It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Thank you and Thank you. It is lovely isn't it? JohnQ is quite the artist.

Didn't mean to be gruff, Dock. Sometimes I guess it is a waste of time to point out the obvious. But other times.....a swift kick in the pants might be helpful.

Just saying.
Have a good one.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Noncompatible
"It's not my/his/her fault. They have [insert convenient 3 or 4 letter acronym here]".
That is not an illness, it is an abdication of personal responsibility.

Denial of personal responsibility is hugely popular in these times.

"Its not my fault that I am Obese. It has nothing to do with all the soda and fast food I eat everyday. Its genetics. Science says so"
Like your denial that your thread title was made on purpose solely to inflame? You have ,managed to insult a lot of people with your title, and lack of support to prove it.

But that's ok there is enough denial to go around, us "defenders" will share with you!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just an observation...

If ADD and ADHD aren't real then why did it take me three days worth of opening and closing this thread, over and over again, before I finally made it to the end?

And, yes, I have been told that I have ADHD. I don't take medication, but that is a personal choice because I found the side effects of the meds mitigated their benefit to me.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Jay-morris
So, you are dismissing that my life is better with ritalin. You will never win with people like you because you think you are always right, and everyone else is wrong.

YOUR life may be better with Ritalin. But dont go so far as to advertise it as THE Key to a Life of Happiness
You agree, ritilin may indeed help someone who has adhd by admission.

Yet then you accuse them of claiming it is the key to a life of happiness.

Which they never once did.

Such poor debate skills from our OP, and moderator.

VERY disappointing, I expect more from the OP than to toss about bald faced lies to prop up an unproven and unevidenced titular claim.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You see, this sort of hostile attempt at sarcasm does nothing to further discussion

There are tens of thousands of sites on the net engaged in debunking and substantiating ADD/ADHD

Many of those sites are run by or patronized by qualified neurologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, mental health experts, researchers, clinicians and others eminent in their field

As such, they cannot afford to write in the same style as we. In many instances, their reputation is at risk, also their careers, tenure, etc.

Big Pharma is an enormously powerful beast with a long reach

Yet people who've dedicated decades to their profession have stuck out their necks, career-wise, in order to warn about what they believe to be the bogus 'condition' known as ADD/ADHD and about the drugs used to 'treat' a condition they believe (in their professional capacity) does not exist

Did you read, for example, that

the ADHD scientific “discovery” process was literally a vote by a show of hands at an American Psychiatric Association (APA) Committee meeting in 1987.
?

Well, I guess you did, since your post contains the quote

A show of hands ?

You're in a conspiracy forum, in a thread within the medical conspiracies section, yet you find nothing conspiratorial about a 'condition' described as 'bogus' by numerous experts in the field --- being 'decided', by a show of hands by members of what itself is regarded as 'lunatic science', 'fringe medicine', 'quackery' ?

And to top it off, you airily dismiss any source which fails to laud ADD/ADHD and it's chemical cure ?

Despite that the US armed forces, and US Federal and State governments -- refuse to accept Ritalin users (who are classed officially as 'Class 2 drug users who are not considered by State or Federal or Armed Forces administrations to be 'clean' for a period of 4 years after ceasation of Ritalin use )

Not considered 'clean' until four years after ceasing Ritlain

What is *IN* that stuff ?

Do you know ?

Isn't Ritalin suppposed to make users think more clearly -- behave more co-ordinatedly and 'normally' ?

Yet the Armed Forces and US Federal and State administrations do not trust Ritalin users ? Do not trust them to operate machinery or guns ? Do not trust them to interact safely with others ? Do not trust them with confidential information ?

But you ignore this information because it doesn't suit you, apparently

You attempt to dismiss the source, as if in that way you can discredit any source which itself discredits -- unintentionally -- the use of Ritalin ?

That's your main concern -- attempting to silence and ridicule that which does not suit you ? Regardless of the implications ?

You're fine with children being prescribed a substance which is sought and sold on the drug-market ?

You're content for children to use a drug which scares the daylights out of US State and Federal and Armed Forces administration ?

You're fine with children taking a drug that -- according to US Armed Forces administration --- takes at least 4 years to leave the system ?

You're trying to persuade that the US Armed Forces administration doesn't know what it's talking about ?

And you honestly believe US State and Federal agencies don't know either ?

And in an attempt to persuade others not to learn about all this, you ridicule the sources who provided the information ?

Yet the US State and Federal agencies and the US Armed Forces administration continue to regard Ritalin users as Class-2 drug users --- regardless of which site reports that information ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Hostile? Try informative and it is called rebutting, study debate, that is all I am doing here.

