It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bi-polar, and it's raining again :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
hi, i don't often come on ATS, i used to, but those times have since passed, what has brought me back is... boredom, you see, it's raining outside which limits what i can do, and also, i'm having a bad turn due to my bi-polar (heartbroken and my best friend hates me - i'm more or less over the heartbreak, and i'm slightly angry at my friend and the anger is more powerfull than the sadness), SO, i have a question, do any of you have bi-polar or a depression problem?

also: apart from the medication, what else do you guys do to combat your depression?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like it is worthless to continue the struggle of paying my bills, trying to find a job (again), and even keeping friends. When I feel like this I usually find at least one way to entertain myself. If you can make yourself laugh, its one of the best ways.

I usually just hangout with friends. I find that company always kills depression for me. If no-one is around or available because most of my friends are already off to college in other states or towns far away, then I'll try playing a game, drawing, or designing.

You just need a laugh!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
most people just try to drink it away (when they sober up its still there but now they ake)
some use drugs legal or not to feel better again the after affects just make it worse.
Now me I refused the drugs like depacote and have detached my self from my emotions as much as possible . Now this works good short tearm no hang overs lol.
But being like you are is like carring around a 100 pound sack of flour .
after a wile you dont think about it as much but if you mannage to put taht sack down when you have to pick it back up it feels like its a tonn.
There is no nsolution for people such as us I just hope you have friends and family

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I have a depression problem, some have said a bipolar "disorder". It's raining here. I filled-out the manifestation request forms yesterday and I guess it bypassed the beaurocratic red tape, shooting straight to the highest authority. If you're in the SE Michigan area, sorry about that but we needed some moisture!

[edit on 8/21/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm sorry you're having a bad day. I'm not bi-polar, but I do have bouts of depression sometimes in the Winter. I find that being creative is the best method of washing away the blues. What are your hobbies? What do you like to do and what brings you passion?

IT's just a matter of getting out there and getting your focus off yourself sometimes.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm also bi-polar.

I drink a lot but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have self-diagnosed myself as being borderline bi-polar (another of my medical paranoias) and ive found that the best thing to knock me out of the downward spiral are compliments!

So i compliment you on your interesting thread and i hope it alleviates the boredom.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Massively OCD. Somedays worse than others
But I do have my down days like everyone.

I imagine yours are more pronounced and last longer. What I advise is exercise. Any chance you get, do some exercise and get the endorphins flowing.

I recently bought an exercise bike on the cheap and I get on that bad boy everyday.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ok, just a question for everyone who's bipolar. Did a family member tell you that you might be bipolar, and if they did, how was your reaction? Did you argue with them or not.
I have a family member that has all the symptoms of a borderline personality. She's messing up her kids lives and her own and no one has the guts to tell her she needs to see a docter. She'll totaly freak out!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
When growing up as a kid, one of my parents was bipolar and sometimes I would get the blues too. What worked for me was to stay away from the internet, TV, and video games. When I avoided them I felt better and am able to get my chores done. I get the blues when I am board, so I try to keep my self busy.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
How long have you been depressed? Less than 4 months, don't worry in a couple of weeks and you'll be good to go. I've been depressed for over 7 years now, just got up one day in the morning and the world changed. I'm depressed cause of things i cannot change, so i guess there's no cure. I workout alot and i guess that helps, I've got family and friends (brainwashed zombies) so they don't do much for me. Only feel two emotions, sadness and anger....lots and lots of anger. Gotta learn to live with it, take the bitter with the bitter. When life hands u lemons you gotta make some lemonade
. Just don't do anything stupid (my girl always tells me that).

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I was told I was bi-polar manic depressive and it took me seeking out help to realize what it really was because I knew something wasn't right. I had all the markers of someone who was bi-polar. The biggest sign was my spending. I would shop like crazy but I had the income to be able to do so, so in my eyes it was no big deal but I always had buyers remorse. It was like shopping was my high and when I was done I realized I didn't need any of it. I almost always returned everything the next day. I returned 400 dollars worth of clothes to one store. They were not happy but I knew I had every right to return it.

