It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N-Word. No place in today's society.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Not just the N word. No swearing at all should be allowed. No name calling of any kind. All those words are just nasty, ban every single negative word and I'll feel much better.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I am dead-set against the banning of any word. Even those being debated here.

You can pass endless laws banning hate speech but not a single one would address the real issue... Hate.

The only way to overcome hate is for us to all begin to realize that we, as human beings, cannot focus upon our differences the way we seem compelled to do. We must learn to focus upon what we all share in common.

Until then it's going to be the same free for all that we see every day.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree it should not be used as a negative way to describe a race. Its funny that it actually came from the following and now its considered one of the most taboo words in the western world.

The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color "black".[1][2][3][4]

Its a crazy world.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

No worries my friend we are here to express ourselves for this is a health thing and debating is always a great way to learn and to better ones self as opinions very topic to topic. I am glad I was able to cause you to over react, that just shows me your writing from your heart and you have true concerns for the thread and topics you write in. Too many out there are just throwing around there two cents as it were and rarely contribute much to the topic of discussion.

Great thread keep up the good work.

What concerns me about the whole thing regarding any words that may describe ones race is allows them to pull the race card in courts and in social situations. I also grew up around blacks and many of my friends are black and when we were young the frequent use of the N word as kids and used as a greeting was come in place. But as we have grown in wisdom and our ignorance of such things subsided we no longer use such language and frown upon the young generation that has not yet learned to do the same. It comes down to your upbringing, my friend received the biggest beating I ever seen by his father when his father over heard him use the word with his friends followed by a long lecture to the whole group, till this day not one of them teens ever used the word again in any sense and have spoken to other friends of theirs explaining why they also should give up the habit of use.

If a word is offensive in any more then it should not be used by anyone for any reason, and when I hear gangs and what not using the word as greetings or for any reason then when they get into trouble they pull the race card well that just does not fly, for an example of social situation read my thread on racial confusion there is a perfect example of what I mean, kind of what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I disagree with the OP. To say that any word has absolutely NO place in society is censorship at best, Orwellian thought control at worst.

A perfect example of this is what happened with Dr. Laura this last week (who I don't listen to or care for). She used the word "'n-word'" (ATS's computers inserted that term "n-word" into my quote. I actually spelled it out in it's original, full English form) in her discussion, just as I used it in this sentence, which is, I'm explaining to you (readers/listeners) EXACTLY the word that was used by someone.

(Do you see how censorship can completely screw up context? I had to put a parenthesized comment in the paragraph above for the rest of my sentence to make sense to the readers of ATS. Instead of rewriting my paragraph, I've decided to keep it as an example of how blind censorship disrupts human communication.)

If explaining ideas, history, concepts using exact words becomes "unacceptable" or "offensive", then we as a society have lost our way.

If any derogatory word is used in a derogatory manner, that's a shame and it's frowned upon. But if a derogatory word is used as an object to explain what someone else or what other people have actually said in the past, then that's perfectly fine. If the word isn't being directed toward someone in a derogatory fashion, then the people who "hear" or "read" the word have absolutely no reason to be offended.

If people find themselves offended in such circumstances then they personal issues that need to be addressed. If they can't identify and handle such mature conversations, then they need to back out of the conversation instead of proclaiming themselves as victims of some form of verbal abuse.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The N Word should not be used, not even by black people. It is extremely offensive and means the same thing either way.

White people don’t go around calling each other Honkey or Pale face so why is it any different?

it gets to me when some say look what the whites did to blacks, whites are responsible for this and that and we should take a look at our history to learn something Blah.
Don’t blame whites for the whole slavery thing. Slavery did not just happen to Africans it happened to every race colour and creed at some point in our history.
As you all know slavery has been going on for thousands of years and still happens today all over the world. Humans have a tendency to exploit each other every now and then. It’s all down to the ancient bloodlines exploiting the lower classes for their own ends. We are all Monsters to them. They divided us and we blame each other.

[edit on 22/8/10 by Ezappa]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ladies and gentleman.

After a little u2u flow with drmeola he asked me to read a thread on this topic he made a year ago.

I think you should all read what he has to say. Including his replies.
Don't worry there are only 3

Racial confusion

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Thank you my friend for the referral and your post on that thread.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
If its on BET its O.K. by ME!

line 2

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I disagree with the OP. To say that any word has absolutely NO place in society is censorship at best, Orwellian thought control at worst.

