It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Originally posted by Dock9

And why did parents leap on ADHD as if it were their get-out-of-jail-free card ?

Because an excuse was much easier than having to deal with their children.

at least in some cases IMO...

And easier than having to deal with their failings as parents and possible flaws in their own or their partner's genetics

as well as giving them leave to discount their own and partner's substance-abuse prior to conceiving the child in many instances

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Don't you find it curious

that before ADHD was 'invented', along with its chemical 'cure

there weren't all these people claiming they or their children 'have ADHD' ?

Ritalin was invented in the mid-40's.
ADD was recognized as such in the late-60's.
So your claim that ADD was invented along with a cure is wrong.

Are you actually arguing that people weren't talking about ADHD, before the term was created?
Of course they weren't, because the term hadn't been "invented" yet. As you put it.

You wanna know what I find curious?
Why you think you are qualified to debunk ADD.

You yourself just displayed a tremendous amount of ignorance concerning the invention of Ritalin and the identification of ADD.

Did you think you were right?
Or did you think you could lie and get away with it?

That's what I find curious.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

And why did parents leap on ADHD as if it were their get-out-of-jail-free card ?

Because an excuse was much easier than having to deal with their children.

at least in some cases IMO...

And easier than having to deal with their failings as parents and possible flaws in their own or their partner's genetics

as well as giving them leave to discount their own and partner's substance-abuse prior to conceiving the child in many instances

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

You're asking for answers, and have yet to give one.

You want skyfloating to try again when your case has been absolutely null and void since you started posting.

Until you can provide adequate PROOF of the existence of ADHD by providing scientific evidence, then your argument remains hollow and without merit. As it is...and its sad I have to repeat this over and over...

"Until there are adequate testing procedures that definitely prove in the existence of ADHD, there should be no treatments or cures provided because it is all speculation and up to the MOOD of the psychiatrist determining whether it exists in a child or not. This is not a good enough excuse for me to put a child on drugs that will permanently alter their brain chemistry."

Need I remind you, that psychiatrists, as well as other MD's make a percentage of money with every diagnosis and every prescription of psychotropic drugs from the pharmaceutical companies. Consequently, the numbers of kids diagnosed with ADD and ADHD has risen to unbelievable percentages. Someone is getting paid, and the children are getting the shaft.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicodin
reply to post by Jay-morris

Yes.

Is that all you can say? Can't you say anything else to redeem yourself on this thread. I doubt it because all you want to do is annoy and p*ss off people.

Please tell me how you came to yes, i would really like to know. But i am guessing you wrote yes because basically, you had no real answer.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byteman

Don't you find it curious

that before ADHD was 'invented', along with its chemical 'cure

there weren't all these people claiming they or their children 'have ADHD' ?

Ritalin was invented in the mid-40's.
ADD was recognized as such in the late-60's.
So your claim that ADD was invented along with a cure is wrong.

Are you actually arguing that people weren't talking about ADHD, before the term was created?
Of course they weren't, because the term hadn't been "invented" yet. As you put it.

You wanna know what I find curious?
Why you think you are qualified to debunk ADD.

You yourself just displayed a tremendous amount of ignorance concerning the invention of Ritalin and the identification of ADD.

Did you think you were right?
Or did you think you could lie and get away with it?

That's what I find curious.

I'll ignore your non too subtle personal attacks

because I know that when their syndrom/condition/disease is being debunked or taken away from them

many people who rely on that syndrome/condition/disease --- who are propped up by it -- who define themselves via it

can lose all reason

They feel threatened to their very core

They regard the loss of their syndrome/condition/disease as a physical attack

so they attack back -- crazily -- irrationally

For them, it's literally a fight to the death

For if something threatens to strip away their syndrome/condition/disease

... it means they have to face the world and themselves without their excuse

... it means they're seen to be just like anyone else

... it takes away the 'specialness' mantle that obviously means so much to them

and so on

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
reply to post by Annee

Interesting...so, how do you get a diagnosis if there isn't any testing that adequately diagnoses the problem?