It started with anxiety and panic attacks after a breakup that was abusive. I also hated the job I had which ironically enough I am back there...Anyway I noticed changes in myself and sought help but it took a few years to get anyone to listen and not think I was just a pill junkie looking for a fix. You would not believe what I would be told at the hospital when I would go in with full on panic attack. I had a ER doctor tell me he didn't believe in mental health. He told me to go home and meditate (which is great) and then he told me that I was a scorpio and what I was experiencing was normal. I was dumb founded. I am personally very spiritual but I didn't think he should be saying that to me at the hospital. It was very frustrating so I started to research various mental illnesses and came across BP and instantly knew but I needed validation of it. I literally cried and didn't feel so crazy anymore. When I finally found a doctor who would help me (I had no insurance) that is what he diagnosed me as.. I was put on 800mg of seroquel a day. I was a ZOMBIE and the first time I took it I passed out in 10mins mid sentence. I had to fight the effects of it at first so I could properly work and function. My motor skills and speak were highly affected. I fell asleep in the movie theater once and when I woke I freaked so I called my bf to come get me. I didn't like what it was doing to me. I gained 32lbs, I am 5'2" and usually 110. I gained that weight in a month. I have really bad upper digestive problems because of it now. The only thing I liked was that I slept 8hrs a night. I normally sleep 4-5, 6 if I am lucky. I have very bad insomnia so sometimes I sleep 2-3 hrs. Well after much thought I took myself off of it against my doctor at the times wishes. I told them I would rather find another way to deal with it than go through life in a coma. I again went back studying bi-polar and manic depression. I looked at every site I could find. I haven't been on my medicine in 4 years and I couldn't be happier.

What worked for me was getting to know this "disease" which personally I don't really consider it a disease. I learned to recognize signs and triggers as to what causes me to have an "episode" or go into a high manic state. I am completely different now and my friends and family have all noticed it. I know people who are on seroquel and they are fine however. I personally have a low tolerance for pharmaceutical meds. I almost always have adverse reactions. Other things helped but I can't discuss that on here due to the terms and conditions. I will say my doctor is fully aware and supports it. I use to see a psychiatrist every month but I haven't done that in two years. I feel that my own determination to kick BPs butt was what helped me. I didn't like who I was and I knew it wasn't me. I really believe that my abusive relationship is what triggered it. I was told I had a form of post traumatic stress by counselors for women who have been in that situation. I usually don't talk about it but I do know what it is like to have those feelings when you are bi-polar..

As for what you could do...
I would suggest maybe finding a hobby you can do around the house or outside that would keep you busy. Is there anything you enjoy? I found reading and keeping a journal helps. I am able to vent and let it out in a journal without anyone yelling back. I use MS word and it's password protected so nobody who is on my computer can view. Just make sure you never forget it, it can't be resent to you.
I found out the hard way. Took me forever to figure my PW out lol

I am sorry about your friend and heartache. I too know how that can be as I have been there. As for your heart ache I just want to say it will get better as will everything else. Just think positive, it really does help and I use to think it was silly to say "affirmations" in the morning. It really does make me feel better to pat myself on the shoulder so to speak. About your friend the only thing I can say is to wait it out. If he is a true friend he will come around. I won't ask the circumstances as they are none of my beeswax I have had a friend who I have known for 20 years and she is currently mad at me. She has dont this before and we always just let it cool off and one day one of us calls. I can only say give it time depending on the circumstances. I really do hope things work out for you.

I still have moments where I feel "it" starting to come on and that is when I snap out of it so to speak. I catch certain things and I immediately stop but like I said this has taken me years to be able to do. I am not advocating people who are BP to stop their meds I am just telling my story dealing with it. It really helped me to read about it in depth. I joined forums and talked to others who were BP.

Do you take anything now??

Sorry for the long post but this is a topic I enjoy because of my personal experience with it. I don't talk about it much but I felt like I should tonight.

Best of luck to you

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier.
There is no nsolution for people such as us I just hope you have friends and family

This saddens me that you feel this way.
Don't think like that. There is a solution you just have to find what fits your needs. I know it seems like there isn't one because believe me I thought I would always have to deal with it.

I don't take meds anymore, couldn't stand them. I found a way to deal with it and I never thought I would.

I'm not ashamed that I went through it because it really in a way made me who I am now. I just don't talk about it, people who have never dealt with it never understand and just call you crazy. I have had many heated discussions over this and I even cut a friend out of my life over how she acted over it. Negativity when you have BP is the worst. In the last few years I have cut many people out of my life who I felt had a negative impact on me and my personal growth. I keep limited contact with my mother because of how she still treats me. She thinks I should be on meds when it is clear I don't need to be. She is the only one who thinks so. I agree friends and family are great as long as they are supportive.

new topics

top topics

join