It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Jesus, listen to yourselves, you're all a bunch of whiners! Poor kids, poor teachers! Don't you get it? First, there are many titles in which a doctor uses to describe over energetic children, but the term ADHD is just another title for the FDA to approve drugs for. Every decade, we see yet another term to describe children who's parents are to damn lazy to take an interest. SO what do we do?, drug the kids up and send them on there way!
Secondly, in regards to the teachers, with this economy, and teachers pay being cut left and right, do you really think they want to come and teach, aka work? I've heard the crap argument about how teachers love to teach blah blah blah., that may be so, but they dont do it for free! So there you have it , teachers dont get paid enough, they use any excuse they can, ( or atleast what the liberal media will allow) AND RUN WITH IT, mean while we have these damn hippie doctors who throw pills down our childrens throat all to charge 20 bucks a pill~
Hey wait, maybe there's another term we can use : LAPTAI: Lazy Ass Parents Take An Interest!

[edit on 22-8-2010 by SurefireII]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Jesus, listen to yourselves, you're all a bunch of whiners! Poor kids, poor teachers! Don't you get it? First, there are many titles in which a doctor uses to describe over energetic children, but the term ADHD is just another title for the FDA to approve drugs for. Every decade, we see yet another term to describe children who's parents are to damn lazy to take an interest. SO what do we do?, drug the kids up and send them on there way!

Or.. perhaps it actually exists? Do you do these things?

- Listening to someone, you zone out. You are looking at them.. they are talking.. but you are hearing nothing, your mind has wandered off and you are thinking about something else.

- In the middle of a task at work, something else catches your attention.. and the project you were working on is just.. gone.. out of your mind, you are doing the second thing. You may not remember the first one at all.

- Be sitting at your computer or something.. and you can't decide what to do. To the point where you just sit there.. for 10 minutes.. staring.. doing nothing at all.

- Forget appointments and meetings and tasks completely. Even important ones.

There is much more. I personally think I've just avoided knowing the truth for years. I'm a bright guy. I write. I work hard doing IT work. But lately, each time I read a list of ADD symptoms, they all match up. It's something I've been ignoring. But now I think I am holding myself back in a big way. If I can manage this, I could do even so much more. The way I do things is hardly me "slacking." I had a crappy childhood, but I've always been motivated, and wanting to succeed. But I am very touchy to criticism. I like being accepted. And so many things just point to having this.

I am not a slacker. I am not lazy. I've worked since I was 15. I've served in the armed forces. And to have someone like you tell me it's "in my head" is aggravating. Just because they don't have a definitive cause, and because you personally don't have experience with it.. it doesn't exist? Perhaps you should open up and broaden your mind.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Seriously - - is there anything worse then ignorance.

I'm thrilled my daughter has gone on to have a normal life. She now drives one of those humongous trucks in a gold mine. Hey! It pays good.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I think you are slightly missing the point.

There is nothing wrong with you. someone writes up a list of behaviours meticulously thought through by health professionals at a certain level then filtered down to help sell a product!

So you see a list written by someone with medical credentials, and then they give these behavioural traits a label, a label that encompasses a large percent of individuals behaviours, then they tell you it's wrong to be this way, it's a disorder! (wrong or right from who's perspective? yours? theirs?) You have to think that if this involves money and large companies, you can bet their not thinking for your best interest but for their shareholder profile and share-return! Think about it.

Then they lead you to believing you need to take medication to fit into society's standard behavioural model because you fit "their" list. I have these traits too, that you describe, but that doesn't mean I've got a disorder! I'm not in pain, I'm not in dis-ease. You see if you think their is something wrong with you, then you are giving your power away to others who are doing the 'telling' - telling you that you have a problem.

Deep down, do you really feel there is something wrong with you? In your head you might think yes, but what is your heart telling you?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I feel for the millions of animals used by these doctors each year to test new medications on & then murdered.
I was diagnosed with ad-hd, put on dex-amphetamine and ended up hooked on speed.
thankfully 9 years clean now.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgo
I feel for the millions of animals used by these doctors each year to test new medications on & then murdered.
I was diagnosed with ad-hd, put on dex-amphetamine and ended up hooked on speed.
thankfully 9 years clean now.

Documentation - proof of animal testing?

Go for the heart strings? Is that it?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
"Imagine what the world must have been like for a schizophrenic." COME ON!!! Schizophrenia and ADHD aren't even in the same ball park. One of them is hyper and the other one is paranoid and poses a danger to themselves.

Yeah, totally different. One of them is hyper-active and the other is hyper-paranoid..
Both are related to malfunctioning of the brain's reward system.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

While I agree that WAY too many kids are being shoved into the ADD/ADHD corner for the slightest deviation from the prescribed norm, the condition DOES exist, and in such cases early treatment could probably make all the difference. I didn't find out until I was a teenager that I'd been diagnosed as hyperactive around age 4 or 5. I was generally considered quiet and shy, so this shocked me. I did well in school - above average, in fact - but had a tendency to rapidly jump from one thought to another and my mind was constantly in overdrive, even though I didn't know it was abnormal at the time. I liked being able to do multiple things at once without conflict, and I was always calm and focused when it came to reading my favorite books. On the other hand, I had terrible insomnia (probably in part because I couldn't stay in bed long enough to fall asleep), and trouble sitting or standing still - effects that genuinely bothered me, and not because of the reactions of others but because I understood they were beyond my control. I found ways around them though, counter-acts which evolved into a lifelong case of sideways swaying when standing, toe tapping when sitting, and crazy fidgeting in times of stress.

