It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

they have as much right to prohibit th child from enrolling as the BSA has of prohibiting homos from being leaders.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by aorAki

they have as much right to prohibit th child from enrolling as the BSA has of prohibiting homos from being leaders.

Slugger, I'm quite uncertain of what you mean seeing as we're all Homos.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

The "what would Jesus do" argument is completely invalid here. This ideology applies to matter of personal morality and not to institutional or legal ones.

Perhaps a little more personal morality injected into institutional and legal matters would produce a whole different brand of Christian.
Sorry...'What would Jesus do' is the essence of the argument. Anything else is cynical obfuscation, and quite shameful at that.

Since you did not refute anything that I actually said and only resorted to a shaded personal jab, may I assume that we agree?

If you consider that exchange to be in agreement, I suppose I now have a greater understanding of what a dogma and pony show religious zealotry actually is. Just a regular moral buffet!

No...we are not in agreement, but thanks for your interest.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Religious zealotry? That is a really interesting charge to make against an agnostic.

Care to reload or are you comfortable with that position?

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Religious zealotry? That is a really interesting charge to make against an agnostic.

Care to reload or are you comfortable with that position?

My apologies...I was attempting to find a contextual reason for your intuitive leaps.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Apology accepted. What you think of as an "intuitive leap" I happen to think of as a blatant truth. Cest la vie. That's the beauty of debate. We can disagree in non-destructive ways.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Just because the parents are gay doesnt mean the child is so why deny the child based on the parents? It is not right at all.The child should not be punished and not allowed just because her/his parent doesnt meet the schools standards or in this case lifestyle.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrillsAngelWings
Just because the parents are gay doesnt mean the child is so why deny the child based on the parents? It is not right at all.The child should not be punished and not allowed just because her/his parent doesnt meet the schools standards or in this case lifestyle.

It's my belief that the 2 lesbians deliberately targeted a private school just to cause friction and gain recognition with total disregard for the girls' privacy.

If anyone is "punishing" the child it is the very laws that allowed these two lesbians to be parents to this girl.

There are literally thousands of schools that she can go to across the US but the same-sex parents chose this one for no more than a publicity stunt, like I said, at the girl's expense.

Edit: Message to the lesbian parents. Go where you're welcomed like California or where you came from.

[edit on 25/8/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Lets try a lil experiment here , We will change just a few descriptors with another descriptor in parenthisis to see how ignorant your post looks.Maybe you will understand exactly what kind of argument your using.

"It's my belief that the 2(blacks ) deliberately targeted a private school just to cause friction and gain recognition with total disregard for the girls' privacy.

If anyone is "punishing" the child it is the very laws that allowed these two (jews) to be parents to this girl.

There are literally thousands of schools that she can go to across the US but the (hispanic) parents chose this one for no more than a publicity stunt, like I said, at the girl's expense.Go where you're welcomed like California or where you came from. "

This post is not meant to be mean just trying to prove a point

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Parents just wanted to make a scene. If they REALLY wanted this kid in the school, they could have just quietly submitted the application and said nothing about having two mommies. But they wanted to see what would happen, so they crossed out father and wrote mommie.

I think the school is fully within their rights here. As long as they accept no federal funds, they can keep whomever they choose out.

Good for the school.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Originally posted by KrillsAngelWings

Lets try a lil experiment here , We will change just a few descriptors with another descriptor in parenthisis to see how ignorant your post looks.Maybe you will understand exactly what kind of argument your using.

My post would only look ignorant to those who fail to deny ignorance.

"It's my belief that the 2(blacks ) deliberately targeted a private school just to cause friction and gain recognition with total disregard for the girls' privacy.

If anyone is "punishing" the child it is the very laws that allowed these two (jews) to be parents to this girl.

There are literally thousands of schools that she can go to across the US but the (hispanic) parents chose this one for no more than a publicity stunt, like I said, at the girl's expense.Go where you're welcomed like California or where you came from. "

Blacks, Jews and Hispanics didn't have a choice being born into their ethnic groups therefore rights shouldn't be denied to them based on ethnicity.

Two gays or two lesbians living together choose to be that way. No one forced them to live together as a couple nor carry themselves in a way that's contrary to biological laws. It's their choice and the private school has every right to deny this girl admission solely based on her two, same-sex parent household. They don't have the right to force a change on this school.

This post is not meant to be mean just trying to prove a point

I'll be waiting for you to prove your point because the present one didn't prove anything.

[edit on 25/8/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Blacks, Jews and Hispanics didn't have a choice being born into their ethnic groups therefore rights shouldn't be denied to them based on ethnicity.

