It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Jay, I get the impression from your responses that you're either not reading my posts, or are failng to understand them

I'll try to put it another way

The US Armed Forces (Navy, Army, Airforce) and the US Marines -- the US Coast Guard - US State and Federal agencies

all of them refuse to accept Ritalin users in one way or another

The US Armed Forces administration will not accept into its ranks anyone who cannot prove, via a medical doctor's sworn statement, that the individual has not used Ritalin for a minimum of 4 years prior

When it comes to the US Federal and State government agencies, no Ritalin user is permitted to operate in any area involved with security

Now, we know from the US Armed Forces stipulation that Ritalin users are not considered acceptable if they have not remained clean of Ritalin for at least four years. So we can presume from that, that in the opinon of the US Armed Forces administration, that Ritalin does not leave the user's system for 4 years.

And of equal interest is that US Federal and State government agents are not prepared to have Ritalin users anywhere near sensitive material or information at all. From that, we must assume that those agencies have reason to distrust Ritalin users

It has nothing at all do with whether or not Ritalin was incorrectly prescribed.

The objection held by the above offices makes clear that anyone affected by Ritalin is considered a poor risk .. is not to be relied upon or trusted around sensitive information, or around guns, around other troops, etc.

But at the same time, drug companies and some doctors are claiming that same drug, Ritalin, will enhance performance -- will increase and assist concentration -- will render the user more co-ordinated, more able to function

Do you see, Jay -- someone is telling lies about Ritalin

Either it does enhance performance, co-ordination, concentration, sociability, etc. -- or it does not

So who's lying -- the US Armed Forces and State and Federal governmetn agencies (who are prospective employers) ?

or the drug companies -- who are making a fortune from Ritalin ?

It can't be both, can it ? Because their positions are polar opposites

So what it is about Ritalin and Ritalin users that makes US administrations push them several poles' length away ?

Why won't all those different US government bodies touch Ritalin users until they've been 'clean' of Ritalin for at least 4 years ?

What is it about Ritalin that makes it users a security-risk in the eyes of both US State and Federal governmetn agencies ?

Do you feel it's a bit alarming ? Were you aware Ritalin has such a profound effect upon users that they're considered as security and Armed Forces *risk * ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
ADHD Could Be Misdiagnosed In Nearly I Million Kids Say Researchers

What a timely thread. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
give speed to any kid and tell em to draw or what not and youll have them very concentrated for a few hours,

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quaght
Spoken like a true Scientologist. L. Ron Hubbard and Tom Cruise will be proud of you! Bravo!

Since this has come up a few times Id like to put on record that I, the OP of this thread, am not a Scientologist nor do i endorse Scientology. Neither am I a member of the Anti-Psychiatry movement. Neither am I an anti-pharma-conspiracy-theorist. Im just a person who believes in the naturalness of that which is labelled ADHD.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I concur

You've pretty much summed up my attitudes also

(with certain reservations)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Quaght
Spoken like a true Scientologist. L. Ron Hubbard and Tom Cruise will be proud of you! Bravo!

Since this has come up a few times Id like to put on record that I, the OP of this thread, am not a Scientologist nor do i endorse Scientology. Neither am I a member of the Anti-Psychiatry movement. Neither am I an anti-pharma-conspiracy-theorist. Im just a person who believes in the naturalness of that which is labelled ADHD.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I do understand what you are saying, and i have answered your question perfectly. Ok, lets look at it this way. America alone, they say that thousands of people are diagnosed wrong when it come s to ADD/ADHD. If these people have been diagnosed wrong, and put onto ritalin, then yes, it can make that person worse. But that does not mean that ritalin does not work for people with add/adhd. Because of the wrong diagnosed americans, then i can understand that they feel that way. But thats not the fault of the drug itself, its the doctors who wrongly diagnose the condition. I am sure that in the future, there will be a simple test to diagnose the condition.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

You've become a little Star-magnet as far as I'm concerned

I like your light touch, too ... nice to have you in the thread if you don't find that presumtuous of me

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
One woman in a forum claimed that until her son began taking Ritalin, he was literally able to climb walls using only his fingertips. Gee, if I had a son who could do that, I wouldn't destroy such Spiderman talents with a drug. I'd encourage him to follow his chosen sport

This really is an example of what happens in RL though. SOME of these children (not all, obviously) have an abundance of energy. And THAT is was making people feel uncomfortable.

With an abundance of energy, accidents can happen. Parents are afraid of that. I recall how terrified my parents were when I played Tarzan on Trees, Batman on Roofs, etc. I did a lot of crazy things without injuring myself. If grown-ups had caught sight of me jumping off a tree Im sure they'd have rushed me to the Hospital.

Children live in another world. This world is little understood by pharma-pushers.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
your denial that your thread title was made on purpose solely to inflame?

If my personal opinion inflames you that is not my problem, its yours.

You've said many times how dissapointed you are because of my posts. But again, how you feel is not my responsibility, its yours.

I stand by the title of this thread and the OP 100%, despite all the calls to remove it, close it, have it tagged as a Hoax, etc..

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

ADD is not about abundence of energy...and ADHD is not either (it is more based on impulses).

Its about being able to concentrate when needed and no not all children can do this, that is part of being a child.

Most cases are normal chidlren being kids...but there are some that have trouble intaking information and stayign on task. Im not saying they are mentaly ill or have a disorder...Im saying that these kids struggle in school enviroments. Im also not saying medicine is the answer...but in extreme cases some chidlren cant even pass their classes due to their inablitiy to concentrate and stay on task.

The medicine, if its really needed, does not take away the child's abundance of energy. They dont become 'zombified' or anything or that sort. But when they need to sit and focus, it helps them do this.

