It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TB Patients Get Jail Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

TB Patients Get Jail Time for Skipping Their Meds

www.news24.com

Nairobi - A health official says a court in western Kenya has sentenced two tuberculosis patients to eight months in prison for skipping their medications.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.seattlepi.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Quarantine: A Standard Depopulation Strategy
White House report: End state criminalization of HIV transmission

[edit on 21-8-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Drug-resistant TB is spreading around the world.

The Kenyan government provides free diagnosis and treatment of TB. BUT - the drugs apparently are NOT the latest and best, and have significant side effects.

Are we moving into eugenics-type policies, and allowing the state to control individuals' bodies?

Is the World Bank forcing Kenya to take such draconian action?

What happens if the government does NOT pay for meds?

www.news24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Since TB is a serious matter someone has to do something.
Do you advocate just letting them go around infecting others?

They are lucky they were not forcefully instutionalized until they could be cured.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

We live a world chock full of infectious diseases - some more and less contagious - with many more new ones appearing all the time.

Where do you draw the line?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

We did the same thing in the 50's for TB. They would put you in hospitals just for the treatment of TB and you didn't leave till you were no longer able to transmit TB. This new strain should it get to other countries by legal and illegal immigrants could decimate populations. Diseases of all kinds and new strains are finding their way to countries that haven't had TB or Plague for decades. It's happening here in the US right now!

Zindo

[edit on 8/21/2010 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by OhZone

We live a world chock full of infectious diseases - some more and less contagious - with many more new ones appearing all the time.

Where do you draw the line?

Where do we draw the line?
Somewhere pretty close.
Depending on how contageious it is. the long term effects and the fatality rates.
Where would you draw it.
Should we let it reach epidemic proportions before we do anything, or nip it before that happens?
There will likely be cries of civil right etc.
And after all TPTB do want population reduction.
There would be even louder screams if there were a concerted effort at mass sterilization in those areas of the world where there are billions of starving poverty striken people. Disease and earth disasters are so "natural" that people will prefer it.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I'm possitive for TB and went through the treatment. It's a one time shot and if you fail to take the med's, they won't work a second time.

One man walked through the building I worked in and infected about dozen of us. I never even spoke with him, he just walked a few feet away from me.

5% who have it go active. It's often fatal. If you screwed up on your med's the first go and become active, that's it for you pretty much. Once active all you have to do is breath the same air in a room with others and many of them will be infected.

Go ahead. Lock them up. They knew they were risking other peoples lives because they were to stupid to take a few pills. If that's not negligent homicide, I don't know what is.

People may not be aware, but Drug Resistant TB is growing quickly in all communities where Immigrants are located.

My Mothers first Husband died from it a few months after they were married. That was in about 1932. She told me about visiting him in a Ward full of people dying from it. TB is a serious matter. Active people have to be controlled because they are walking biological weapons.

[edit on 8/21/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Is the World Bank forcing Kenya to take such draconian action?

What does the world bank have to do with TB?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This is sad.

I believe a human should have the right to choose whether to take medication or not, medication should not ever be forced upon anyone, no matter what deadly contagious disease they have.

However, if one makes the choice not to medicate TB when they become an active transmitter of the disease to innocent victims, they are endangering others lives.

I think people who choose to not medicate contagious diseases should be allowed to do so, but be promptly sent to quarantine to live out their lives.

Just because you choose not to take medication does not mean you should be allowed to infect others with your choice.

Is stupidity criminal?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
TB is a very serious and contagious disease! We had TB sanitoriums in the 1950's in the US to control the spread of the disease. Why wouldn't or shouldn't a person with TB take their medication - they would feel better and the disease would not spread making others sick - and yes it can be fatal. They should by all means be quarantined if they do not cooperate, they are putting other peoples lives at stake. 2 years ago my daughters husband became very sick, we took him to the ER - upon initial examination they thought he had TB - they immediatey quarantined him and ran further tests. The outcome was he had Leukemia but all the same it was right to make sure of what was going on first.

If the patients in Kenya were put in a prison and treated with disrespect with no concern for their needs I too would be upset, they do deserve health care but should not be allowed to spread the disease.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Jail and a forced quarantine are the same thing. You seem to be arguing with yourself.

