It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont know who

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by 12voltz

When will people get down from the clouds?...

Please do tell me, and show me where in the world people do this...

Please do show us where we can move to live in a place where people don't have to do much work to be able to live a full life...

Seriously.. WHERE can I move where they will give me FREE a parcel of land, i would be more than content with 40 acres of FREE land...

Show me where I can go and get FREE all the materials I will need to build my house in this new place, and to have people with knowledge help me build the house for free...

Show me where I can go and have FREE electricity all year around. At the very least I will need light, and to live in a place where it NEVER gets too hot or too cold, otherwise my family and myself will NEED AC and a heater...

Please show me a place where all my waste, and I am not talking about plastic bottles but the waste that comes from my rear end and front end, will be sent through the FREE plumbing to a place where it will be processed for FREE...

Please show me a place where i can get a few drinks for FREE, and where i can stay for FREE with a few friends and enjoy the evening...

Please show me a place where all my nutritional needs, and those of my family, are met by only eating fish...

I don't believe in living beyond my means. I also don't believe in expending lots of money to live my life, but I do know that somehow people need to work for several hours a day to make a living, unless they are truly disabled.

Unless you show me such a place I have to say this is nothing more than the lunatic ramblings of someone who doesn't know what it takes to live ANYWHERE in this world...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

Hey, nobody said anything about "free"...nothing is free. I recently moved to a place where this is absolutely possible. The thing is, this is where my family has been for over 100 years, so I have a bit of a foundation. We fish for trout, salmon, halibut, and dungeness crab. We hunt deer and elk (sometimes bear and cougar, but not to eat). We grow corn, peas, beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, and more in our garden in a very temperate climate (zone 7, between 40-70 degrees year round) and can or freeze what we need for the entire year. We get our water from natural springs that flow all year (groundswell). We make our own beer and wine (plum and raspberry wine are my favorite). I spend every evening in the company of my family, and feel very fortunate that I can.

All that being said, I understand that not very many people have this kind of opportunity to be nearly self sufficient. We still pay for tv/phone/internet...and electricity, obviously...but if/when the end of civilization as we know it happens...I think I'll be ready. I'm already...ready...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for posting!!!! It put a smile on my face! I really believe the most important thing in life is to enjoy it! We are so lucky to be alive and while its good to have the finer things in life all that stuff doesn't matter if your not happy!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by scrtsxcgirl

The finer things in life come to those who are happy. -f0n3nyc-

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Great story! I have a few like that. They all have the same sort of simple, humble guy confronted with Babylon's ethic.
I asked a fisherman in a small village near Vera Cruz if he liked eating the red snapper he would catch. He had never tried it. The gringos paid such a good price for it that he would always sell it.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TolanIsMaximus

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by 12voltz

When will people get down from the clouds?...

Please do tell me, and show me where in the world people do this...

Please do show us where we can move to live in a place where people don't have to do much work to be able to live a full life...

Seriously.. WHERE can I move where they will give me FREE a parcel of land, i would be more than content with 40 acres of FREE land...

Show me where I can go and get FREE all the materials I will need to build my house in this new place, and to have people with knowledge help me build the house for free...

Show me where I can go and have FREE electricity all year around. At the very least I will need light, and to live in a place where it NEVER gets too hot or too cold, otherwise my family and myself will NEED AC and a heater...

Please show me a place where all my waste, and I am not talking about plastic bottles but the waste that comes from my rear end and front end, will be sent through the FREE plumbing to a place where it will be processed for FREE...

Please show me a place where i can get a few drinks for FREE, and where i can stay for FREE with a few friends and enjoy the evening...

Please show me a place where all my nutritional needs, and those of my family, are met by only eating fish...

I don't believe in living beyond my means. I also don't believe in expending lots of money to live my life, but I do know that somehow people need to work for several hours a day to make a living, unless they are truly disabled.

Unless you show me such a place I have to say this is nothing more than the lunatic ramblings of someone who doesn't know what it takes to live ANYWHERE in this world...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

Hey, nobody said anything about "free"...nothing is free. I recently moved to a place where this is absolutely possible. The thing is, this is where my family has been for over 100 years, so I have a bit of a foundation. We fish for trout, salmon, halibut, and dungeness crab. We hunt deer and elk (sometimes bear and cougar, but not to eat). We grow corn, peas, beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, and more in our garden in a very temperate climate (zone 7, between 40-70 degrees year round) and can or freeze what we need for the entire year. We get our water from natural springs that flow all year (groundswell). We make our own beer and wine (plum and raspberry wine are my favorite). I spend every evening in the company of my family, and feel very fortunate that I can.

