It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Town Wants To Outlaw Eye-Rolling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Link to article

Elmhurst officials are considering creating a "disturbance and disorderly conduct" violation after a resident accused of rolling her eyes and sighing was ejected from a public meeting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think whatever members of this city council are encouraging eye-rolling to become illegal should be outed from their position, and barred from serving in any political office for 15 years.

Is this a case of eye for an eye? ;D Good grief. Why would these people, who obviously have no regard for the US constitution, even be in a position of power in the first place? I am simply astounded.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Everyone knows that eye-rolling is a stepping stone crime on the way to

[edit on 21 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Made me roll my eyes, so where do I pay my fine?

Wow, I think that this could really be a revenue builder. Let's get this to the federal government and tell 'em we've found an answer to the economic crisis...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Good Lawd.

If my wife was the ticketing "officer" she'd meet her monthly quota by the 1st of Every.

Some people's kids, I swear.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
i think i'll move to illinois and open up a model train shop.
sounds like there's a few people looking for something to do.
pathetic.

or unfathomably progressive.

i'm leaning towards pathetic.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I heard of some stupid ideas proposed by politicians but this one... well, this one takes the cake! And to the mouth-breathers that elected these folks to their positions...

Where do I pay my fine?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
my mom hates it when i role my eyes, even now after 30 years.....

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
So silly. It's a free speech issue, anyway, and can in no way be constitutional. It's limiting the freedom of expression if they pass such a law.

What other expressions could be outlawed if eye-rolling is made illegal? Laughing, shrugging, smiling, frowning (don't want any pouty people in town, brings down the mood in society and affects quality of life for everybody...).

Amazing one should have to apply a 1st Amendment argument to such a ridiculous notion as this, but that is ultimately what it comes down to.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by againuntodust

Everyone knows that eye-rolling is a stepping stone crime on the way to

[edit on 21 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

Yes, and they should be shot or at least chipped.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's just pathetic.

I mean... sure sometimes the eye roll can be immensely annoying but that's the same as going:

"OK, listen up everyone! We are now outlawing the right for you to use sarcasm during our meetings. You may also only use a very polite and happy tone when disagreeing with any ideas we put up for discussion."

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I can't say that I'm not surprised no one has been an advocate for allowing the eye roll to be illegal!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
why worry about us in illinois and what we do?

(rolls eyes)

there are far more important stupid laws to notice.

like it being illegal to hunt whales... in oklahoma, a land locked state.

who is going to live long enough to learn all the laws anyways?
how many laws are there? (rolls eyes)

does anyone here honestly think if we locked the supreme court justices in a big plush hotel (with everything they need) and all the pens and paper they needed, and did not let them out until they wrote word for word all the existing laws down from memory, that they would get the job done before they died?

yet, it is the law that new borns grow up and conform to the mandatory expectations (laws) that society demands of them (by law). (rolls eyes)

how many laws would i have to conform to in order to live in the house next to you?

number of laws? no one knows.

solution? pay taxes to pay for more lawmakers, so they can make more laws! (rolls eyes)

great plan. let's see where it takes us.

(rolls eyes)

i live in Illinois. (rolls eyes)

society, are you on my side?

good topic for a thread,
et

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This is moronic.

Rolling your eyes and sighing can be an instinctual reaction for people. It would be like outlawing burping in public because it might be deemed offensive. Sometimes you just can't help it.

I know whenever I here something incredibly stupid (such as a city official suggesting to outlaw eye-rolling) I tend to roll my eyes. It's not something I am intentionally doing, it's just a natural response to something that's not even worth expelling breath over.

I really don't understand the push towards draconian legislation that seems to be happening in this country. At least this incident is isolated to one town and one less-than-stellar city council.

Good grief.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I read the title and than heard my dad's voice in my head from back in the day:

"stop rolling your eyes at me!"

Lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Haha I guess she was really good at it and really getting to them, eh? Man, I'd be in really really really big trouble if they outlawed it here
Thanks for the silly story.

new topics

top topics

join