It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Wow, those are amazing.
i am completely blown away at what you find deep down in the ocean,
had a search around and found a video with creatures like these.

S&F to the OP

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Hmm, cute strange looking creatures.

I wonder what they taste like.

gummy bears?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
And thank you guys aswell. For the nice replys, and enjoying the thread.

And yes the pictures are real

Check these two out.

In an ironic strategy for survival, a tiny shrimplike creature called an amphipod shows everything it has, inside and out, in an attempt to disappear.

The unusual animal, called Phronima, is one of the many strange species recently found on an expedition to a deep-sea mountain range in the North Atlantic.

National Geographic

With its polka-dot mantle and cartoonish expression, this glass squid brings out a lighter side of the inky ocean deep.

Scientists found the squid and other species while mapping more than 1,500 square miles (3,900 square kilometers) of an undersea mountain range in the North Atlantic.

Until now the region had scarcely been explored because of its remoteness and depth. But the new survey shows that the ridge is teeming with life, said Monty Priede, expedition leader and director of the University of Aberdeen's Oceanlab research center.

National Geographic

Beautiful.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thank you for posting these pictures! You know, scientists cannot explain exactly how the human eye works, and they cannot explain how a bumblebee can fly, with the shape, the size, the smallness of it's wings etc. We are still so ignorant of how the world around us works, and yet we think we know everything already. They are finding new species in New Guinea, in Peru, they've found new species at the bottom of the Atlantic and all these were recently found! Within the past year I think.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

I agree about humans still being ignorant about much of the natural world, however the Bumble Bee thing is a myth
You can read why on wiki here

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
wow they look like aliens, it makes me think if we will ever meet or understand life from another world, im starting to think no we wont understand them at all

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
wow they look like aliens, it makes me think if we will ever meet or understand life from another world, im starting to think no we wont understand them at all

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Amazing! S&F! The diversity of life on this planet never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. So many of us know very little of what little is known in our deep waters. It's a different world down there. IMHO it's gotta be somewhat of a time capsule down there in areas. New discoveries made all the time and existing models and definitions of life are changed now and then. Just may have to give the old movie The Abyss a watch again. Not quite so fantastical these days....

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You gotta love ATS !! Once or twice a week, I'll come across a thread that'll make me go WOW !!

This is one of them.

S&F

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

www.thedeepbook.org...

Since this creature is as yet unnamed, I suggest calling it the Mick Jagger fish.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Perhaps Pokemon ARE real

good find. Star and Flag

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This one is my favorite. How incredibly "space age" it looks!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f48f65634cc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Nice presentation Oozii, s&f for your efforts . I am always amazed by the new found hidden beauties that the Earth has to offer.. It does make you think though what is to be found in the other uncharted areas of the Oceans.
Munnopsis is my favorite.

I guess it makes sense. The world is covered more by waters, allowing more celestial interaction to occure within the oceans, via comets, asteriods and even just natural space debries from other stars or planets that may not have been destroyed upon entering the atmosphere falling into the oceans like radioactive star/planet dust..

Thanks again I am enjoying these.

[edit on 8/22/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy. Come on, Squishy Come on, little Squishy."

Source: Finding Nemo

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I'm always fascinated by creatures of the sea, they're just awesome to look at!

This is one of my favourites so far -

Never embedded a video before so hope it's worked ok

Great thread, S+F

Kyle

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

I vote for naming it Steve Tyler (Aerosmith). It's the lips.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Great thread!

The pictures are beautiful and very neat youtube clip.

I can't remember where I heard or read this but more men have walked on the moon then have dived 5 miles down into the Ocean.

I wonder how many undiscovered creatures make the Oceans their home.

I was watching one of the science channels and a scientist in Japan, after many years of researching got camera still shots of the giant squid, I guess these were the very first pictures anyone ever snapped.

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures, I so enjoyed it!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
awesome deep sea creatures seemingly out of this world.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This one is insane

also this guy

[edit on 22/8/10 by blupblup]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join