It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Govt assumes control over Great Lakes, by executive order.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Federal Govt assumes control over Great Lakes, by executive order.

www.datelinezero.com

Currently, the Great Lakes is “the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth.” The Great Lakes represent 20% of the world’s surface fresh water. That could change pretty quickly, with the Great Lakes being in the hands of the Federal State.

Yes, the interests of the Great Lakes is now the responsibility of an unelected Washington bureaucracy. It happened, quietly, through an executive order in July. And until recently, it was kept from the media. (Transparency was only an election year thing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.whitehouse.gov

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I live here in Michigan, and over the past few years there had been proposals to pipe some of the water from the Great Lakes down to some of the dryer states. The suggestion being "there's plenty for everyone."

Of course, once it's gone -- having been sent down that far -- it wouldn't return.

But would Washington do something like that now that they can? If they have final say, and someone needs the votes, I can see them doing something that would end up draining the water after a number of years.

Anyway, I added a link to the White House post about the executive order. It's only a single vague paragraph, and a pdf download for anyone who wants to read it.

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I really hope they did their research before going through with this. Nature is a very fragile thing and who knows how much damage could be done to the lakes from draining. They may end up drying up =/ but hey im not much into politics so how should I know how all this works

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is dumb.

If there's not enough fresh water for states, the people need to relocate.

Problem solved.

Sadly, people are very foolish, and will not move until they must.

First, they will demand the state and federal government do something..

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have always been under the impression that you don't even want to eat the fish from the Great Lakes any more because the pollutants are so high.

I am sure they must be talking about Lake Michigan.

As I see it, the New Madrid will likely drain it all out anyways once it snaps; didn't Edgar Casey predict that one?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Actually the govt is the one putting a stop to the selling of fresh water from the Great Lakes, it's private business that keeps trying to pull that one. Most regions around the GL are demanding the govt intervene to stop invasive species from moving into the lakes as well, such as the Asian carp and zebra mussels. I mean Lake Erie has to be among the more polluted bodies of water around, it has "dead zones" where life can no longer survive, and I'm sure everyone remembers the Cuyahoga river catching fire in '69. So the question is, how can the govt intervene to clean this up, or should it do nothing and let private business continue to pollute?

IDK if this more of a "clean air act" for the seas, or should we buy into Alex Jones drama of the UN taking order the USA (Inforwars: National Ocean Council)

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Umm... the Great Lakes are shared by Canada and the US. Did Barack Obama forget about this?

Boundary Waters Treaty.

bwt.ijc.org...

"The treaty provides principles for Canada and the United States to follow in using the waters they share. For example, both countries must agree to any project that would change the natural levels or flows of boundary waters."

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, now the Gov is in charge of the lakes, chemicals will soon pour into these waters too.

The poisoners will be only too happy to oblige once again.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Wonder if they took into consideration that Canada owns part of the great lakes as well, if they start "piping" the water from the great lakes down to the drier states, I hope they realize that they will be pissing off plenty of Canadians that share the great lakes with America. We are a pretty docile country until you start messing with our natural resources.

The water levels in Lake Ontario have been gradually declining for the last 5 years (very noticeable here in Kingston, ON) and if they were to start sending it elsewhere I can guarantee a lot of not so happy people.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is why Canada needs a nuclear deterrent force.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is certainly bad news because most policies put forth by government, actually work against the interests of the people. It is not the people who control government, it is their corporate and possibly "invisible" puppet masters and their interests usually conflict with our own. If this is in fact the truth, do we really think that government is going to do anything that will benefit us? Rest assured, their is some ulterior motive at play here, and all isn't how it seems. The government taking over anything is hardly ever a good thing, seeing how government is no longer "of", "by" and/or "for" the people.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's not actually taking control of anything, it's setting up a new bureaucracy.

Of course we negotiate things with Canada. So deals could be facilitated by this new bureaucratic device, at least the analysis on our side. For example, suppose we (that is the Federal government) give away some of our Arctic rights (that we get because we have Alaska) to Canada under the Law of the Sea Treaty, in exchange for Canada giving us some rights under the Boundary Waters Treaty to pipe water to Arizona?

A win-win situation except for the folks that live along the Great Lakes and have been so confident in their water supply because it's "protected by international treaty." But this is all hypothetical and in the future. So far he's just creating some new government jobs.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by oniongrass]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
National Ocean Council, or N.O.C. backwards = C.O.N.

