It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What schools should really teach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
In school we are taught the most widely accepted theories, whether they be Mathematical, Historical or Scientific, the ones most widely accepted are the ones used. But doesn't this leave a huge blank spot for us? In science alone there are many competing theories that just have not been widely accepted. I won't go down a list, but I'm sure you can think of a few.

Is this a good idea or is it just too much for students to learn?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Aside from what schools should or should not teach,(and from whose perspective?!),what really matters is that children cultivate a desire to learn. That can be inspired by certain exceptional teachers,but I think ideally it should begin in the home.

If parents enjoy reading and doing new things,reading to and involving their children,it should follow that they will continue finding interests to pursue on their own.

It's a "lifetime" thing.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Oh wow this really is a huge can of worms of a topic.

Ideal would be if learning were deemed important by society in general. I'm talking a lot of exposure on TV, on the web, etc. Make it seep through society that learning makes you cool.

I don't know... instead of hot babes grinding on rappers' legs, have them dance for nerds in music videos. That would do it.

Other than that, I agree with On the Edge that parents do take some responsibility for the child and his education, but it's such a fine line since too much pressure will turn the kid off education as well.

My only other advice is to make school fun, have lots of field trips, ask lecturers from Universities to hold basic lectures about archeology or something physical that can spur the youth's imagination.

It's all about exposure for the kids, not only to books, numbers and stress, but to results that you can touch, see, smell, taste and hear.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
School was, and still is, the greatest barrier I have in teaching myself. I, like many on this board, am an autodidact. School was a distraction. This is why I do really good in subject I like..... because I already know the information having taught myself already.

I came across this graduation speech, written by a high school valedictorian.

LINK to VIDEO

The transcript is in that same link. I recommend getting through all of it. She rips a new one of the school system.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I Agree with Dinstarr....

What we need to do is find out what interests each child ...since each one has different likes/dislikes and different characteristics.

Once finding this out, have them focus specifically on their likes.

And this is a MUST ....... include contemplation, meditation, yoga, and more art, music, self expression.

To me, school was a prison. The only things I had respect for was kindergarten and college. (I say college primarily for opening me up to critical thinking in the fields of religion and philosophy)

....and have spent the last 10 years studying on my own specifically religions(theology), philosophy, psychology, and meditation.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Wow DINSTAAR, that is why I see you as one of the few highly enlightened voices here on ATS. A true voice of reason.

After I looked up what the term meant I was humbled and surprised that I am exactly the definition of that word. I was lucky enough to be homeschooled via virtual school and continue on into virtual college, why? Because I could not stand being taught, I have to teach myself. In schooling you have such an established learning curriculum that does not permit flexibility for individual need and ideas.

I admit that I spend the overwhelming amount of my time doing random research into fields of my own personal interest, I don't play online games or chat with friends through social networks, I spend my time researching. College is just what I have to do to actually have a good job. I will only have a job because of the social standards established within our society.

I want to be an author or do something that is good for me, not live in some stupid suburb going to work in my mini-van at some stupid office job inside a cubical obeying the orders of some ignorant hierarchy who only got there by being the most obedient worker.

I, like most of us, just want to express our true selves. I believe ATS has given me the motivation to do what I really want to do, it has helped me in teaching myself the things that are important. School is merely an established social barrier to enlightenment and true education.

new topics

top topics

join