It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N-Word. No place in today's society.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I dont think that will ever happen. For the simple reason that humans have the need to differentiate between one another and the easiest way is based on color, race, sexual orientation, etc...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I can respect someones feelings and not use the word.

However this has to be a two way street don't you think ?

Like the word retard. With ScepticOverLord and a few others it was subject of debate a while ago. ATS does not think it is a bad word but in my country retard is used to make someone feel bad or to make others understand that the one you talk about is a worthless bum.

So both words are only a regional bad word. Why is it that I'm told not to use one where it has no meaning to me whatsoever, but one that does I'm forced to simply live with it.

This is no complaint, but it is true. I use it now as an example.

Edit to add.

Just to make myself clear. I'm against prohibiting words, yet I'm for civility.

[edit on 8/21/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If anyone here watched the cartoon The Boondocks they might agree with me that the word nowadays is the translation for IGNoRaNcE.

A whole culture created and manipulated by the media to keep people dumber.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sumdumguy
I dont think that will ever happen. For the simple reason that humans have the need to differentiate between one another and the easiest way is based on color, race, sexual orientation, etc...

Setting aside the topic of sexual orientation because there is no nation named after the sexual orientation of its citizenry there will come a time when people are no longer referred to by their skin color. Even the dogs are not referred to by the color of their coat but by their breed.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have a thread already on this topic titled racial confusion; the real problem is no one seems to know the truth about slavery and how we all are still slaves in the US. First off the first owner of slaves was a black man bet you didn’t know that did you. Anyone could own slaves no matter there color. But after his death only whites were the only ones to own slaves and blacks were considered for property, considered but not automatically made a slave. And the first slaves were actually white; when this country was formed it was formed as a Christian community and if you were not a Christian no matter what color you were in away you became a slave. Can not remember the actual name they were given but they were owned for a time and placed under contract with the owner as a laborer or slave. The N word was used to describe property and to show ownership but was in time strictly used to describe blacks since all whites were released from there contractual agreements. As the blacks man contracts became longer and more expensive to purchase there freedom. But they did have the option to buy out there contract. Any way I think you get the idea, to find out the true hurt in all of the confusion please read my thread on the topic.

But in truth it should not be used by anyone of any color especially since we have much more to worry about in this time of our lives and the protection of our country.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
China, Japan and so on have been nations for a long long time.
At the time when black people got enslaved and transported to the states they did not live in a nation. They were part of tribes and stuff.

The African nations we know today are all from after the 2WW and before it only the colonial rulers drawed boundaries on a map and gave it names.

You are right when you say “the colonial rulers drawed boundaries on a map and gave it names.” But you are wrong when you say, “they did not live in a nation.” They lived in many nations. But what to you and the colonial robber barons was just "tribes and stuff" to them it was their ancestral homes where they lived for thousands of years. It was their nations. The robber barons have always looked at the conquered and enslaved indigenous inhabitants as savages and “tribes and stuff.”

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Saying nigga doesn't make you racist.Calling a black person a 'n-word' is what makes it racist.

I hear black people call white people honkeys all the time and they don't complain.

It's more then a word it's an insult to their ancestors.An insult is an insult though.Being called a honkey is still an insult...but it's Okay.

Just because there's a freedom of speech doesn't mean you can insult people.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think its ridiculous that everyone is afraid to say a word that you have to call it "the n - word"

A word is a word, stop taking life so seriously and chill out.

As a white person that grew up in the ghetto I was called a "nigga" by a lot of my black friends. As in they would say "Hey, whats up nigga?" to me.

I personally don't say nigga because I think it looks silly when white people try to use it as blacks do. But hearing it all the time/being called it really doesn't bother me. And no, I'm not a "wigger" either.

Saying nigga is no different than say "Hey, whats up dude?"
History doesn't make the word, context does.

[edit on 8/21/2010 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

what do you call san francisco? XD sorry had to crack that one. and about the dog thing if someone doesnt know wat its called they will call it the black yellow red orange tan dog etc... =]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

Hi. I will explain myself.

Tribes and stuff, indicates that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

Of course the people of Africa grouped together and stuff. ( Pun intended
)

Unfortunately I only know of Eastern and South African societies. Besides the notion that they were considered savages by the ones that wrote our history books proof my point. China and Japan would probably been used and abused in the same way, if they were not as developed as they were.

By all means... I did not intentionally offend anyone. You can blame my lack of knowledge for my simple use of words,but they were never meant to be taken in a negative form.

~ Sinter

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

You can not build a community without being a slave to it, for it to work.
As long as the slave freely cooperate, without the loss of physical freedom.
You are more like a member instead of a slave.

I can assure you that your life would be a lot harder when you would have to do it on your own, without the use of any public service that is. Public service is what you get in return for being a slave to your community.

Actually pretty cool IMO.

