It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP warns of Northern Irish dissident threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

MP warns of Northern Irish dissident threat

uk.reuters.com

(Reuters) - A British MP said on Sunday he believed nationalist militants in Northern Ireland hoped to stage attacks on the British mainland, possibly against high-profile conferences of political parties.

Patrick Mercer, a former army officer who served in Northern Ireland and now a Conservative MP known for his expertise on security issues, raised the alarm about the threat from splinter groups seeking to end British control of Northern Ireland.

"I have no doubt there is an aspiration, a hope, a desire to bomb the mainland (Britain) and probably the Tory (Conservative) or indeed any o
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Here we go again, Bombings in Northern Ireland.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Only a matter of time I suppose.

I believe that dissident republicans not only aspire to attack the mainland UK, they are actively planning it. As for attacks on 'legitimate' political targets? I believe this is a bit of a stretch for the imagination. Try planting a bomb anywhere in England, that will injure or kill people and you will be much closer to the mark.

This is not the Provisional I.R.A one of the most organised terrorists groups that has ever existed. This is an entirely different class of murderers. These are splinter groups who do not consider the killing of civilians as tragic accidents or unfortunate collateral, they classify such occurrences as successful operations.

I believe that dissident republicans groups constitute the greatest terrorist threat to the UK, more so than that of Islamic extremists.

The question is how are these groups being able to operate so freely in the UK? For example planting a bomb right outside the MI5 headquarters in Belfast. Intelligence on these groups is incredibly sparse, and prosecution of active members even more so.

The trouble is increasingly, disaffected youths are being indoctrinated into these groups from Nationalist areas. Young men with no direction in life, and a head full of stories from the 'Glory Days.'

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think its hard to get information on these groups because they are very tight knit groups, i hope that trouble does not rising again from the past but i feel it will never go away, looks like with the economy getting worse i feel that it just fuels their aims.

I knew things would kick off in the UK again it was always a matter of time.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Their psychops is like pass the parcel!! I think they've got a rotating schedule of which one of them releases terrorist alerts next, in between their scheduled HAARP weather/environment war activities that is.

They can't bring down the internet yet, lol, because none of them would know which disaster they were supposed to announce next.

The would be lost, just like Obama is without his teleprompter!

IF there are terrorist attacks planned for UK, I would be willing to bet a NORAID equivalent has been resurrected to fund the dissidents - or perhaps MI5/6, or HMQ have obliged this time.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

There are only a few areas in northern Ireland where these groups can count on support, and after injuring 3 children recently in a bombing that has decreased dramatically.

You are right about these being tight knit groups, they are essentially small cells spread out across the country, who operate independently and without a central leadership.

Aside from this there is also the possibility of lone wolf extremists, carrying out attacks and then claiming allegiance post operation.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It doesnt take much for support to be gained and lost however when things go wrong they need some one to balme who bettter to blame than us dam English.

Only time will tell to see how much support and effectivenes comes from rough times.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

........a matter of time and US funding via NORAID?

Actually, I've just had a very conspiratorial thought, lol! Obadma seems to really have it in for the UK. Maybe he has 'allowed' US funding for IRA terrorist arms to start flowing again.....just a thought.....and yes, call me a conspiracy nut!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ireland has a right to get parts of its island back from the British, the british don't own that place, they conquered it.

So i believe ever nation has a right self desfense or take back from there conquers,

anyone agree?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Maybe it will be Israelis who do the deed - they can be pretty white sometimes and they use Irish passports to commit terrorist acts.

new topics

top topics

join