If my post is hostile what do you class yours as?

oftem times we accuse another of doing exactly what we ourselves do.

I am sure there is a drug for the condition.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

No, you try and hide your insults, anyone who reads your posts will see this, and its now begining to get on my nerves. Ok, first thing first.

I appreciate that you're very committed to ADD/ADHD

Committed! Now, anyone can see how this is a huge insult. Are people commited to having cancer, bipolar, tinitus etc That post clearly shows how arragont you are. You think i have been commited to having a crappy childhood, knowing something was was, you think i was commited to that, thinking i failed at everything. You think i was commited to that! You think i wanted that?

But surely even you are able to understand that there are literally millions of people out there who don't share your devotion -- possibly because they have no driving need to

And now i am devoted to having ADD! and you really think that saying such stuff is not an insult to me, and other people who have ADD? I guess you don't because your arragonce does not let you.

You're misinterpreting my posts

Far from it!

then instead of realising that you're putting words in my mouth which do not exist in my posts you continue as if your version of my posts is the true one and proceed to personally attack me on the strength of your wildly inaccurate interpretations

I am confident that people can see how you are insulting people on this thread who have ADD.

Now that in itself is symptomatic of the narcissistic personality

Im sorry, that will not work. So, you think its wrong to come on here and speak about ADD, and how it has effected me through my life. And do you think its wrong to stick up for myself when some people on here is saying its BS?

so I'll choose to regard it as the 'jump to conclusions' type knee-jerk response typically evidenced in people who're determined to win at any and all costs --- even if truth is kicked to the kerb in the process

You know what, the more you write, the more you reveal about yourself on this thread. Like i said before, i shouldn't i come on this thread and stick up for me, and other people who have ADD. Oh right, i forgot, its because you think its a load of rubbish.

You do not 'own' ADD/ADHD

What! do people own other conditions or illnesess!

So there's no requirement for you to attack other posters personally

Lol, again, your arragonce thinks its ok to insult people with ADD, because you don't believe it. Anyone who reads your posts will see how you insult people, so don't go there.

ADD/ADHD may feel like a religion to you

Well, another insult!

So as long as you're happy to be just another claiming to suffer from a seriously-discredited condition, you have no need to attack other posters as if this were a knife-fight, ok ?

Lol now after that mess of a post you have just written, i hope people will see why i am annoyed and insulted!

Im sorry mods, but people like this just annoy me. He throws insults left right and centre, then moans that i am. He does not seem to understand, just because he does not believe ADD to be real, does not mean that gives him the right to say the things he has said.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I do recommend you take in the information contained in my above post

and give it some consideration and thought

It's not my work. It merely reports. And that information paints a frightening picture of Ritalin and by association, the promotion of ADD/ADHD

This isn't a little tit-for-tat discussion. It's not a chance to show what smarty pants we can be. It's not intended as an opportunity to rack up posts and points

Some substance is sought, ok ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Now, seeing as you wish to convey you harbour a great deal of information about ADD/ADHD and its chemical 'cure', Ritalin

please explain if you will, why the US Armed Forces, for example, will not accept any user of Ritalin, until a qualified medical doctor provides it his written belief that the individual has not used Ritalin for minimum of 4 years ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

How about you, Jay ?

What can you tell us about Ritalin which will explain why the US Armed Forces administration refuses to accept users of Ritalin unless they can provide sworn testimony from a qualified medical doctor to the effect the individual has not used Ritalin during the previous 4 years ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by Jay-morris

How about you, Jay ?

What can you tell us about Ritalin which will explain why the US Armed Forces administration refuses to accept users of Ritalin unless they can provide sworn testimony from a qualified medical doctor to the effect the individual has not used Ritalin during the previous 4 years ?

I can tell you what ritalin has done for me, and i have said already what it has done for me in previous posts. I think if you really have ADD, then using ritalin can only benefit you, like it has me. But if you take the drug, but don't have ADD, then im sure its not good for you.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Either of you, Baked or Jay, able to explain why the Coast Guard, for instance, will not accept users of Ritalin ?

What's it about ?

Those claiming to 'suffer from ADD/ADHD' claim Ritalin has been their life-saver. You claimed that, didn't you, Jay ? You said it had worked wonders for you and alleviated all those symptoms you described. You claimed that since being prescribed Ritalin, your life has become successful and you've been able to apply yourself to your new career ... as a graphic designer, if m y memory serves

So, based on your personal testimony, we could be mistaken for believing that Ritalin clams people down, perhaps ? That it increases and aids concentration ? That it renders people more socialble, more organised ?