ADD and ADHD lack the proper tests and procedures to adequately diagnose ANYTHING. With this in mind, it is up to the psychiatrist to make this determination without ANY basis to make the determination from.

Until they have adequate tests put in place to make this assessment, they shouldn't be prescribing anyone ANYTHING...period.

How many times do I have to say ADD/ADHD is an umbrella label?

My daughter went through a full week of tests and psychological evaluation.

If you had ever personally been involved with a true ADD kid - - you would know the difference between that and just a very hyperactive kid.

There is no single test like a blood test - - because there is no single cause or single behavior.

My daughter was ADD - - but she did not have a behavior problem. Actually - she was the opposite trying to do things that pleased the teacher.

She was also not Dyslexic or have allergies. She was tested for both of those.

She was unable to hold focus - - even on a One to One. She required physical signals to hold focus. One teacher would sit across the table from her - - hold her hands and squeeze them whenever she lost focus.

She excelled in puzzles. Something Autistic children also do.

Today there is a lot more focus on scientific research in how the brain functions - - and differences in brain scans.

Ignorant people interfere with funding and education for children who really need it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42

Until you can provide adequate PROOF of the existence of ADHD by providing scientific evidence, then your argument remains hollow and without merit. As it is...and its sad I have to repeat this over and over...

The problem is that Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, ADHD, cannot be proven as of yet in many cases, but they do exist.

As far as ADHD goes, I believe that it exists, is due to toxins in the body, but is also diagnosed way way too often without enough testing. It seems to me like a child who is abnormal in any way, is often diagnosed with it just because the doctors don't know what else to do.

While a percentage are helped by medication, I feel like there are many many more that are being damaged. Solution? I just don't know, perhaps a better screening process for the whole thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rrobbins
As a practicing Therapist for 15 years, specializing in working with adolescent clients, I am shocked that this type of thread is still debated. Similar debates took place over depression, in the past, with many not understanding the actual neuro physiology involved in the disorder.

In my mind Depression is still under Debate.

This thread is actually quite irresponsible.

Actually 90% of the posts go into Detail of how ADHD exists. Im sure readers looking to be informed can form their own Decions based on that.

to state something is not real, when a simple google search will reveal the overwhelming clinical data that shows it is real, is not helpful.

Google is no measure of truth but of how widely something is discussed or how widely it has been marketed.

Remember, an opinion that is not based on empiracle evidence when discussing psychogology or physiology, is simply an opinion with little merit. In the middle ages, medical opinion believed that bloodletting and trephoning were effective treatments.

The purpose of the thread title is to get Discussion going over a topic I think is very serious. From personal experience I wholeheartedly disagree with ALL of the ADHD diagnoses Ive personally seen. Im sure they are out there, but I have yet to see them.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It's funny how I posted scientific evidence stating that the certain parts of the brain are smaller in children with ADHD (confirming that it's a real disorder) yet people are still arguing about it. I seriously think people just NEED to see a conspiracy when there really is none.

YES, ADHD is over diagnosed! We all know that...BUT there is proof that it does in fact exist. Certain regions of the brain are different (smaller) in children with the disorder.

The amygdala (a part of the brain) sends out impulses...and if the region that's supposed regulate these impulses (such as the prefrontal cortex) is ABNORMAL, THEN THESE IMPULSES CAN'T BE CONTROLLED.

WHICH MEANS THE SYMPTOMS OF ADHD (HYPERACTIVITY AND IMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR) IS CAUSED BY AN ABNORMALITY (OR POSSIBLE LATE DEVELOPMENT) OF THE BRAIN.

Look at a few scientific journals...read a few books, and DENY IGNORANCE.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

Why don't you actually respond to my post, point for point?

Why don't you address the fact that you put words in my mouth, because that's the only way you could arrange for your own ignorant comments?

Why don't you address the fact that you exaggerated everything I said, pursuant to the same goal?