All that being said, I understand that not very many people have this kind of opportunity to be nearly self sufficient. We still pay for tv/phone/internet...and electricity, obviously...but if/when the end of civilization as we know it happens...I think I'll be ready. I'm already...ready...

If all you want is food, shelter and a family, then you can be the fisherman. We are spoiled, with our fancy computers. The happiest people I ever met were the fishermen on the East coast of Mexico. The jungle and the sea provided all they needed.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I love this post so much. I had heard it a long time ago. It remind me to Be HERE NOW in THIS moment. Most of us live somewhere in the past or the future instead of in the moment we have right now, which is all we really have. It reminds me to cultivate as much happiness and love as possible. to learn as much and continue the chain of wisdom each and every day.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is an awesome story, true happiness is simple!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
this is the most beautiful thing ive read on this site. im going to email this to my family and friends. its funny how many of us dont know that we already reached that point in life.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I heard this story once in Spanish class in high school. It is definitely one of my favorites! I am so glad to see it posted on here.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

If you lived in that place, you would already be on the land, know how to build the house, know how to raise/grow/catch your food, etc.

Just because it's a pipe dream for your average US or European citizen does not mean people in other parts of the world are unable to live this way.

The reason for third world suffering and the destruction of this type of lifestyle is always directly or indirectly related to the first world life style we lead - whether it be externalizing costs (including ecological costs), price fixing, or regime change.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I don't know which dictatorship you are talking about...

Before our corporations went into many places and backed oppressive regimes, they were propped up by colonial powers that exerted the same sort of influence. And of course who are the colonial powers except the original power narrative that predates the contemporary capitalist corporatist paradigm.

South American Tribes >>>>> Spanish/Portuguese Crown / Catholic Church >>>>>> Colonial power structure in place / Independence / Segregated Social Hierarchy >>>>>>> US military backing >>>>> Corporate Control (United Fruit, Coca Cola, Ford, etc. (Proxy for US control, or vice versa)

Two wrongs don't make a right...I think the Iraqis would agree to that sentiment, no?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
sounds good in theory but I would rather get rich and retire early in luxury then spend the rest of my life catching fish in a small village, sounds kinda boring if you ask me

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Even Buddha, after sitting under a tree for 17 years, proclaimed as the first of the four noble truths, that "life is sorrowful."

You're right to say "get over it", whatever we must do is what we must do, and the Bhagavad Gita (and Ghandi) are also right to say that in our actions, we can still renounce, and enjoy life, the work of our labors applied without concern for the reward, being even minded, whether in action or, inaction (or leisure), in suffering, or in joy, unmoved, the knower who simply is. So I say we can be in that village wherever we are, unconcerned with the illusion of maya, at peace, centered, equanimous and poised, even in the midst of the worst chaos, or sorrow and suffering. Now THAT is LIFE imo, it's got responsibility built in it, yet frees the soul as if kicking back after a nice time fishing out on sparkling waters.

edit on 27-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (in no reason given is every reason to give)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well I suppose that somewhere in this thread someone has pointed out the simularities to Hesse's "Siddhartha"
A fine book by all accounts.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Research the history of Mexico.

There was a long time between Spanish colonial rule and the rise of U.S. corporations. You will find the same story repeated throughout most of Latin America. Before the Spanish arrived, there was the Aztecs. You might want to look into their history. Look up some information on the Caribbeans, and their life style.

The history of humanity is one of invasion, and everyone's ancestors have contributed.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Food on the table, a decent place to stay, and as less stress as possible, thats all I need.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm bumping this because it's such a damn good story!!

Lots of new members deserve to read this as well....

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I remember reading this story once before. Thank you for posting it so I could read it once more.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

I love this everytime it is posted.
I never get tired of reading this.
I would get this tatooed on my forhead if it would fit.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
reply to post by 12voltz

I love this everytime it is posted.
I never get tired of reading this.
I would get this tatooed on my forhead if it would fit.

If you cut out the 'who" it might just fit,although you may get some strange looks

<< 2  3  4   >>

join