It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the US hit water facilities on purpose?

page: 1

join
share:
dom

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I've found a few websites now linking to a "declassified" document talking about why it was a good idea to bomb Iraq's water treatment facilities in the Gulf War..

www.gulflink.osd.mil...

Any idea about how likely it is to be a hoax? Can anyone start a .mil website or does .mil guarantee that the website is run by the US government.

If this site is correct it includes quotes such as...

"WITH NO DOMESTIC SOURCES OF BOTH WATER TREATMENT REPLACEMENT PARTS AND SOME ESSENTIAL CHEMICALS, IRAO WILL CONTINUE ATTEMPTS TO CIRCUMVENT UNITED NATIONS SANCTIONS TO
IMPORT THESE VITAL COMMODITIES."

and ...

"IRAQ'S RIVERS ALSO CONTAIN BIOLOGICAL MATERIALS,POLLUTANTS, AND ARE LADEN WITH BACTERIA. UNLESS THE WATER IS PURIFIED WITH CHLORINE EPIDEMICS OF SUCH DISEASES AS CHOLERA,HEPATITIS, AND TYPHOID COULD OCCUR.)
"

It seems to imply that the US military deliberately targeted war supplies, knowing that civilian casualties would follow, in an attempt to make Iraq breach UN sanctions... does this give anyone else a bad taste in their mouth? Surely this can't be true?

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 02:28 PM
link   
being debated before...tried to quickly find the thread...but couldn't. I wasn't sure if it was in Chit Chat, or War on Terrorism... I'll keep looking, but also at work, so might take a bit...

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

Of course, upon re-reading, looks like it turned more into a pi$$ing contest... Maybe the original poster has some more info for you, but I stand by my view...and I'll add, that if this was the case, I'm sure Saddam would've been allowed to maintain these facilities (as long as it was under UN supervision, to determine the chemicals, etc. were going to the intended uses)...

[Edited on 14-3-2003 by Gazrok]

new topics

join