Exactly my point! That child did not choose to be raised by a gay couple so why should she suffer for it?I dont see were the parents are trying to make it a publicity stunt to gain attention to the cause.I just see they made out the paperwork changed the father to mother because there is no father and were denied because of it.So again why is it ok to deny this child? Honestly there is no good reason it is all based on her parents lifestyle not the child herself so the child should not be denied.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KrillsAngelWings

If you read back a bit I explained that schools of this sort can disqualify a student based on the parents lifestyle no matter if they are gay or not.

If there is something in the parent’s lifestyle that they make known to the school and it is against the schools doctrine/view they can disqualify the student based solely on that. The parents do not even have to be gay. There was a story a few years back about a single woman teaching at a school like this and got fired because she became pregnant out of wedlock. She had signed a paper saying she would abide by the followings of the school and could be dismissed if she did not.

This is a private organization. I do not see anyone getting upset because whites cannot join the Black Panthers or Mexicans cannot join the KKK or a person who does not subscribe to all the teachings of the masons cannot join them. I do not see people getting mad because a boy cannot be in the girls scouts or a girl in the boy scouts. What about the different scholarships out there for different races? Oh wait, this is a Christian organization so it needs to be berated for following its own codes, it is always the same.

Raist

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

That does not make it right to do.A child should never be subjected to that kind of treatment because of his/her parents choices.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Parents just wanted to make a scene. If they REALLY wanted this kid in the school, they could have just quietly submitted the application and said nothing about having two mommies. But they wanted to see what would happen, so they crossed out father and wrote mommie.

I think the school is fully within their rights here. As long as they accept no federal funds, they can keep whomever they choose out.

Good for the school.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

Reread the article. The child crossed out the field that said 'father' and wrote mother. The child caused it not the parents. Being a gay parent does make you slightly against telling your child to hide it - it kind of makes them ashamed of you.

Moments like this really highlight people's prejudices. I'm sorry, but just because you're gay doesn't suddenly make you a card carrying member of the homosexual mafia out to challenge religious belief and doctrine.

If a Christian walked on stage during a gay rock performance and was asked to leave you wouldn't say... omg the Christian was just trying to cause a scene! ... without any evidence to prove it.

And lets face it ... all of you people crying gay conspiracy would be very upset if a 'gay school' opened up near you and would complain about it indoctrinating people etc ...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I think it is very wrong to refuse a child education. I am not sure how the rules for private schools/ universities are in United States but here in India even private schools cannot discriminate on basis of religion, sex or other such issues. If such a thing happens the parents can take the school administration to court. Please understand I am only speaking from my point of view.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If this were a public school, I would say let the comments fly. This is a private parochial school. There are plenty of non parochial private and public options available to choose from. Clearly, this couple has the means to afford private education. So, choose a different school instead of using a child as a soapbox for your ideals.

It is what it is. When I was kid in Catholic school my parents divorced. Big no no back then. I was the only kid with divorced parents. I wasn't kicked out of school but I know what the nuns and the pastor were thinking. Yes, I was that kid. But, neither of my parents made a stink out of it and life went on and my brother and I turned out just fine.

Pretty amazing how life can just advance if you allow it!!!!

[edit on 26-8-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
It's my belief that the 2 lesbians deliberately targeted a private school just to cause friction and gain recognition with total disregard for the girls' privacy.

You belief based on what, exactly?

How about this - maybe they actually wanted to give their child another view of the world.

Parents do this all the time. I do it with my kids, I want them to experience life without my complete influence so that they can become their own person, make their own decisions, figure out who they are and not who I would want them to be.

To automatically jump to a conclusion, and posting such rhetoric as you have below only show your total ignorance and bias.

... rest of ignorant post SNIPPED ...

Try opening your mind some time. Sadly, this almost never happens with the religious types.

It is MY belief that they are scared at what they might find.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Perhaps YOU should reread the article:

"Jill and Tracy Harrison were married in Canada in 2006. Last month they filled out admission forms to enroll their daughter, Olivia, into St. Vincent’s Episcopal School. JILL wrote her name next to the word “mother” on the forms. She crossed out “father” and wrote in “mother” next to Tracy's name as well."

What did the parents THINK was going to happen, applying to a private christian school in Texas of all places?

They should have seen this coming.

San Francisco has an entire industry that caters to this kind of lifestyle. I would have tried there, before I tried Texas.

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

[edit on 26-8-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's laughable, there are millions of childrens around the planet who go without education because they can't afford it, have no such system..who probably have never heard what a school or education is and yet here in U.S.A. we can deny children education on the basis of religion.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join