Why not address the fact that you think you know better than the thousands of doctors who went to school, and declared ADD real?

Instead of sidestepping all of these issues like a coward would.

Originally posted by Grossac
I am qualified enough to make you respond to my post. A big response at that.

What's the purpose of saying this?
You want to act like you have some kind of manipulation powers.
How mature.

Guess what?
You lie about what someone says, put words in their mouth, and call someone brainwashed, they are probably going to respond back.

Get over yourself kid, you don't have any magical powers. Unless you count thinking your better than others.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grossac
reply to post by Jay-morris

I am happy for you and I mean that.. Do you think that if you stopped taking those pills now, you would return to your old way? Again, I dont want to be a prick, but there is ALWAYS another way.. Ying, Yang. Alfa, Omega, +,-. This life is not ment to be easy.. From difficulties we awaken from the mundane.. I hope all is well and want nothing but the best for all.

Yes, i have tried. Because you will always get to a point when you think you are ok now, and you don't need them. I have tried to come off them twice, and slowly the symtoms come back. Its hard when you suffer with ADD like i do, and you don't take any medication.

I wish people could see in side my head, and truely see what ADD is all about. But i have done so much since i started taking medication. Travelled the world, got a job in web design, artist. Even my wife can notice the difference when i was not on medication.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

That's a really long-winded way of admitting you were wrong about ADD and Ritalin being invented at the same time.

Oh wait, you didn't admit anything. Just a false accusation about a personal attack, and a whole lot of irrelevant gibberish.

Well, anyways. I'll say it again.

Ritalin was invented in the mid-40's, ADD was identified as such in the late-60's. You were wrong about them being invented together.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

My nephew was a normal kid who just couldn't get out of the "cycle" created for him by others from an early age.
Another sister is a special needs educator in Fla and schools there receive "assistance and funding" dependent on how many ADHD kids are in a class...see the problem?
I think in many cases it's the system that needs to be medicated.

Interesting to see some financial gain involved in labeling kids ADHD.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Heavens forbid a healthcare facility, or healthcare workers actually ask to be paid for their efforts.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adillin2012
It's funny how I posted scientific evidence stating that the certain parts of the brain are smaller in children with ADHD (confirming that it's a real disorder) yet people are still arguing about it.

Yes - Thank You Adillin

As long as they can find some research claim that opposes yours - - they must be right.

They don't care. They just want to blame it on lazy parenting or teachers.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
But you say 20 percent of the cases are not "curable" like that, cases of what, adhd?

Which your title postulates does not exist?

How can you proclaim to cure something that does not exist?

What I mean to say is that the OP does not say there is no such thing as suffering. As seen in this thread some really are suffering. As also seen in this thread (and in my real-life-experience), most are not. In the 20% of the cases where there is real suffering, counseling and medication may help. I have yet to see how the label "Mentally Ill" is helpful though.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
REMINDER!!!!!

Please remember to discuss the topic and not each other. It's easy to get sidetracked, but tends to get the thread off topic.

Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please know these can and will be removed and/or warned.

Mod Note: Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Here's some information about ADD and ADHD if one were to take the time to read it, they might educate themselves on some very real topics.

UK creates investigation into sudden increases in the diagnosis of ADD and ADHD.
www.naturalnews.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.pbs.org...
pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com...
www.sunjournal.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

So, until someone in here comes with some HARD EVIDENCE, the amount of medication going into our children has become ridiculous.

Not only are our children over medicated, but, we have the largest obesity rate amongst children in the entire industrialized world. If you ask me, one problem leads to the other really quick.

So, you don't want your children to be hyper. Well, lets drug them silly so that they sit around like zombies staring into a television set, and then feed them until they look like a wrecking ball. So lets see, our kids are on more drugs than any other industrialized nation, while consequently, we also have the heaviest kids in any industrialized nation.

Hmmm...I wonder if one has to do with the other???

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Great Book

www.davincimethod.com...

Peace.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join