I understand that the US never was founded as a Christian nation. It was founded as a republic with a secular government and by founders that would be considered atheists today.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I gotta agree with the above post, a lot of my black friends call me "nigga" as in "Sup nigga?" or "nukka" and I'm a white girl from Idaho! Nowadays, its just like saying "dude". Sure, it doesnt sound smart, but who cares about sounding smart when your just hanging out with your friends? Of course, these friends never say it in front of their grandparents or parents, but they don't talk the same way around their elders as they do when they are just hanging out with our group of friends. The context in which they use it gives it a different meaning. Kinda like the word bi*ch. As in "bi*ch please", "quit acting like a little bi*ch", etc. A real insulting and negative word, unless your amongst friends and ribbing each other or playing around.

As for the word honky or cracker, they make me laugh. What dumb sounding words. If someone seriously tried to insult me by calling me a honky, cracker, whitetrash, redneck, hillbilly, etc. I wouldn't care. I don't know why, but having been called those before just hasn't bothered me because I find it so absurd.

On a sidenote---One of my college professors told me that the word "cracker" was from white slave owners "cracking the whip"---can anyone confirm this?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The way society is being set up today, it's not ok to say anything that could possibly offend anyone; well almost anyone. Honky or honkey should be automatically censored words too, just for the sake of fair and equal treatment under the law. That's just never going to happen is it?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Intrepid

watch this video through to the end, they come to the same conclusion as you do in the end, but the majority of it deals with it in a funny fashion:
www.funnyordie.com...

vinegar,
et

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

how does one tell if it is a white person posting in a thread concerning "The N-Word"?

there are subtle hints.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by a white person]

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Although I assume most people get it, there are some who do not. The use of the 'n-word' amongst Blacks, who use it as a common reference to each other, is mostly due to ignorance. It is also out of self-hatred and loss of a sense of self-worth. Generation after generation it was ingrained in their minds, that they were nothing more than a 'n-word', and many of them now-a-days truly see themselves as just that, a 'n-word'. This is tremendously sad.

Now to the contrary, some Blacks will tell you they use it as admiration for each other, to make it their word and take its power out of it being used against them by Whites for so long. And as clever as that may sound, it still is ignorant at best. So it may just be a word, but it is a word with a strong negative impact, and that is why everybody, particularly non-Black people, should not use it.

Like some one stated before, its impact is in the context of how it is used, but even when used in its least negative context, it is still ignorant at best. Have some compassion and use some wisdom when talking about these subjects people. Our society always seems to take things for granted, like racial relations, until the SHTF and its too late. This is a fine line, tread lightly.

ps. And for the White people who hang around Black people and are also commonly addressed as "what up nukka" or "my nigga", understand that as fun or light as that may sound, it still showing a high level of ignorance and loss of self-worth. Tell your friends to chill out with that bs. I hate nothing more than when a white person, or even a asian or hispanic person, use that word, and mind you at one time I was a GD who was surrounded by this talk on the south side of Chicago. If you have any admiration for MLK and Malcolm X, don't be ignorant and disrespect them.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This all anecdotal.All present humans are related.
Your color,religion and or creed is a consensus of your geology.
Get over it or die.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Its only a word. No need to get all bent out of shape.

Its like females who take offense at the C word. Why? I don't. Its a form of expression and it is of no immediate danger to anyone.

I can't stand people who cry over WORDS.

I was born Jewish (not religious as most will know) but I do NOT take offense from words like Kike, bagel head, Jew tube, Hebes, Oven Magnets etc. If anything I find it quite amusing that each race or religion has little nicknames that we can laugh at together if we grow up.

As they say, stick and stone. Only the weak take offense and only the strong shrug and walk off laughing to themselves that someone would think a word is insulting.

What separates us from animals is the ability to "choose to change".

**** I hope no one takes the names I wrote as offensive as it is to show a point

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

On a sidenote---One of my college professors told me that the word "cracker" was from white slave owners "cracking the whip"---can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I have also heard this being true. I read in some of Fredrick Douglas's material where he talks about this being true. I agree with you that "cracker" and "honkey" don't hold much weight and I tend to laugh at it. Actually, when someone calls me a "White Boy", that gets to me way worse.
I think because as a man, being called a boy is not nice.

reply to post by sassyncute

That is very strong of you, and although you may be right, you cannot deny the level of impact behind this word. Jewish derogatory slang is also a great example of strong hurtful words, because of the actual experiences contributed to them. I am happy for you that it does not effect you strongly, but I cannot tell Jewish people to get over it, or Black people. That is for them to decide, not me.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Don't touch my Faulkner and we'll be OK. I think people make a bigger deal out of the word than it needs to be. It's a word, they are inert. They carry only the power you give them.

But again, do what you want but please don't rewrite any books or censor them. That would be a very bad thing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join