It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

School Rejects Lesbian Couple's Daughter

www.myfoxdfw.com

BEDFORD, Texas - A Bedford couple is upset that their daughter was denied admission to a private Episcopal school. The school says it does not agree with their lesbian lifestyle. Jill and Tracy Harrison were married in Canada in 2006. Last month they filled out admission forms to enroll their daughter, Olivia, into St. Vincent’s Episcopal School. Jill wrote her name next to the word “mother” on the forms. She crossed out “father” and wrote in “mother” next to Tracy's name as well. School officials said they assumed Tracy was a man. But after the couple attended parent’s night,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
wireupdate.com
www.linerwatch.com

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A lesbian couple circumvents Christian doctrine, attempts to have their adopted child admitted into a Christian school, get rejected, and now feel disappointed? This is like the muslims who want to build a mosque next to ground zero. They are both sticking their thumbs into the eyes of the American people! Yet when the people reject them, they express disappointment? California has rejected homosexual marriage, but the perverted legal system (the very system that let O J Simpson off on murder) ignores the public vote and continues with this obamanation anyway. We’ll have to see if the speaker of the house calls for an investigation of this episode in the degradation of the morals in America.
Don’t mess with Texas!

www.myfoxdfw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This just screams "agenda" on the part of the parents. It's not about the child. It's about trying force the furthering of the gay rights debate, getting into the spotlight, or setting up a lawsuit. There's more here than meets the eye.

At least that's how I see it.

I'm all for equality for all. And I fully support gay rights. But it's wrong to go about it this way. A religious school is the wrong venue to fight this battle in.

[edit on 8/21/10 by Hefficide]

[edit on 8/21/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I am all for gay rights, but this is a private school and they can do whatever the hell they want...and I doubt them being a lesbian couple was a huge factor, but saying it was makes for an easy lawsuit and free publicity.
How do gays and minorities ever hope to get over discrimination when some of them keep raising stupid lawsuits that perpetuate people's fears of hiring or admitting them?

[edit on 21-8-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I agree. While I believe strongly that a person's choice of life partner is irellevant to people outside of the relationship, I also believe that religious establishments must be able to follow and adhere to their religious beliefs.

This is a *private* school with a Christian foundation. This couple has no business complaining because they are not accepted. They need to go find a Pagan (they tend to be more tolerant) private school or a non-religious private school and stop trying to change people who have no interest in changing.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I actually agree that as a private school they have the right to allow whoever they want, but it seems really messed up to treat a kid that way.

reply to post by yellowcard

We regret the disappointment the mother feels. It is clear, however, that enrolling the child in a traditional Christian school, such as St. Vincent’s School, would not foster her own personal values at home. And it might undermine the moral instruction of our clergy and teachers in the minds of our schools students and parents.

It makes sense to read the full article, where the school clearly state why they did what they did.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think there were better ways to handle this.

Homosexuals can be Christian, too, and turning the people away just doesn't seem Christian to me. Pretty sure Jesus wanted people to come to him, not get kicked out.

Yes, the child's life style at home may disagree with some things that happen at the school ... welcome to critical thinking and reality no?

If anything it's just ill-preparing children who do go to such a school from experiencing reality. I see where people are coming from, and yes it's a private school and they can do what they want ... But there *are* homosexual Christians out there, and Christians do need to deal with that.

I'd just like to add too, not everything a homosexual does has an agenda. Christian schools *do* let people in divorced/lapsed states join them. Admittedly they are normally asked about this during the initial interview.

I attended a Christian school at one stage and my parents were divorced - they had no problem with it. The only issue I see here is that the parents should have made the situation more clear from the start. Simple case of gay parents wanted child to go to good school, it didn't work out. No agenda IMO.

