It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Actually the topic is ADHD does not exist.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern associated with distress or disability that occurs in an individual and is not a part of normal development or culture.
Wiki

1 obsolete a : wickedness b : unpleasantness 2 a : an unhealthy condition of body or mind b : sickness 2
Webster: Illness

1 : to disturb the order of 2 : to disturb the regular or normal functions of
Webster: Disease

It fits both descriptions. People just seem to have negative feelings towards the more seemingly harsh label of illness or disease. Does it not cause ill to the person afflicted or those who must care for the afflicted? Does it not cause dis ease to the afflicted or those who must care for the afflicted?

[edit on 22-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

The fact that they are stimulants should be proof enough that ADHD is real. In a person who doesn't suffer from ADHD these drugs get a boost in energy as well as increase alertness, which is why they are so common on college campuses, as they allow a person to stay up all night with increased focus studying. In someone who suffers from ADHD however, they in a sense overload the brain, thus causing a decrease in energy, while still bestowing the increase in focus.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

You are welcome. That is why this is a wonderful thread, people are learning something!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I fits both descriptions. People just seem to have negative feelings towards the more seemingly harsh label of illness or disease.

OK - - I do not have a problem with the official description.

I just don't see Illness and Dysfunction as being the same thing.

I guess I would consider a chemical or immature growth in the brain a Dysfunction.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well Sky, actually, your smug condescending response is exactly why I will not be posting again to ATS. I am a Therapist, I work with teenagers addicted to mood altering chemicals, I do not prescribe medication, but I do see teenagers who self medicate their untreated ADHD with drugs like marijuana, and others. Your insulting reply to my post demonstrated a hostile agenda where anyone who disagrees with you is small minded, and a shill for the pharmaceutical industry.
The actual percentages of real ADHD are low, approximately 3-5%, as posted by another ATS member who has taken time to do a simple google search to discuss facts, instead of opinions.
We know ADHD is real, and it responds to medication when dosed appropriately. However, as with many medications today, they are not dosed properly. Also, ADHD is treated effectively with behavioral therapy treatments as well. A broad based treatment of medication, school supports, parental education, and recognition that the condition is biological in nature, and not a "mental illness" is important.
Your type of thinking is why so many suffer with a broad range of mental disorders out of fear and shame that others who do not have the condition will react as you do... With derisive dismissal, a shape up or ship out attitude. I love to discuss issues, but after reading your post full of assumptions, accusations, and very poorly educated opinions, I was truly dissapointed. I doubt I will participate in further discussions on ATS if this is what I can expect in the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ok, I'm convinced that ADHD/ADD doesn't exist but something beside childhood exuberance is causing some of these children to bang their head against the wall, intentionally hurt themselves, sing or speak with no break but constant noise, pound on anything with a stick until their hands bleed, torture and abuse their pets, never acknowledge any kind of authority, never play in a cooperative setting with other children, only happy when they are given candy, etc.

I know.... they are possesed by demons, evil spirits or the devil. They aren't mentally ill!

We need exorcisms and voodoo rituals rather than those dumb ass health professionals getting involved.

hyperbole, sarcasm and personal attacks make for a potent cocktail doesn't it? That's where this thread has gone. So be it!

ADHD doesn't exist. Are you happy now?

[edit on 22-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Exactly! We can measure the changes, and see what happens when a person who truly has ADHD takes these stimulant based medications, at correct levels. They can concentrate, focus, and do very well. Abuse of any medication, intentional or not, will have negative results.

Well thought out response.

Rod in Oregon

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"Ok, I'm convinced that ADHD/ADD doesn't exist but something beside childhood exuberance is causing some of these children to bang their head against the wall, intentionally hurt themselves, sing or speak with no break but constant noise, pound on anything with a stick until their hands bleed, torture and abuse their pets, never acknowledge any kind of authority, etc.

I know they are possesed by demons or the devil. They aren't mentally ill!

We need exorcisms and voodoo rituals rather than those dumb ass health professionals getting involved.

hyperbole, sarcasm and personal attacks make for a potent cocktail doesn't it. That's where this thread has gone. So be it!

ADHD doesn't exist. Are you happy now?"

