It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
This reminded me of a time when I would wake up on a Saturday, get dressed, and go outside with 8-12 of my friends. Parents were still asleep and wouldn't have a clue where exactly I was all day, just knowing that I would be home before the streetlights came on later in the evening.

This is not only missing these days, but would bring a feeling of absolute terror to the parents of today. And we went out without wearing a helmet too!!!!!!!!!

None of us were ever accused of being ADHD as that never existed in those days. Or at least not in the way that it is today. We burnt off any excess energy and did what we are meant to do.

We used our imaginations, roamed, explored, made mistakes, and yet we survived. Or at least most of us.

The ADHD case is only one piece of the puzzle in a larger movement to turn society into a bunch of pansies who live in fear 24/7.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
What is displayed by sky and these deniers is a complete apathy towards the genuine suffering of these individuals and the families they come from.

It's extreme narcissism, such as NPD or APD.

I see you have the urge to bestow a label of mental illness upon me.

Pharma companies continually draw the card "If you dont drug the person, you lack empathy for their suffering".

I am not categorically against pills. But I can see through the "lack empathy" card because Ive seen it used many times by marketeers and snake-oil-salesmen.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This thread has morphed into a "lets rag on the medical profession and pharmacology"

The next time you get real sick, don't even think about a Medical doctor;
Some new age guru, witchdoctor can fix you up with herbs and incantations.

Just for the record I'd like to state that I do not reject the medical profession, psychiatry or phrmacology.

Being skeptical of some of its aspects does not equal blanket rejection.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

One thing i miss, is my imagination. I lived in my own imagination for a long time, and that has kinda been taken away since i have been taking ritalin.

While I dont agree with some of them, I'd like to thank you for your detailed accounts and posts in this thread. Im sure they are very helpful for other people suffering these symptoms.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
you're not going to find a simple answer listening to a moderator's OPINION or by reading pop-culture books. This thread started as a non-acceptable hoax the minute Sky stated something "as fact" without any proof...

There is a difference between a Hoax and Opinion. I am expressing an Opinion. A Hoax is a deliberate attempt at fakery.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
How many times do I have to say ADD/ADHD is an umbrella label?

According to the DSM it's a Mental Disorder. "Umbrella Label" is another way of saying that as a specific Disorder it does not exist.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
[edit on 23-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
I'm pretty sure many people realize that the pharmaceutical corporations are backing and making up disorders (like Restless leg syndrome) just to push their cancer pills and make millions.

Your are joking right? RLS is very much real. I think alot of people are really enjoying playing God on this thread. To turn around and say your condition is not real must give some of these people a sense of power.

So yes, i do get p*ssed off with these people because i know their true motive, and it's really sad. There is more than enough evidence that ADHD/ADD is very much real, but very hard to diagnose. There is evidense that show the brains of adhd/add people are slightly different. But people on this thread dont care about that, they are more interested in playing god and not even listening to people who know first hand what the condition is like.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Jay-morris]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Since last in this thread, I've been reading the unambigious debunkings of ADD/ADHD by any number of respected professionals

Yet still those who've invested emotionally into their own or child's claimed 'ADD/ADHD' fight furiously online

Many begin with words to the effect: " I am / my child is highly intelligent and does suffer from ADD/ADHD. It is real. ADD/ADHD does exist. Only the ignorant refuse to acknowledge it. I struggled for years until I /my child was diagnosed. Why don't all these experts and neurologists and school principals and researchers stop denying ADD/ADHD ! It is real"

One woman in a forum claimed that until her son began taking Ritalin, he was literally able to climb walls using only his fingertips. Gee, if I had a son who could do that, I wouldn't destroy such Spiderman talents with a drug. I'd encourage him to follow his chosen sport

There's also a Chinese-whisper being disseminated via online forums claiming ADD/ADHD was 'around in the mid-1700s

Another myth beloved of those who clearly desperately need to believe in the reality of ADD/ADHD, is that its 'sufferers' are a form of the 'new, more evolved human'

It's like a cult !