I doubt theyre going to drill for oil, i doubt theyre going to ship water out of them.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
This is why Canada needs a nuclear deterrent force.

Not! Is all I can say to that, they all need to be dismantled permanently and all nuclear power plants on this earth. And the signatures approving these matters under consideration for lengthy prisons sentences for WMD and crimes against humanity. No exception made in yeilding to evil.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This is my second time back to this thread, it just takes words away from me to think it has come to this.

it is an important step in the possible doom and gloom scenarios.

I am sorry that it has happened. This is going to be bad. I wonde r if it is partly New Madras is going to go and they need in before it happens?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This sounds like Agenda 21 to me. If you haven't heard of it, look it up.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Back in the mid 90's I was involved as a research contractor for the Great Lakes 2000 joint US/Canada program which was meant to clean up the Great Lakes. The program was pretty straightforward, I made the silt analyzers to determine conductivity levels that could be used to vertically position specialized "scoops" that would remove polluted crap from the lake floor (horizontal positioning controlled by GPS) so it could be transported to the remediation process. The whole project was canned in the mid 90's as well. The problem, was that there were so many seriously dangerous pollutants on the lake floors that it would be realistically impossible to process the millions of cubic feet of PCB's, Tannen and other carcinogens, let alone all the normal everyday semi-poisonous junk. The plan for getting it off the bottom and onto a barge was perfect, however the logistics of shipping and remediation were simply unworkable. Without a serious change in the legislation on both sides of the border concerning corporate polluters it was damn near impossible to keep up with the real-time pollution alone, never mind what has been going on for the last 100+ years.

Someone mentioned eating/drinking anything out of the Great Lakes. DON'T! I've had at least one relative die from cancer after eating parts of a 43 lb salmon that came out of the water in Lake Ontario near Port Credit. When I tested the silt in Oshawa, Whitby and Port Hope it really disgusted me and one of the real problems as mentioned is how do you get rid of some of the pollutants like PCB's? They require molecular breakdown and the only place I knew of at the time was a plasma incinerator developed at RMC.

Between what we have done in the past and what is going on now, we may have almost come to a tipping point. Much more of this kind of irresponsible behavior and I am quite sure we will be going over the precipice into a situation of which, there is no recovery. But what would I know, I just used mass spectrophotometers, liquid chromatographs, conductivity and turbidity analyzers and other non-technical equipment to come to my conclusions and that was 15 years ago, so we have another decade and a half now of almost unrestrained pollution.

I think if the US wants to use Great Lakes water, let them, just let's make sure we have a concrete wall that runs down the centre of 4 out of the 5 Great Lakes so we can clean up our side and keep our half.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 8/22.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by falige

Well, if anyone can do damage, it is the government. Have you ever seen something that the government ran (maybe, with the exception of the military) that worked like it should, came in under budget, was finished sooner than expected, that required no new legislation?

Never forget that it was the government that gave us the $600 plus carpenter's hammer, the $300 plus toilet seat, etc., etc....

The Great Lakes would be best left to nature to reconfigure, not men in fine hats in Washington!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
More on this subject:

"And Now: The Stealth Obama Ocean Grab"

www.humanevents.com...

It's not enough that the White House is moving to lock up hundreds of millions of acres of land in the name of environmental protection. The Obama administration's neon green radicals are also training their sights on the deep blue seas. The president's grabby-handed bureaucrats have been empowered through executive order to seize unprecedented control from states and localities over "conservation, economic activity, user conflict and sustainable use of the ocean, our coasts and the Great Lakes."

Agenda 21 is right! This is called Oceans 21!

Another great article:
"How Obama Is Locking Up Our Land"
www.humanevents.com...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by On the Edge]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Well, now the Gov is in charge of the lakes, chemicals will soon pour into these waters too.

Sorry but your too late in your sentiments, the lakes are pretty much a cess pool now. Between raw sewage and chemical plants dumping pollutants for the past several decades, the threat of govt allowing more dumping isn't much of a threat at all - and I highly doubt anything in this bill is designed to allow more dumping.

Besides, private entrepreneurs are the ones posing the threat of "exporting" GL water, and was the subject of a meeting between former president GW Bush and Canadian PM Chrétien.

Exporting Fresh Water

This is one issue the governors of the 8 states bordering the Great Lakes have stuck to their guns on, there will be no exporting or diverting of water in the GLs. There have been the minor water pipelines to feed municipalities near the lakes, but those lie in areas that are still part of the GL watershed, meaning the water will eventually flow back to one of the lakes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join