Really? You think it's a bad thing to do away with negative words such as this? I don't see it as censorship, everyone like to jump on that bandwagon
it's culling out of our language that which it's time has passed.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I believe the point being is we as a society should be the ones to chose either to use a word or not, there should not be a LAW set out by government, because then here we go again, stepping on our rites training police to enforce an unneeded law and at what benefit other than to say ok the charges if found guilty fine would be, what? A dollar amount for sure since jail or prison for such an offence would cost the system money instead of making it money. And we all know its all about revenue for the state or federal government so them and them only would benefit from such a law not the populist. And then does this mean all books such the adventures of tom sawyer should be burned since it has an offending word in it. What would be next were do we draw the line and what words couldn’t be used or you might receive a fine? You see it must be an all or nothing, either we have freedom of speech or we have censorship to the extreme.

Again as individuals we can simple stop using such words and in time they will disappear from our language base. As so many words have gone before without laws to further bound our hands as the worse thing that has ever happened in America is political correctness and we have to end that whole BS thing. A rose by any other name is still a rose. A terrorist is a terrorist no matter what other name we call them by a black person is still a black person and a white person is still a white person and so on it goes. I’m white and whitey I shall be, you maybe black and black you shall be, this whole political correctness such as, I’m not black I am and African American, BS your black and you’re an American period. No body else goes around like I am a Chinese American, BS your Chinese yes but you’re an American. We need to stop this political madness and start calling a spade a spade and I do not mean spade as in black person, I use that phrase as in general.

So I do not jump on your bandwagon of outlawing words or censorship of any kind because that is what leads to madness, and is what is currently taking place with political correctness. A lot of my friends died for people’s rite to say what they want though we might not like what they say I and others will defend with our lives the person’s rite to say it.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I'm going to break one of my own rules about posting in a thread that I haven't read in its entirety, but even though this sentiment has probably already been expressed, I want to share my perspective while it's still fresh in my head.

I agree with most of what Intrepid is saying here (as I often find myself doing) but while I agree, my interpretation of the "current meaning" of the word causes me to take issue.

I'm sure someone has already articulated the idea that the way African-Americans have adopted the use of the word has somehow removed the "power" of the word's original meaning. Which is ambiguous at best. It's an alliteration of the word "negro" which means black. Spoken by white people who couldn't even say it right. Its very sound has become associated with the hate it carried with its original use.

My thoughts are that it has become benign in its position to hurt. It has become a part of modern slang whose meaning is subject to the intent of the speaker.

Is it appropriate for random use? No. It's the kind of thing you can't use around people who don't understand the sentiment expressed above, but I don't believe it should be censored altogether. Everyone chooses the language they use depending on who they're talking to. You swear like a sailor, but not in front of your grandmother. Or maybe you do, and so does she, right along with you.

To clarify - I don't believe this word has reached total benignity. I think people's reaction to its use should be based on the intent of the one speaking, regardless of their race.

I do believe that certain words still contain negative power, I just think that power can be removed through the natural evolution of language and culture.

I believe that calling my Italian friend a "greasy whop" while being called a "stupid honky" by my black brother-in-law can be a celebration of how far we've come since those words actually carried vitriol, as opposed to a reminder of how bad things once were.

That being said the "n-word" has not really reached that point. The "status-quo" still says that "even though African-Americans have re-taken the word, it's still not cool for whites to use." This is still racism. Before more people realize that intent is as important as semantics, these cultural double-standards will continue, and the politically correct will maintain their stranglehold on true freedom of speech.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma

I believe that calling my Italian friend a "greasy whop" while being called a "stupid honky" by my black brother-in-law can be a celebration of how far we've come since those words actually carried vitriol, as opposed to a reminder of how bad things once were.

To clarify, I mean I think it's possible to give each other a hard time based upon how ignorant or ancestors were, knowing we are not like them. We have thick enough skins to laugh about it because we know better now.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What is this, 1994?

This post is about 20 years too late.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

Actually, homosexual persecution has been going on for thousands of years, and still takes place. Look at the holocaust, where thousands of homosexuals were killed. In fact, 78 countries around the world currently have laws banning consensual homosexuality. Even in America in the fifties, gays were put in asylums and thought to have a mental disorder, sometimes given electro-shock therapy and labotomies. Yes, they have been lynched, ostracized, scorned, tortured, etc. To say that homosexuals should not be given the same respect as blacks is pure ignorance. The same goes for women, who have and still are persecuted for their sex, something they cannot control. Look at honor killings, for Chrissake! We should not afford these minorities the same respect? Shame on you.

I'm sorry, but I never once stated that other minorities should not be granted the same level of respect. They should, but we are not talking about that in this thread.

I do take some dislike in your equal comparison of the Gay struggle to the Black American struggle, as that is a true disservice to the reality of what happened. I must admit I am not as well versed in the Gay struggle as I am in the Black American struggle, but I do feel there is a rather large level of difference between the two.