But the Coast Guard believes otherwise, obviously

What's the explanation ? Do you know ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

the ADHD scientific “discovery” process was literally a vote by a show of hands at an American Psychiatric Association (APA) Committee meeting in 1987.

That quote is very misleading. The DSM-III-R was released in 1987, so this raise of hands was in truth the final decision of the APA to include the disorder in their newest manual of recognized disorders. If you know anything about how the DSM is put together then you'd know that years of research and debate goes into it before any decisions are reached. So, yes it was originally recognized after a vote, but not before countless studies are done on the legitimacy of the disorder, just like every other disorder recognized by the APA. So, if this process is good enough for a legitimate disease like depression, why isn't it good enough for ADHD?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by Dock9

Either of you, Baked or Jay, able to explain why the Coast Guard, for instance, will not accept users of Ritalin ?

What's it about ?

Those claiming to 'suffer from ADD/ADHD' claim Ritalin has been their life-saver. You claimed that, didn't you, Jay ? You said it had worked wonders for you and alleviated all those symptoms you described. You claimed that since being prescribed Ritalin, your life has become successful and you've been able to apply yourself to your new career ... as a graphic designer, if m y memory serves

So, based on your personal testimony, we could be mistaken for believing that Ritalin clams people down, perhaps ? That it increases and aids concentration ? That it renders people more socialble, more organised ?

But the Coast Guard believes otherwise, obviously

What's the explanation ? Do you know ?

You just don't seem to understand what i am saying. Are you saying that i am lying about what ritalin has done to me, or its some placebo effect going on here? Are you saying i suffered all my life, then started taking ritalin, then the placebo effect kicked in? Please tell me what you really think?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Who exactly is labeling it a mental illness?

The Di-agnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Then there are those US Federal and State government agencies, aren't there ?

Now, you'd expect Federal and State agencies would be delighted to have amongst their employees people who are calm, organised, able to concentrate, etc.

And people such as yourself, Jay, claim Ritalin has provided you with those attributes

Are you able to explain, therefore, why US State and Federal government agencies have it as their policy *NOT* to employ users of Ritalin in sensitive areas involved with, for example, Homeland Security ?

Why is that ? What do US State and Federal agencies *know* about Ritalin and Ritalin users ?

IF those State and Federal government agencies refuse to allow Ritalin users into sensitive areas involved in security and other matters, such as Homeland Security --- it can only be because those government agencies believe and/or *know* that Ritalin users are indiscreet, right ? Believe and/or *know * that Ritalin users cannot be trusted to perform in the manner required as regards confidential informationa and dealings

Did you know, prior to this, Jay, that US State and Federal agencies have these concerns, this knowledge, this certainty ?

How many others did not know ?

How many parents right now do not know that their child will be refused by the US Coast Guard, by the US Armed Forces and others, if they have taken one whiff of Ritalin for the past four years ?

Is anyone telling parents this ? Do those kids know ? Shame, isn't it, if they have their heart set on joining the Marines -- because they'll be refused

So what is in that stuff that governments know will affect their performance even four years after it was last used ?

Why are drug users trying to buy Ritalin ?

You see ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I already answerd you! If people are being diagnosed with ADHD/ADD, but miss-diagnosed, then i can't see anyway ritalin can help. But thats completly different to someone who has ADHD/ADD, like me, where all it has done is benefit me. But to be honest, i think no matter what i say, your not going to budge.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Rather than take the easy way out by directing your remarks etc. to the poster who cited the quote

why not take your opinions, etc. direct to source ?

Much more effective and actually the only way you'll derive any satisfaction

The link to the source is contained underneath the quote in my post

Best wishes with your enquiries and dialogue with the source

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rrobbins
Well Sky, actually, your smug condescending response is exactly why I will not be posting again to ATS.

Thats a loss for ATS because experts are sometimes painfully lacking here.

I do see teenagers who self medicate their untreated ADHD with drugs like marijuana.

OMG....you mean teenagers making Decisions for themselves? Quickly, drug them!

Your insulting reply to my post demonstrated a hostile agenda where anyone who disagrees with you is small minded, and a shill for the pharmaceutical industry.

Not at all. Ive already established that I am not categorically anti-pills and that your presence as an expert is/was appreciated.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reflections

If you look a little deeper (in my opinion), from a psychological point of view it is a social fear of our own inability to control ourselves, and our fear to ensure that others will accept us as one of the tribe.

Spot on. I recommend all readers of this thread to read your post in its entirety.

Link to the Post

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join