Yes, and we will also include trephoning to release the evil spirits from the mind... Done by drilling a hole in the persons head so the evil spirit can get out of the person. Just deny something is real, and it will go away... Tell that to kids with Autism, mental retardation, depression, whatever you want to deny.
Cool post!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I actually have the same energy level as always. I just use my mind to control my body. If my youngest is around though it can be almost impossible though as one feeds off of that energy.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by unityemissions

I fits both descriptions. People just seem to have negative feelings towards the more seemingly harsh label of illness or disease.

OK - - I do not have a problem with the official description.

I just don't see Illness and Dysfunction as being the same thing.

I guess I would consider a chemical or immature growth in the brain a Dysfunction.

That's exactly what has been shown to be the case in studies. Immature growth of specific regions of the brain, and biochemical abnormalities.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just gonna Post this and im done for the night.

This thing ADD / ADHD is a wonderful condition but some how it does not fit in our society anymore...

I have it and have struggled with it for a long time, along with my twin brother.. Alot of energy all the time, and a mind that is in full motion with feelings that are kinda hard to explain in words.. along with the day you are born in and the name you are given is a thing that should be counted for, how you are and how you cope with the World, and how you understand it and what you want from it..

I mean personally that they treat that condition in a horrible way, and should be done in a matter that suits everyone, so atleast the parents understand and even you understand, who you are what you are.. and how you could use your explosive energy in a good way.

Why people with this condition needs to be drugged blows my mind.. it feels like some of us beside the majority without this energy boost needs to be at a other type school that does not exist yet... but pills and medication exist as a answer to this matter hurts me, just shows how far we have gone to try to be as everyone else or the like the NORM, i could be wrong on that one, it could mean someone knows who we really are, with this condition. dunno feels like my head are trying to take me on this conspiracy road right now... or we all could just be mistaken by this and looking at it in a wrong way, arguing which treatment is the correct one, or how the medication helped them, dont get me wrong if its some treatment out there that helped people to gather up their thinking in a orderly matter... GOOD for them

I wish i got the help i needed when i was in the school, was always looking outside the window, wandering my mind off someplace else... could not understand half my teachers told us, always something else in my mind, thinking about stuff i could not put in words back then.. my mom got us to wait a extra year traveling the world, before sending her sons to school... something about our Twin Language went trough the roof... i mean we just talked to each other all the time, in our language.. was kinda hard learning a new language at age six

I wish just some out there created something for us with this special mind and thinking.

I wished that we knew what we are capable with our condition, Disorder, decease, or whatever it is.. i think its like a gift given to us few.. but somehow it still does not FIT in at all..

Most of us have a hard time going through the official schools.. guess the majority has the saying what is the normal teaching, its so few of us and we have nothing to say right? it sure feels like that...

Sitting through class for hours... !?!? im like give us something practical stuff to do... let me create something... no i need to get good grades for years and being obedient for years.. before i can apply to a job after several years with the same teaching like everyone else, alot is good to hav with you.. but alot isnt.
And the choices you have when you are ready to learn a specific job is slim.. seems like more like a building team we are creating of our children.

You have to be lucky in this world to find something that fits you, atleast that is what i feel trying to live trough this life with this condition.

Alot friends doing alot other stuff in their life, like destructive stuff after their medication kinda screwed up their head.. cause of abuse and other experimental stuff.. could be avoided if the teachers just got them out trying to find something they could wrap their mind around.. not sitting in a room every other day.. dictatorship...

Those who have ADHD / ADD are not sick in any form, but just misunderstood.. please understand that, its just the system that have gone to far...

Help them in the right way and try not to "Fix" it like how its done now these days.

Alot of Errors and spelling and Grammar shiz.. my mistake.. never learned that properly.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Greetings to all