I recently visited Louisiana and toured some of the plantations down there, it is nothing less than a horrific scene that 99% of all Black people, who were brought to America on slave ships, had to endure. For over four hundred years, generation after generation, whole families of sometimes 6 to 7 people lived in 16 x 16 foot sheds. They were sold like commodities at a market. They were systematically broken down mentally and physically, almost like a horse, to become nothing more than workers for their master. If they were strong minded and refused to be broken, they were whipped until there was nothing but bones showing on there back side. If they still did not comply, their arms and legs were tied to horses, and in front of all their family they were ripped apart into pieces. They were systematically bred, so only the strongest would be born, and they could not choose who they had families with. They were branded like cattle to confirm ownership of their master. And this was not just a brief period in history, this lasted up until the 20th century in some places. Then a whole new form of struggle took place, which gave rise to the Civil Rights movement.

Fredrick Douglas, a slave who won his freedom at 21 by running away on the underground railroad and escaping to the north were he became a highly educated man and one of the greatest speakers in history, once made this statement:

"There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices, more shocking and bloody, than are the people of the United States, at this very hour. Go where you may, search where you will, roam throughout all the monarchies and despotism's of the Old-World, travel through South America, search out every abuse, and when you have found the last, lay your facts by the side of the every day practices of this nation and you will say with me, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy AMERICA REIGNS WITHOUT RIVAL. "
And these abuses continued up to and through the 1960's.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
color scheme theory:
www.color-wheel-pro.com...
www.color-wheel-pro.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.colormatters.com...

Perhaps you guys have watched the Conspiracy Chicks?

if not let me know who you are, so i can take you off my friends list.

anyways...

look at their color scheme for the show, they utilize opposing colors for both the conspiracy of opposition that it subliminally suggests, as well as the fact that they also compliment eachother, the above links explain the theories behind the color wheel rather well. i really liked the first link myself.

problem is ..... "white" is the absence of color....and "black" is all the colors joined together, in theory.

they should compliment eachother, but if you look at the rainbow, neither white or black seem to be a part of it, now do they?

because they are not really considered "colors", by some.

compliments,
et

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Being a white raised with blacks all my life, they, nor I, have a problem using the word. My friends see no problem with a white, like myself, using it because they know its a slang and not meant to offend anyone. I can understand though why someone may get offended if a complete stranger were to use it among blacks.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I recently visited Louisiana and toured some of the plantations down there, it is nothing less than a horrific scene that 99% of all Black people, who were brought to America on slave ships, had to endure. For over four hundred years, generation after generation, whole families of sometimes 6 to 7 people lived in 16 x 16 foot sheds. They were sold like commodities at a market. They were systematically broken down mentally and physically, almost like a horse, to become nothing more than workers for their master.

99% of all black people? I doubt its that high. There were some blacks thats were treated like family members (yes, I'm serious) believe it or not Robert E. Lee was against slavery and didn't own any slaves at all.

Anyways, the point is not all blacks were whipped and beaten. Ever heard the derogatory slang 'house nigga'? well it means a black slave that was loved by their masters above all the rest, were treated better and sometimes, actually loved. It's a term now used to refer to someone who is soft.

I'm sorry but I'm in total disagreement with you on that fact that you seem to think that all blacks were treated cruelly.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergyI'm sorry, but I never once stated that other minorities should not be granted the same level of respect. They should, but we are not talking about that in this thread.

I do take some dislike in your equal comparison of the Gay struggle to the Black American struggle, as that is a true disservice to the reality of what happened. I must admit I am not as well versed in the Gay struggle as I am in the Black American struggle, but I do feel there is a rather large level of difference between the two.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

We are talking about the use of the "n-word" in this thread, and comparing the word "fag" and "b^tch" has been brought up, and even you commented on it, so how can you say we are not talking about that in this thread? We are essentially talking about the "n-word", a term that can be used to degrade a minority, so comparing like terms could present more understanding and different perspectives.

Despite what you think, the terms are very alike. They are both terms that can be used in a derogatory manner towards a minority. Because blacks have suffered more publicly, the derogatory term towards them should be taken more seriously? You say that all minorities should recieve the same level of respect, yet you dismiss the word "fag" as if it is far less offensive than the word "nigga". I don't know, it just seems like hypocrisy, picking and choosing which minority you do and don't care about offending.

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
reply to post by ghaleon12

"Fag is worse"? How many gay people have been lynched, whipped and pulled apart by horses tied to their limbs? Matter of fact, how many hundred years did gay people go through slavery? I am sorry, this isn't just a word, and to compare it to other curse words like Bit#h or Fa#got, is truly saying something about you level of understanding of our history in America, and about the history and suffering Black America has gone through.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join