On a side note: where does it say in the article that this couple is raising a law suit? Perhaps am tired and have missed it but it seems certain people are trying to turn this into homosexual 'agendising' when its just a couple disappointed about their daughter's education.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Pinke]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If a school, club or other organization offers membership to the public it should be on an equal basis regardless of religious, racial, ethnic or lifestyle background. If it does not it should be closed by the government. I would imagine they looked at various educational facilities available in the area and chose one that was best for their child within their budget. I am so tired of folks hiding behind religion in order to be bigots.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's a private school and they can accept or deny whoever they wish as a student.
Seems the parents enrolled the daughter to this school intentionally to see if they could stir up the --
Private schools aren't cheap. Take your money elsewhere to a private school that is accepting, or utilize the public school system.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigdog36
It's a private school and they can accept or deny whoever they wish as a student.
Seems the parents enrolled the daughter to this school intentionally to see if they could stir up the [snip].

I'm sure many said the same thing about Jackie Robinson. You know, private league and all that.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
If a school, club or other organization offers membership to the public it should be on an equal basis regardless of religious, racial, ethnic or lifestyle background. If it does not it should be closed by the government. I would imagine they looked at various educational facilities available in the area and chose one that was best for their child within their budget. I am so tired of folks hiding behind religion in order to be bigots.

It is called private funds... If the government was in the business to close EVERY place that had any restrictions I would think we would be deep into a fascist state by then.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigdog36
Seems the parents enrolled the daughter to this school intentionally to see if they could stir up the sh!t.

Folks seem to be oblivious to the fact that one can be gay/lesbian and still have Christian beliefs. And the exercising of these beliefs does not have to equate to stirring up the "sh!t".

Would Christ have turned this little girl away? I'm guessing no. So in who's name do these administrators speak? We are quick to point out hypocrisy in other religions, but Christianity is obviously no different.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hmm, it's OK for gays to fight and die for their country but not get a good education. Nice. And it IS discrimination. The school even said as much.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Hmm, it's OK for gays to fight and die for their country but not get a good education. Nice. And it IS discrimination. The school even said as much.

Well we all discriminate everyday so there is legal and illegal discrimination. In this case it is legal discrimination. There are other schools, like public where my kids go…

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Well we all discriminate everyday so there is legal and illegal discrimination. In this case it is legal discrimination. There are other schools, like public where my kids go…

They want a better education for their kid. They have the money, what's the problem? Are you saying that if you could put your kids through a private school you wouldn't?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree that this is simply the agenda of the parents, and shame on them for putting their child in this situation.

Can a homosexual also be a person of faith (whichever faith)? Absolutely. However, how that person rectifies their personal feelings with church doctrine is their own issue.

The fact of the matter is that most church's (most religions for that matter) do not find that homosexuality is part of their religious belief or pleasing to God.
It is not something that they wish condone or promote.

This school is private, they can accept, deny, or dismiss students of their own accord, and no one has a right to be there.

I sure the parents were not surprised by the fact that this particular church condemns homosexuality so what other reason could they have other than to attempt to force their lifestyle upon the faith.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

They want a better education for their kid. They have the money, what's the problem? Are you saying that if you could put your kids through a private school you wouldn't?

Well actually I could if I wanted to, and it would depend on the location I live. Where I live the public schools are good.

But what you are suggesting is we must agree with all behaviors and lifestyles, and I don't even think you are that way. I don’t agree with the school’s view, but I understand their right to not agree with how everyone chooses to live, especially if it goes against their views and beliefs. One of the main reasons they are private is to have this ability legally.

I can see the possibility for an agenda on the part of the couple. The funny part would be for the school to let the child in then teach her that her parents are an abomination in the eyes of the lord…maybe they should be careful for what they wish for…hehe

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

No they cannot. That very concept is an oxymoron. That is the same thing as saying a serial killer can still be Christian. If someone chooses to be homosexual that's their business, but don't try and change the Christian church to suit your needs. Start your own Church. Why would two lesbians insist on sending their child to a Christian school. The Christian Bible teaches that lesbianism is wrong, so I too see an agenda here folks.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

The school is not open to the public, it's a PRIVATE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL. Read the article fully. A public school would have no right to say anything but a private school does.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

private school

Stopped reading there.

The parents are stupid.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join