It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Quake Is Overdue for Southern California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

(Aug. 21) -- New research shows that major earthquakes have struck southern California far more frequently than previously thought -- and the next one could be just around the corner. The study from geologists at the University of California Irvine and Arizona State University showed that massive quakes -- of magnitude 6.5 or greater -- have hit the region's San Andreas fault line at intervals of between 45 and 144 years. With the last major earthquake in 1857, that means Southern California is overdue a massive quake.

Source

Lets hope that these people are wrong. We havent seen a massive earthquake of epic proportions in the United States in quite a while. That article above however is a bit foreboding and we could be in the calm before the storm at the moment.

Thoughts?

[edit on 22-8-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There's a couple of other threads about this already and one of them has somehow been diverted into a religious angle so I'll post here too. I remember hearing in grade school over 20 years ago about the overdue big one. The more we find out the worse the forecast seems to become. As noted here, I find it interesting how few strong earthquakes California has in comparison to the rest of the Ring of Fire.

Existing threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I dont know if some people read the article on Yahoo news on Aug. 20.2010

Earthquakes strike along California's San Andreas Fault more often than scientists previously thought, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the University of California, Irvine and Arizona State charted temblors that occurred there stretching back 700 years.

They found that large ruptures have occurred on the Carrizo Plain portion of the San Andreas Fault - about 100 miles (160 kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles - as often as every 45 to 144 years. But the last big quake was in 1857, more than 150 years ago.

news.yahoo.com...

I dont live in California but I keep a close look to the seismic activity.

Peace

join