I do think the majority that are diagnosed are just normal kids. Teachers and parents are taking advantage of the easy way out and using medicine. It does help them be less impulsive, to think before they act, to be able to stay on task better and concentrate when needed.

I still think its better, even with severe cases, to keep helping the child learn how to work with their self, be aware of how their thinking processes work, be aware of what distracts them, find study habits that will work for them. Its just as hard on the parents as it is frustrating on the child. Endless nights of long hours with homework....the parents need to stick with these children with positive encouragement. Telling them they are just lazy, not wanting to do the work, will not help them.

My Son finished 7th grade last year just barely. Every night we sat and went over work, every week the teachers and me communicated. He had to go over chapters several times before he could start to put it all together in his mind.

I think some of these kids are more of a bodily-kinetic learning style, rather then a verbal-linguistic learning style.

I think the 'label' is just man's way of saying these kids learn in a different process then others. I think its best to know when kids might need some extra nudging, some different perspectives of learning pathways, and understanding their personality in learning skills may help also.

My son tried medicine for 1 year. It was the best his grades have ever been (during 5th-6th grade). But him and I together made the decisions to work through his staying on task and concentration without the medicine. But it did help him in a big way with grades. It was a hard toss up between him actually not having a hard time at school...and between him learning on his own ways to cope and adjust with how he processes information and responds to the environment around him.

I have a cousin that has sever ADHD....he is 19 now. He tried to stop taking his medicine when he was 17...within a 3 month time span, he had 3 car accidents, all his fault, just not able to focus. Maybe he became reliant on the medicine to be his 'focus'...maybe he will always need it...IDK> but I know he did go back on the medicine and has not had a accident sense.

I think the whole medicine thing is really iffy. It can help in some ways, but can also hinder them when older for they never really was able to understand how they 'work' and cope and adjust to their own self.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
[edit on 23-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
can someone please enlighten me to as what the illness, sickness, neurological dysfunction is that causes the symptoms that makes up add or adhd ?

No, apparently not. One poster earlier mentioned her research paper that linked ADHD to having smaller brains. But other than that, nothing.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Can you provide a source for this? I tried doing a search and I all I turned up are anti-Ritalin sites and they're claiming different things from each other. Is it Ritalin specifically or all Schedule II drugs?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I posted this link earlier

It might be of assistance to Zerbot

Before accepting a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD, parents should rule out other conditions that show similar symptoms.

www.focusas.com...

Ok, to avoid contravening the 'excessive quote' rules, I'll type out the other conditions, i.e. those which have similar symptoms to those which are declared 'ADD/ADHD'

Allergies

Exposure to Toxins

Mild to high lead levels

Fluoride

High mercury levels

Carbon Monoxide

Hearing and Vision Problems

Emotional Stress

Spirited Children

Gifted Children

Spoiled and Undiciplined Children

Lack of understanding a Problem

Lack of Expressing how they feel

Foetal Alcohol Syndrome

Learning Style or Learning Disabilities

Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Sensory Integration Disfunction

Tourette Syndrome

Infestation of Candida Albicans

Intestinal Parasites

Streptococcus

Hypoglycemia

Hyper or Hypothyroidism

Genetic Disorders

Absence Seizure

Post Traumatic Disorders

Temporal Lobe Seizures

Head Injuries

Spinal Injuries

Some drugs (prescription and illegal)

Intentionally or Unintentionally Sniffing Materials

Other possible causes

* Malnutrition of Improper Diet

* B-vitamin deficiency

* Iron deficiency

* Lack of exercise

* Lack of sleep

* Viral or bacterial infections

* EArly onset diabetes

* Heart disease

* Brain cysts

* Early states Brain tumour

A fuller description of most of these is provided at the link

www.focusas.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You mean about the Armed Forces refusing Ritalin users, etc. ?

Yes, I posted the link a few pages back

Please hang on and I'll bring up another ATS window and scroll backwards

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Sorry for the delay

Here it is:

www.focusas.com...

And an excerpt:

Many parents do not realize that if their child takes Ritalin or other psychostimulant medication past the age of 12, according to the 1999 Military Recruitment Manual, that child may not join the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, or National Guard until after a doctor has signed a paper stating that the person has been off the medication for four years.

Also, if a child uses Ritalin or other psychostimulant medication, the state or federal government cannot hire him or her if the job involves state secrets or national security, because that child is a Class 2 drug user.

If a child uses Ritalin or other psychostimulant medication, some insurance companies will turn down that child for being a Class 2 drug user, and may even turn down the entire family. Other health insurance companies will raise rates and write in a pre-existing condition clause, excluding some coverage for the ADD/ADHD child.

www.focusas.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Im committing a cardinal sin - I'm posting without reading the whole thing...

I was diagnosed ADHD in 1979. My mother fought tooth and nail and she actually had to plead before the school board to allow me admittance without medication.

I ate on the Feingold diet from the time I was 4 til I was 18. I was a star athlete, earned a 3.8 sleeping through many classes, and had plenty of extracurricular stuff to keep me occupied.

Its not a condition - its a blessing. All people like me need is the little bit of extra effort to keep us on track. we're not intentionally difficult, we're just thinking and reacting faster than everyone else.

Research is pointing to this being a leftover of hunter-gatherer era skills, when twitchy, high energy fast thinking and movement got the kill, and therefore the girl, and therefore other little twitchy, high energy folk.

So, don't medicate us. Just help us channel our energy somewhere constructive. Most of us don't want to stand out, just be part of the group, too.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

I agree with you about it's not being a 'condition'

But if it weren't, there'd be no justification for medicating it as a 'condition'

ergo: no profits for drug companies

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join