It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles 'big one' could come sooner than thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Los Angeles 'big one' could come sooner than thought

rawstory.com

University of California at Irvine and Arizona State University scientists examined the geological record stretching back 700 years along the fault line 160 kilometers (100 miles) northwest of Los Angeles.

They found that strong earthquakes -- between 6.5 and 7.9 magnitude -- shook the area every 45-144 years, instead of the previously established 250-400 years.

Since the last big 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck southern California in 1857, or 153 years ago, scientists believe the next...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I think one of the salient points here from the article is this:

"There are storm clouds gathered on the horizon. Does that mean it's definitely going to rain? No, but when you have that many clouds, you think, ?I'm going to take my umbrella with me today.? That's what this research does: It gives us a chance to prepare," she said.

So according to this new study, that means that in the BEST CASE SCENARIO, the San Andreas is statistically 9 years overdue!
:

But what has to be even more scary is that whenever it comes this next time, it will more than likely be big, due to pent up stresses for that long, long period. The longer we go without one, the more potentially devastating it can be when it lets go.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Well it would be interesting to know this could happen tomorrow. Can you imagine a huge earthquake in California?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I'd really rather not, but it IS inevitable. If I lived there it would have to be with the utmost of preparation- with very strong living quarters and lots of stored food, medicine, etc.

Over here on the east coast we lie in wait, totally unprepared for the sure catastrophe it will be when the New Madrid fault finally snaps- though some reports suggest the fault may have "died".

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I can tell you in California hell will be unleashed by the citizens. Knowing everyone is on various welfare handouts already the results from a earthquake will be devastating. Picture the current floods in Pakistan and all the refuges.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

I don't get where you trying to come from. Nah Mean?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I thought that small earthquakes were a good thing? Damn Geography teachers got it wrong again.

Small earthquakes help alleviate pressure building up. It would be more troubling if there were no earthquakes occurring this would mean friction was building. The fact that the plates are moving little by little suggests to me that there won't be a big one anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Small earthquakes help alleviate pressure building up. It would be more troubling if there were no earthquakes occurring this would mean friction was building. The fact that the plates are moving little by little suggests to me that there won't be a big one anytime soon.

Yeah well there's one catch 22 with earthquakes: The sheer frequency of quakes is also used as a potential gauge of a bigger one to come. And that's what this study is showing. Statistically over 700 years the place is just due. Overdue really for something much bigger.

But on a longer statistical scale, such as 10,000 years or more, there's no telling. That place could be destined to fall back into the ocean, for all we know. Or it could be that the small quakes will be enough to avoid the big one.

They have been waiting for another big one in Japan as well for many years. They know it's coming. And they are prepared, for the most part.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

After the crazy solutions to the BP oil leak, it's just a matter of time before an ATSer wonders if nuking the Andreas Fault *might* work

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I visit that page, (specifically the coordnates 35N W120) every single day.

I moved from there in 2006, and nearly "ALL" of my friends and family ones are still there.

News like this scares me.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by sticky]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised that it's overdue because it has trillions of tonnes worth of city built on top of it, acting like a paperweight.

Probably will make it more explosive when it actually hits also? I can't imagine such a weight on top of the fault line not having some sort of influence.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Peanuts! That has had over 3000 on it before.

Of course we all know that 'the big one' is coming in 2012 - they showed it in the film.

S&F OP. Nice find.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Its always good to have updates on the quake line in California - I lived there for 12 years and felt nervous from every little tremor. Unless things have changed a lot in building construction since I lived there it will be maybe even more devastating than predicted. I now lived near the New Madrid fault and had not heard anything about it possibly dying, didn't know a fault line could die. Do you remember where you obtained this info, a link would be nice, thank you.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
they just had a big one 10 or so years ago where ya been? caused freeways to colapse,apartments bldgs to pancake and a motorcyle cop drove off one of them and into the here after.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sticky
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I visit that page, (specifically the coordnates 35N W120) every single day.

I moved from there in 2006, and nearly "ALL" of my friends and family ones are still there.

News like this scares me.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by sticky]

www.uhuh.com...

They have to finish stealing the gold out of the California desert first, then they will initiate the quake,....................... see ya suckers!!!!!!!!!

Typical Elitist crap.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am hereby invoking my one bump I will do occasionally for more important threads that could potentially be life-saving to someone who, with the realization of this new study and fundamental statistic, may want to increase preparedness.

That extra bandage, first aid kit, or extra can of food could one day safe a life or limb in a disaster of this magnitude.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I live in Los Angeles and I'd like to say that when the "big one" comes, there will be lots of destruction and probably more than a handful of deaths. The true Angelenos will come out and help everyone else that just moved from Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Florida, the rest of the world (they generally freak out at any little tremor).

We will get things back to normal a few months later, and everyone will move on with their lives. Thing is, Earthquakes are a fact of life here. No way around them. Trying to predict them is a waste of time.

Keeping prepared with emergency food, water, clothing, tools, etc is all we can do. Best case scenario, infrastructure is marginally compromised and back moving again in a matter of weeks. Worst case, we slide into the ocean. Either way, emergency supplies will be the order of the day. Looting will probably happen, so will shootings, and carjackings and traffic, and basically it will be business as usual except people will hide in their tents, not their houses.

The major buildings have been retrofitted with EQ Rollers (nauseating) and new buildings (post '94) have been built with quakes in mind. Bottom line, we will be okay, just send some food and water for those that didnt prepare.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

the weight of the building on Ca. is offset
by the hot air coming from that state.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

I would say that you may be correct,.
however nobody know exactly what type of quake you would experience.
or the mag for that matter,.
I have been there during a 6.4 and it was cool for me,and only lasted about 15 seconds,. sort of a swaying motion.
But the quake that leveled Haiti was was just a 7
So i'd guess it depends on the type of quake
I believe Haiti was of a vertical motion.
Yes I know Haiti was not at all built like the standards of California, and I still wonder just how resilient California would be against a sustained 9.0
I think the largest you have had was a 7.8 in 1906

top topics

<<   2 >>

join