I was in my mid-20s when certain events led me to be diagnosed as bipolar (and later, the true horror, borderline), and during my more manic sessions when I would unwittingly explore the contents of my therapist's desk during otherwise "normal" sessions, she was the first of many to suspect adult ADHD. When I couldn't concentrate at work because my brain was constantly leaping from one thought to another, or I was in and out of my office because I simply couldn't bear to sit still for long, I was prescribed Ritalin. I hadn't expected much - especially since I was already on mostly ineffective mood stabilizers - so I was quite surprised when my work life stabilized. I quit taking it after a couple months because I've never been particularly compliant with meds, and since then I've lived on a roller coaster of self-medicating, seeking professional treatment, quitting for one reason or another... I can't hold down a job because I can't concentrate on any one thing for long enough, among other issues (eg social anxiety). Even in college I kept changing majors, and even colleges/unis. I know it's not all ADHD, but from my research and many therapy sessions I can usually distinguish it from actual (rapid-cycling) mania. ADHD exists, and when it's allowed to go untreated, as with any other psychiatric or psychological disorder, it's a slow but steady descent into hell.

Just my $0.02. Like I said, I do believe the diagnosis is abused far too much in today's society, with resulting addiction for the unwitting, but this fact does not automatically equate the absence of a genuine problem.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I've written on this topic a couple of times myself, and while I think it's true that ADD/ADHD are recognisable conditions, I also think it's true that society itself is so keen to put a label on every instance of what some see as "abnormal" behaviour that some conditions are being massively over-diagnosed.

I never thought I'd say this, but when it comes to psychiatry, scientologists might just have a point - a very small, badly thought out and presented point, but a point nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anthony1138
When i was in grade 2 i was diagnosed with ADD, i never really knew why i just didnt want to sit around all day doing work i already knew the answers too, reviews after reviews and even more reviews...i memorized the answers the FIRST time, when other students (who did not have ADD or ADHD) needed these reviews because they couldn't remeber a simple lesson.

Good thing you say so. I was bored out of my mind at school because I understood stuff the first time they were said. And then the teacher would repeat it again and again and again as if we were morons.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Pure sociopathy.

You see this same thing with "spiritually enlightened" guru's who are complete con-artists and often end up completely destroying the communities that support them. No empathy. Don't give into his lies. He feeds off our negative energy.

Sociopathy is a mental disorder. You are basically saying I am mentally ill for not conforming to your views.

Next thing we know you`ll want to administer drugs to "treat" me.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible
"It's not my/his/her fault. They have [insert convenient 3 or 4 letter acronym here]".
That is not an illness, it is an abdication of personal responsibility.

Denial of personal responsibility is hugely popular in these times.

"Its not my fault that I am Obese. It has nothing to do with all the soda and fast food I eat everyday. Its genetics. Science says so"

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NazcaP
An excellent book on this subject is The Hyperactivity Hoax (How to Stop Drugging Your Child and Find Real Medical Help), by Sydney Walker III MD, who is a prominent neurologist. It is Dr. Walker's contention that, in his experience, there is always a physical cause for the symptoms of ADHD, if the doctor takes the time to find it. Most doctors find it easier to use the ADHD diagnosis and put the child on Ritalin or a related drug. It's easier for the doctor, but ill-serves the child.

Its laziness on all sides. Parents, Teachers, Doctors get tired and exhausted of the child constantly behaving in a way that demands attention so they form a kind of agreement that its the best thing to drug the kid.

I have noticed the disturbing trend of articles about ADHD on major MSM sites, with adverts for the prescription drugs on the same page. I surmise that these articles, as well as the ads, come straight from Big Pharma. Now they are targeting adults, as well.

The aggressive marketing of pharmaceutical substances is part of the overall problem.

I dont mind a few pills making peoples lives easier. But if you're really going to market the stuff hardcore you almost have to create a problem in order to sell your stuff.

Its classic problem-reaction-solution.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
It requires the usage of hard psychotropic drugs which influence the seratonin levels in the brain. By the way, shouldn't it be an exact science if we are going to prescribe drugs that permanently manipulate brain chemistry?

Good point, well worth re-quoting here.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
ATS Team:

Here is a thread from the Breaking News Forum that you might find interesting.....

ADHD Could Be Misdiagnosed In Nearly I Million Kids Say Researchers

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
can you prove they do exist, unfortunatly ADHD is a concocted disease for simple hyperactivity, these are the same people that put mercury in your vaccines, are you really going to trust them!!

no medication is needed for an over hyper kid, thats a copout, good parentign is needed!

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd
Skyfloating can now join Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carey, Tom Cruise, Casper Schmidt, Harvey Bialy, and Ernst Nolte as a vociferous denier of reality based living. Hopefully, the readers of this thread will reject his "hunch"-based rant as the unresearched, unsupportable dangerous diatribe against people with an objectively diagnosed condition it is.

I didnt know so many famous people agree with me.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
So, you are dismissing that my life is better with ritalin. You will never win with people like you because you think you are always right, and everyone else is wrong.

YOUR life may be better with Ritalin. But dont go so far as to advertise it as THE Key to a Life of Happiness

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

It is well know that children can grow out of it

You can grow out of it by Nature - without counseling and drugs. That kind of puts to question whether it was ever a disorder in the first place.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join