he was photographed many times wearing military issue clothing, he loved and respected those who served; he hated the powers that be which lead them to fight in wars for the rich. Sartre, once said, “When the rich wage war it’s the poor who die.” Those who enlist to defend their country are not the ones responsible for unjust wars Tolstoy puts it best when he said, “In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people.” However, “War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. “
--John Stuart Mill

Lennon appeared on many talk shows, and whenever asked if he respected those who served he always answered in the affirmative. In addition, as I aforementioned if you have read any of his biographies you would of known he honored their service by wearing military pieces of clothing all the time, so peace out, if you want to start a thread raging against the inhumanity of war, start one, you’ll probably find me in agreement, for that matter I may start one, regardless here is an example of John showing respect for those who serve to protect freedom:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Ya, no kidding, I saw that, hopefully it was short for Nightmare...I also noticed one called Poncho....

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Those are great pictures, I love homecoming pictures. My wife and I did a Google search the other day of miltary surprsie homecomings here is a link to a mix of some of what Im talking abouut I think you'll like it:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-8-2010 by AmosGraber]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

SEMPER FI! OOOO-Rah....That's definetly a classic!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

I get that about Lennon. He was a product of his time and place; as indeed we all are, hence 'heroes' with a lower case "H".

Yes, our history, traditions and seemingly important parts of our cultures are taken up with things military and yet there has always been conscientious objection and I wish to carry on this tradition.

Isn't it odd that one man's 'hero' is another's 'enemy'?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AmosGraber

Thank you my friend:

That covers ALL that do their duty.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That was cool and I really enjoyed it.

Thank you Intrepid

spec

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
rolling thunder

our mission

The major function of Rolling Thunder®, Inc. is to publicize POW-MIA issues: To educate the public that many American prisoners of war were left behind after all previous wars and to help correct the past and to protect future veterans from being left behind should they become prisoners of war-missing in action. We are also committed to helping American veterans from all wars. Rolling Thunder®, Inc. is a non-profit organization. Members donate their time because they believe in the issues we are working on.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Great post
I think this will fit in perfect here.

In case you haven't seen it and have always wondered how to say Thank you in small but humble way, here is a little tip how. I know being a mother a daughter about to be deployed , I practice this every chance I get.

I hope you not only enjoy it, but remember it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here is a great story of an example of how just one person can turn the tide in battle:

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the Second Battalion, Seventh Marines, First Marine Division, in combat against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands area on October 26, 1942. When the enemy broke through the line directly in front of his position, Platoon Sergeant Paige, commanding a machine-gun section with fearless determination, continued to direct fire of his gunners until all of his men were either killed or wounded.

Alone, against the deadly hail of Japanese shells, he manned his gun, and when it was destroyed, took over another, moving from gun to gun, never ceasing his withering fire against the advancing hordes until reinforcements finally arrived. Then, forming a new line, he dauntlessly and aggressively led a bayonet charge, driving the enemy back and preventing a breakthrough in our lines. His great personal valor and unyielding devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

www.pbs.org...

And below is a picture that about just tore me up:

new topics

top topics

join