This is not stupid, it causes others to die, that is criminal.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Problems like TB are probably going to get even worse now with so many people refusing vaccines. Even though the vaccine is only about 80% effective, once enough people have it, and herd immunity kicks in, these kind of diseases should be history.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Jail in Kenya - Quarantine in the US. TB is serious and will be taken that way, as it should. Most especially because of resistant strains. This is a public health issue. It needs to be treated as such. However, if they issue quarantine, they better be right about the diagnosis and the severity of the strain... Andrew Speaker example

[edit on 21-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Seems the consensus here is yes, Kenyan guys who skip their TB meds should be jailed or quarantined. Will you have the same opinion when it happens in the US? For some other disease?

...It's true that Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) is spreading around the world, and has been for some time.

...WHO estimates that there were almost half a million cases of MDR-TB worldwide in 2004, and MDR-TB usually has to occur before XDR-TB arises. We also know that findings from the only global study carried out so far showed that in some places perhaps as many as 19% of MDR-TB cases were in fact XDR-TB...

Frequently asked questions - XDR-TB

What is XDR-TB?

XDR-TB:Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis

One in three people in the world is infected with dormant TB germs (i.e. TB bacteria). Only when the bacteria become active do people become ill with TB. Bacteria become active as a result of anything that can reduce the person’s immunity, such as HIV, advancing age, or some medical conditions. TB can usually be treated with a course of four standard, or first-line, anti-TB drugs. If these drugs are misused or mismanaged, multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) can develop. MDR-TB takes longer to treat with second-line drugs, which are more expensive and have more side-effects.

XDR-TB

But the important questions aren't just about TB.

Should the forced medication/vaccine-quarantine-and/or-jail approach apply to ALL infectious diseases? For example:

* If the new Superbug (allegedly from India/Pakistan) spreads farther and becomes more obviously contagious, should victims be forced to get vaccinated, take meds, be quarantined and/or go to jail?

* If a new, equally contagious but more deadly swine/bird flu mutation appears, should people who won't take the vaccination go to jail?

* If other chronic diseases besides TB are found to be contagious (not just infectious), should victims be quarantined/jailed until a vaccine or cure is found?

* If insurance companies and governments can't or won't pick up the tab for needed meds and/or vaccinations, should people who can't afford treatment go to jail?

* If the only free meds for the poor are out-of-date ones being offloaded by drug companies for government cash, or unproven experimental drugs with lots of side-effects, should the poor be punished for refusing to take them?

* New disease mutations like drug resistant tuberculosis and H1N1 swine flu are linked to current animal husbandry practices, but the global agri-business industry fought successfully against the regulations and animal quarantines that might have prevented such diseases' occurrence: does it really make more sense to quarantine people instead of animals raised for food?

NOTE: New diseases are appearing with regularity now - it's only a matter of time before a killer Super Plague hits. Policy-makers and public health officials are boxed - and situations like this (jailing people for skipping their meds) are test cases, trial balloons to see how people react.

Bottom line: If you support jailing these 2 Kenyan men, then you are approving such measures as a response to any similar circumstance anywhere in the world.

Respectfully,
sofi

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I would hope that governments follow communicable and deadly disease patients worldwide. It is imperative to do so. If a person is off their meds and a carrier of TB a single cough on a plane could infect all those inside the cabin. It is like being in possesion of a deadly weapon. Of course regulation is in order.

To the above poster: It has already happened in the USA. The case of Andrew Speaker.

abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 21-8-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Andrew Speaker notwithstanding -

XDR-TB is not the only contagious disease in the world - and new contagious diseases are appearing regularly.

What if the salmonella recently found inside eggs mutates into an untreatable contagious strain? Should all the victims be jailed?

Does everyone really think jail is the best public health option? Should this rule be applied across the board?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Not to hijack my own thread, but the Andrew Speaker case does illustrate one of my concerns here…

Back in 2007, I reported that "The emergence of XDR TB is cause for concern because it is widely distributed geographically, including in the United States…"

But Andrew Speaker was the first TB patient to be quarantined in the US since 1963 - even though XDR-TB tends to develop in patients who can't afford their meds and has been in the US for at least three years, showing that other -likely poor or homeless- patients skipped their meds.

Anyone else wonder why Speaker was the one to get quarantined? …He didn't even didn't have XDR-TB.

Did he PO some major corporation or the government?

Speaker's law practice focuses on personal injury claims and corporate liability, including:

* Defective Products,
* Medical Malpractice,
* Medication Errors, and
* Product Liability.

The Speaker case just might illustrate one of the biggest problems with forced quarantine:

There is NO way to guarantee that victims are not detained for political purposes that have little to do with protecting public health.

Respectfully,
sofi

top topics

join