It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N-Word. No place in today's society.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Here is some proof!

[edit on 22-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Lol yeah underground is where its at. Very few people in the projects buy music, they download it and pass it around. But the topics in most of their raps doesn't change, the underground still talk about the same things.

The N-word was actually part of my every day vocabulary (i still regret it), i have African roots. One thing i noticed was that majority of the people using the N-word, were using similar words on other races (Caucasians, Asians) and that seemed OK to them until someone who wasn't black dropped the N-bomb on them. Its like a cry for help, they segregate themselves (I'm not talking about every black people, just the uneducated, don't give a s*** I'll live on welfare type) from society, then end up complaining saying they aren't accepted. When they use the world as much as the word 'I', then surely they can expect everyone to start using it on them. That's the problem i wanna call myself an idiot but when someone else calls me that i get offended?. People need to wake up and stop dreaming and READ READ READ, forget about the TV once in a while. I'm not a racist in fact i love all races, I'm mixed race and I have lived in Africa for a good number of years. If you could only go down there and see what the new generations are like, 4 words, DUMB, WEEZY, SKINNY JEANS!

Hope this post does not offend anyone. Dmnit i hate TV and all the garbage they broadcast.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Say what you want in your home where nobody can hear you. Shut your damn mouth whence you walk out your door, and apply that same restraint to your keyboard whilst posting.

If you are ever in a quandry about how to address someone, try this simple formula: if male person then sir or mister, if female person then maam or miss, if child then young man or young lady.

Being polite is one of those things that pays it forward.

Stop all the dumb and pointless threads about race. They never go anywhere but downhill.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Co-signed. That was perfectly said. It's funny the only people who have ever called me racist were White people, and I am White!
Black people may not always like what I say, but deep down they seem to aknowledge it has true.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

positive vibe... actually singing as well... not bad...

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I don't see what's wrong with black people calling each other nigga, words change after time and in this case a negative word has changed for the better as a term of endearment. I'm sure in the future this won't even be an issue, it's hardly an issue now except for a few people who feel that words should be censored for no other reason than they don't like or understand it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

no offense at all... in fact very informative

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by King_John

I understand what your saying, but true strength would not be using a derogatory word used against you and make it one of admiration for yourself. True strength would be to rise above that word and work towards making those who use it against you, respect you for your strength to not let it affect you.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
reply to post by Sumdumguy

No, you are sadly mistaken. The word Negroid was the term that was already used to describe their heritage, and the word 'n-word' was created and used by slave owners in the 1800's as a derogatory slang for the word Negroid. Do your research before you comment brother.

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Aug 21 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

Research? Like actually researching the etymology of the word?

1786, earlier neger (1568, Scottish and northern England dialect), from Fr. nègre, from Sp. negro (see Negro). From the earliest usage it was "the term that carries with it all the obloquy and contempt and rejection which whites have inflicted on blacks" [cited in Gowers, 1965]. But as black inferiority was at one time a near universal assumption in English-speaking lands, the word in some cases could be used without deliberate insult

It was a generic term given the general consensus at the time that black people were inferior. It became used as a deliberate insult over time.

As for the OP. Well, banning words, removing words by law is the same as imprisoning people for thinking.

ATS can define what they wish in terms of what they choose to censor. It is the same as going into someone's house and talking in a manner they disapprove of - respect their rules.

But in the common usage of society? Nah..

[edit on 22/8/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

See I disagree, I think making something good out of something bad is much more effective than simply ignoring it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh right, because it's OK if you're only a little bit racist.

It's those big mean old racists that need attention.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I don't see what your point is? Negro means Black. And Negroid was what western Africans were described as. Just as Western Europeans were described as Caucasians. The 'N-word' was a derogatory slang made up by Whites for the word Negroid. What about that does your 'research' say otherwise?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Point well taken. I just don't think it is that simple. Do you think Asians should refer to each other as 'C-words'? Or Hispanics refer to themselves as 'Wetb#cks'? or should non-socially excepted good looking people refer to each other as ugly?

ps. I don't mean ignore it. I said rise above it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

If they wanted to I don't see why not. Look at the word Yankee, it was used as a derogatory term by the British and later Southern state against Northern states, but now it's not really an insult and most Americans wouldn't be offended to be called a Yankee, not mention it being the name of the most popular MLB team in the world. So that right there shows that over time words that were once derogatory can change and have a positive meaning.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
I don't see what your point is? Negro means Black.

Just came to my mind that Flip Wilson joke when he pulls up his pant leg to expose his knee and says, You wanna see my knee grow?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Your example of the term Yankee is a very good one indeed and I don't know the history behind it to make an argument. I would ask you, why do you think those Native Americans, Asians and Hispanics, who all have met the hand of White oppression,not use those words? And why do we only see impoverished and under educated Blacks using this term? Why not the upper class educated Blacks?

reply to post by soleprobe

What!?
I don't get it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The problem with the N Word is that it's used to excess, it's an offensive word if one race uses it, if another race uses it it's not supposed to be offensive. Which in my opinion is Bull [snip].

If anyone has ever watched the Boondocks cartoon, they will understand it's use in cultural lexicon.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I SAID I was a white person in my post. Did you not read it?

And I edited my post because the size did not format properly so I just gave up and bolded the sentence. PLEASE read the post before you comment on it. It makes you look very ignorant.

[edit on 8/22/2010 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I don't really know many Asian or Native American people for me to speak on behalf of their culture,although a few of the younger Asian guys I do know who are into the urban culture do refer to each other as chinkstas from time to time. As for Hispanics not calling each other wetbacks, it stems from the meaning of the word. Wetbacks is used to refer to an illegal immigrant crossing the river to get to America, most Hispanic people I know are legal born US citizens so the word simply wouldn't apply to them the same way the word nigga would apply to blacks.

As far as only ghetto or uneducated black people using the word I find it's more of a social issue, there are many words besides nigga that people from the ghetto use that people from the suburbs don't it's simply a different slang. For the black people that do make it out of the slums to achieve a high paying job not using it, I think it's simply that there coworkers are more than likely white or if not white not from the ghetto to where they would feel uncomfortable or out of place using that term around them.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
First, let me whole heartedly apologize for having offended you.

mnmcandiez,
i, esoteric teacher do hereby formally apologize for having offended you.
my quote was not an attack on you, your race, your gender, your national origins, your character, or you in any way. it was not intended as such.

please, enjoy...

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I SAID I was a white person in my post. Did you not read it?

i read and absorbed your entire post, yes.

And I edited my post because the size did not format properly so I just gave up and bolded the sentence. PLEASE read the post before you comment on it. It makes you look very ignorant.

the contribution i made was not a personal attack upon you or your character, but it was merely my refusal to pass up an oportunity to share some humor and lighten the mood a little. Me looking ignorant? it can happen occasionally, but let's keep that between you and me, ok?
our little secret.

but honestly, how could i pass up the opportunity to do this?:

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

[edit on 8/21/2010 by mnmcandiez]

how does one tell if it is a white person posting in a thread concerning "The N-Word"?

there are subtle hints.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by a white person]

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

that is just classic humor!

not an attack on you, not at all. it was simply social commentary and subconsciously or not, a reflection of what is or is not percieved as acceptable to some. not an attack on you at all. please do not take that quote personal. it was not authored with ill intent.

if i was on the offensive i would have attacked you with cause, and your post offered no cause for attack, it was sincere and honest about how you feel and representative of how you think about this issue. and i can respect that. my post? humorous social commentary, nothing more.

keep ATS fun,
et

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join