I can see and agree with a lot of what the OP says, all apart from the main title of the thread itself really! ADD/ADHD exist in the sense that they are in a book and are now classified disorders..i'm not a psychologist, a laymens interest in it over a number of years, but its just my opinion that its a label given to most children who are unable to concentrate on certain tasks, unable to sit down for any length of time, and have little to no attention spans, and a whole list of behavioural issues most of the time.. so they are perscribed strong meds at early stages of a childs life, in some cases in copious amounts of those medications, for instance- Dexidrine: www.rxlist.com...
was given to ADD children for years before it became an extremely controlled substance with few perscriptions given out these days, because of it being highly addictive and dangerous, that was before the kids got older and realized eating more of them than perscribed got them off their heads stoned (ie speeding in this case)
Personally, of the kids I have known over the years, who are now grown up i have not seen where these methods of 'taming the wild child inside' has helped anything..perhaps I just know all the wrong people, which knowing myself is possible lol, but seriously, I have always put this 'disorder' down to lack of parenting ( I also see those kids without a father figure often become very difficult to control (not control as much as just having respect and discipline instilled in them -not all, but looking around me, and knowing in other areas of the world, there are far too many in this situation), our terrible indoctrin...sorry education system, and I also agree with the posts here about food additives, the difference in my household when they were cut out of our day to day food items, was abundantly clear, like a whole mood and a fog both lifted..
The youth in this world need more role models than skanky popstars and football players, they need discipline and patience, they need to play and move and interact socially (like it or not, kids need to learn how to act in social situations) they need to be able to express themselves freely without a fear of instant ridicule, they need to know being different is a good thing, and that being ones own self is far better than trying to be generic and something they arent..The list is endless, not one or two problems cause this label to be placed so often on the young, but innumerable linking ones..

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
apologies, re-post

[edit on 22-8-2010 by corruptedtesssa]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Ahem...when you give kids drugs and all they do is sit around because of the lack of motivation, they are not burning energy. Therefore, whatever they eat, despite the fact that "loss of appetite" is a side-effect, it sits and doesn't burn away like it should. Doesn't take much to do addition.

Secondly, most anti-depressants main side-effect is DEPRESSION. And no, I'm not linking ritalin with anti-depressants, I am making a point, so, I hope that this doesn't confuse you. So, just because the medication's side effects are "loss of appetite," doesn't mean that they stop eating. RIGHT??? Otherwise we would have a bunch of dead or starving children. Whew. I thought that this would be a no-brainer, but,...nevermind.

Evidently I have over-estimated people's abilities to connect the dots around here.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychoX42

Spoken like a true Scientologist. L. Ron Hubbard and Tom Cruise will be proud of you! Bravo!

/Q

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I apologise for upsetting people with my comments, but I've noticed a link over the years and it upsets me. I have a lot of friends with ADD or ADHD kids and I noticed that there seems to be a trend with parents that think its ok to give an infant choc milk or lemonade in it's baby bottle. I see three yr olds drinking powerade and Red Bull.......and you wonder why kids are going nuts?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wickedwenchlet
I see three yr olds drinking powerade and Red Bull.

That's horrifying. There's so much that poor diet causes, that is ignored. Why is that? It can't be only that it's more profitable to treat side effects with pills, than to address underlaying causes. It goes to something deeper in society's psychology, in my opinion - an aversion to body/mind holism, perhaps.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

The people have been systematically demoralized, by the KGB infiltration into various sects of society : government, eduction, community, etc.. to corporate subliminal programming. Once the people are demoralized they can't tell right from wrong AND truth from fallacy. This has led to the complete erosion of common sense, which is now far from common. There's also something to be said about the elite's agenda at dumbing down the people, and how it may tie into the roots behind everything mentioned above.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Ahem...when you give kids drugs and all they do is sit around because of the lack of motivation, they are not burning energy. Therefore, whatever they eat, despite the fact that "loss of appetite" is a side-effect, it sits and doesn't burn away like it should. Doesn't take much to do addition.

Secondly, most anti-depressants main side-effect is DEPRESSION. And no, I'm not linking ritalin with anti-depressants, I am making a point, so, I hope that this doesn't confuse you. So, just because the medication's side effects are "loss of appetite," doesn't mean that they stop eating. RIGHT??? Otherwise we would have a bunch of dead or starving children. Whew. I thought that this would be a no-brainer, but,...nevermind.

Evidently I have over-estimated people's abilities to connect the dots around here.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by PsychoX42]
So bringing up antidepressives is an admitted straw man? What does anti depressive medication have to do with kids using adhd medications which are stimulants?

I have yet to see a properly dosed child turn into this mythical zombie you speak of. None of the kids I ever knew were grossly obese on these meds, they still had the drive to play sports and do other things normal kids do.

But thank you for the implied cut down to my intelligence, it really makes you stand out among the great debaters we have here at ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join