Those claiming membership either personall or via their child, spend enormous amounts of time, apparently, promoting ADD/ADHD online

and they give online hi-fives when they recognise each other in forums

Considering the cold water thrown on ADD/ADHD by swathes within various scientific disciplines -- compared to the billions of dollars derived from ADD/ADHD by the drug companies, it looks likely the 'debate' will continue for decades to come

As I said in an earlier post -- it's a brave man or expert who tries to get between someone and their condition/syndrome

Before accepting a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD, parents should rule out other conditions that show similar symptoms.

www.focusas.com...

The 'other conditions' number more than a dozen

Other possible causes of ADHD behavior are

and another eight or so are listed

Although no chemical imbalance has ever been proven, health professionals prescribe psychostimulant medication (such as Ritalin, Strattera, Adderall) as the primary treatment in correcting the 'chemical imbalance'. In 2000, more than 19 million prescriptions for ADHD drugs were filled, a 72% increase since 1995.

There's a warning advising that unless a doctor is prepared to certify that a patient has not taken Ritalin in the past four years, a person will not be accepted into the Navy, Army, Ariforce, Marines, Coastguard, National Guard, etc.

Also, a child taking Ritalin is classed as a Class-2 Drug User and will not be employed by the Federal or State governments if the work involves State Secrets of National Security

And some interesting information about the number of Ritalin users who are approached and who do in fact sell their medications illegally. In some regions, the percentage has been placed as high as 34%

plus lots of other information that many might not be aware of

Of course, the idea of parents conscientiously vetting their children for the numerous symptoms which indicate conditions other than ADD/ADHD is laughable really

Why would a parent bother when it's so much easier to waltz into the playground and proudly announce to the other parents that their son is not spoiled or undiciplined at all, as many had said. No, he has ADD/ADHD, like all the best kids. The nice doctor said so. And had just supplied the boy with his very own first dose of Ritalin. So there, ner ner

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Again and again, you write your posts as if you know what every child/man with add feels, and you that all parents use adhd as an excuse to drug them up or why they behave the way they do. It is total BS. Was it you who said why is this only a western thing, when clearly, its a world wide thing.

It seems to me that you have taken this a step further, you even sound a bit jealous! Of course its good to talk to other people with ADD, because they know what its like. Its the same with anything, so why should it be any different with ADHD/ADD?

Yes, we all know that loads of kids are diagnosed wrong, but you have used that to deicide that the condition is a load of rubbish, and thats all you care about.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Jay, I haven't made my remarks personal

Why do you ?

I appreciate that you're very committed to ADD/ADHD

But surely even you are able to understand that there are literally millions of people out there who don't share your devotion -- possibly because they have no driving need to

You're misinterpreting my posts

then instead of realising that you're putting words in my mouth which do not exist in my posts

you continue as if your version of my posts is the true one

and proceed to personally attack me on the strength of your wildly inaccurate interpretations

Now that in itself is symptomatic of the narcissistic personality

It's also known as outright lying

but I'm continuing to give benefit of the doubt

so I'll choose to regard it as the 'jump to conclusions' type knee-jerk response typically evidenced in people who're determined to win at any and all costs --- even if truth is kicked to the kerb in the process

You do not 'own' ADD/ADHD

It's one of the most commonly claimed 'conditions' on the planet

So there's no requirement for you to attack other posters personally

ADD/ADHD may feel like a religion to you

but in reality, it's mostly about a highly questionable 'one drug fix all' collection of symptoms (many of them very ordinary and normal) and about a mass produced drug about which many share concern

and from which drug manufacturers make billions of dollars from every year

So as long as you're happy to be just another claiming to suffer from a seriously-discredited condition, you have no need to attack other posters as if this were a knife-fight, ok ?

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
can someone please enlighten me to as what the illness, sickness, neurological dysfunction is that causes the symptoms that makes up add or adhd ?

please enlighten me ,

i mean people who suffer from these must by all means know them selfs what the cause is for their "illness" right not to mention them that diagnose you with such an illness.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
There's this, for example:

For all of psychiatry’s pretensions to being a science, the ADHD scientific “discovery” process was literally a vote by a show of hands at an American Psychiatric Association (APA) Committee meeting in 1987.

After it was inserted into the American Psychiatric Association’s billing bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), within one year, 500,000 American children were diagnosed as ADHD sufferers. Despite the total lack of objective proof of its existence, millions of children have been harmed through the use of this diagnosis

www.cchr.org.au...

That is a * mild * comment about ADD/ADHD

The Net positively bristles with them

Here's another, again, very mild:

It is not a “disease”, despite claims or implications made by certain psychiatric or pharmaceutical organisations. There is NO credible scientific evidence that shows the existence of what constitutes “ADHD” as a biological/neurological disorder, brain abnormality or “chemical imbalance”.

“For a disease to exist there must be a tangible, objective physical abnormality that can be determined by a test such as, but not limited to, blood or urine test, X-Ray, brain scan or biopsy. All reputable doctors would agree: No physical abnormality, no disease. In psychiatry, no test or brain scan exists to prove that a ‘mental disorder’ is a physical disease. Disingenuous comparisons between physical and mental illness and medicine are simply part of psychiatry’s orchestrated but fraudulent public relations and marketing campaign.” Fred Baughman, MD., Neurologist & Pediatric Neurologist.

www.cchrint.org...

“Chemical imbalance” it’s a shorthand term really, it’s probably drug industry derived “We don’t have tests because to do it, you’d probably have to take a chunk of brain out of someone – not a good idea.” Dr. Mark Graff, Chair of the Committee of Public Affairs for the American Psychiatric Association. July, 2005.

www.cchrint.org...

A quote taken at random basically, from all the information provided in this Rense.com atricle about the fraud that is ADD/ADHD:

In the 60's, psychiatry and pharmaceutical industry launched a psychopharmacology MARKETING STRATEGY. They would call all emotional/behavioral problems "brain diseases." Thus, the public came to believe in "chemical balancers" -pills - for "chemical imbalances" (of the brain). Moreover, they have ceased to understand what "normal" is.

www.rense.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
so in other words you have an "illness" that shows up as a collection symptoms yet no real neurological or biological proof of it other then that there is the symptoms, sweet.

i mean usualy you know that part of your body is broken when they heal you...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by argentus

Thanks for the real-life-report and especially how your father and you dealt with it.

Ive seen it "just dissappear over time" with other kids as well, with or without the Meds.

On the other hand I know someone who is adult and was diagnosed ADHD as a kid who still has the "crazy legs".

To some extent, I believe that my 'crazy legs' might be a vestiage of a learned condition -- it apparently soothed some need in my formative years, and the habit persists. I'm aware (some of the time) when it is annoying to someone, and can stop it if I choose. I tend to avoid situations where I might be expected to sit quietly for any period of time.

It's been very interesting to get caught up on your thread, especially with the introduction of peripheral conditions that might get "junkdrawered" into ADHD.

Curiously, where I live now on this wee island, there isn't much awareness of ADHD, and therefore little pharmacological treatment for it. There ARE several caring teachers and other professionals who seem to take it in stride and treat the various related conditions as a behavior to be modified in order to augment the flow of classrooms. That can and is viewed by some as an oppression of the kids' spirits by causing them to conform.

I think the above might well be a 'style' of small towns anyway -- more awareness of people around you and a greater push for conformity as having a societal value.

Very fascinating thread, and as you inferred earlier, some folks can focus well -- at least temporarily -- on ideas that they are interested in.

Great read!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
In an above post, I noted that in some regions, people who are presecribed Ritalin are commonly approached by others who wish to buy the drug from them

And the same source (link was provided) went on to say that in some regions, 34% of people who are prescribed Ritalin * do * in fact sell it on to others who wish to use it (as a form of recreational drug ? why else ? )

So it's possibly not all that surprising that many who receive regular prescriptions for Ritalin, are frightened by any thread or discussion critical of 'ADD/ADHD'

Perhaps they feel that if large numbers of people question the validity of 'ADD/ADHD' as comprising a 'real' condition -- that this might collapse the ADD/ADHD world -- and result in their not being able to get their Ritalin ?

Why would those not claiming to suffer from ADD/ADHD, try to buy Ritalin prescriptions, unless Ritalin performs as a mind-altering drug ?

As we know from one of my previous posts, in the US, users of Ritalin are classified as Class-2 drug users and will not be employed by State or Federal governments in areas involved in Security, State secrets, etc.

Not will the ARmy, Airforce, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, etc. accept any Ritalin users, unless a doctor is prepared to guarantee that the individual has not used Ritalin for the past four years

What is all this saying ?

* US State and Fed. governments regard Ritalin users as Class 2 drug users

* Armed forces etc. not prepared to accept Ritalin users unless a doctor guarantees they've been clean for minimum 4 years

* Ritalin sought and purchased by non 'ADD/ADHD' individuals

Does this mean that Ritalin is posing as a medical treatment when in fact it's a mind-altering substance ?

Is the pharmaceutical industry providing a pleasurable drug experience in the form of Ritalin ?

Is this one of the reasons its users fight so ferociously in Ritalin's defence ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good lord. This is has turned into a food fight, only you guys are flinging fecal matter.

And please stop "diagnosing" one another. It's so unattractive.

..........off to unsubscribe......

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Gee, that was an amazing contribution

Guess it's only purpose was to show off that avatar, huh ?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
There's this, for example:

For all of psychiatry’s pretensions to being a science, the ADHD scientific “discovery” process was literally a vote by a show of hands at an American Psychiatric Association (APA) Committee meeting in 1987.

After it was inserted into the American Psychiatric Association’s billing bible, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), within one year, 500,000 American children were diagnosed as ADHD sufferers. Despite the total lack of objective proof of its existence, millions of children have been harmed through the use of this diagnosis

www.cchr.org.au...

That is a * mild * comment about ADD/ADHD

The Net positively bristles with them

Here's another, again, very mild:

It is not a “disease”, despite claims or implications made by certain psychiatric or pharmaceutical organisations. There is NO credible scientific evidence that shows the existence of what constitutes “ADHD” as a biological/neurological disorder, brain abnormality or “chemical imbalance”.

“For a disease to exist there must be a tangible, objective physical abnormality that can be determined by a test such as, but not limited to, blood or urine test, X-Ray, brain scan or biopsy. All reputable doctors would agree: No physical abnormality, no disease. In psychiatry, no test or brain scan exists to prove that a ‘mental disorder’ is a physical disease. Disingenuous comparisons between physical and mental illness and medicine are simply part of psychiatry’s orchestrated but fraudulent public relations and marketing campaign.” Fred Baughman, MD., Neurologist & Pediatric Neurologist.

www.cchrint.org...

“Chemical imbalance” it’s a shorthand term really, it’s probably drug industry derived “We don’t have tests because to do it, you’d probably have to take a chunk of brain out of someone – not a good idea.” Dr. Mark Graff, Chair of the Committee of Public Affairs for the American Psychiatric Association. July, 2005.

www.cchrint.org...

A quote taken at random basically, from all the information provided in this Rense.com atricle about the fraud that is ADD/ADHD:

In the 60's, psychiatry and pharmaceutical industry launched a psychopharmacology MARKETING STRATEGY. They would call all emotional/behavioral problems "brain diseases." Thus, the public came to believe in "chemical balancers" -pills - for "chemical imbalances" (of the brain). Moreover, they have ceased to understand what "normal" is.

www.rense.com...

Of course the net is full of anti anything. For instance your example are from anti mental health site, and RENSE.

Hold on while I pull up daily mail, national enquirer, a random blog, and Alex Jones to support my case. BRB.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurefireII
Jesus, listen to yourselves, you're all a bunch of whiners! Poor kids, poor teachers! Don't you get it? First, there are many titles in which a doctor uses to describe over energetic children, but the term ADHD is just another title for the FDA to approve drugs for. Every decade, we see yet another term to describe children who's parents are to damn lazy to take an interest. SO what do we do?, drug the kids up and send them on there way!
Secondly, in regards to the teachers, with this economy, and teachers pay being cut left and right, do you really think they want to come and teach, aka work? I've heard the crap argument about how teachers love to teach blah blah blah., that may be so, but they dont do it for free! So there you have it , teachers dont get paid enough, they use any excuse they can, ( or atleast what the liberal media will allow) AND RUN WITH IT, mean while we have these damn hippie doctors who throw pills down our childrens throat all to charge 20 bucks a pill~
Hey wait, maybe there's another term we can use : LAPTAI: Lazy Ass Parents Take An Interest!

[edit on 22-8-2010 by SurefireII]
Kids with cancer take drugs.

I guess those damn lazy parents should have got off their behinds and parented.

If I were prone to doing someone else's work for them I would google up some articles that say cancer does not exist.

But I will take the OP way and just state my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join