It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultraviolet light reveals how ancient Greek statues really looked

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

signature
Phage is the glue that holds ATS together. Phage is the brain that deduces what is lie and truth. When you look at the core intelligence of ATS, you will find Phage.

Without Phage, the world as we know it, would fall to ruin. So next time you see Phage, say thank you. Say thank you for making the whole modern world work.

Is this like saying Beetlejuice three times in a row?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Actually, mentioning hippies, it is known that Greek temple structures and colors came directly from India, where the hippi culture also came from.

Link me please. Last time I checked all cultures came from Africa. Rome was BOLD. Makes sense they used BOLD colors. Take a look at Africa today. Do they use pastels? No one during the Roman time knew anything about hues and all the colors of the spectrum.

The bolder the better was the Roman motto. The bigger the better was the Roman motto. These folks were direct descendants of the Gods. No way do they settle for pastels.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

Yea everything came from Africa.... 50,000 years ago. Roman culture is a direct export from Greece. Indeed as you can see they were Germaic and Celtic in origin, but they adopted the culture of the Greeks. And who did the Greeks get their culture from? Directly from the East.

In fact, most of the pre-Christian world religions were plays on each other.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Ultraviolet Light Uncovers Real Giotto / Discovery News

news.discovery.com...

This has made me think about a Thread here on ATS
about the black lights revealing thing's that are hidden besides the UV Light

Just in case some for got this Thread

Hidden Artifacts! (pics)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(black light Anomalies at 7:40 Min mark)
Klaus Dona talks with Bill Ryan (Feb 2010) : a Project Avalon video

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I read some where that they painted their buildings too. I'll bet it was beautiful.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow, who knew! What a sharp contrast. I had to laugh at one of the comments at the site: "Holy Manna From Hell!"

I noticed the red hair, which is something I'm interested in. I wonder, if red-hair is common in certain lineages or was it a very common trait at that time? It seems to have been a trait of the nobility and Da Vinci painted many of his subjects with red hair.

Queen Elizabeth had a natural red color hair. This red hair look was emulated by many of the nobility of the Elizabethan era, as was the fair hair ideal of an ideal woman! An Upper Class Elizabethan woman followed this fashion further and might even dye her hair yellow with a mixture of saffron, cumin seed, celandine and oil! Wigs were also commonly used - Queen Elizabeth had a wide variety of wigs and hair pieces - believed to number over eighty! These were often referred to as Periwigs.

Red-hair may be extinct in 50 years, I've read, because it usually takes two partners to produce red-haired offspring. I know some will disagree with this, but I'm referring to percentage of red-haired children. This color is not as common as once was.

I'm also very curious about the genetics of red hair. Oh, and Thor, Norseman God, also had red hair.

Edit: Maybe I should say two red-haired partners to genetically produce red-haired off-spring.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Onboard2]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
I read some where that they painted their buildings too. I'll bet it was beautiful.

I must of been a wonderful site to see I can Imagine Egypt & Sumar was Colorful Long ago ! Especially the Pyramids as they had all there Original Smoothed Stones and a The Illuminating Pyramid top piece

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Yea everything came from Africa.... 50,000 years ago. Roman culture is a direct export from Greece. Indeed as you can see they were Germaic and Celtic in origin, but they adopted the culture of the Greeks. And who did the Greeks get their culture from? Directly from the East.

In fact, most of the pre-Christian world religions were plays on each other.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm not a historian, but do think Greece was a huge influence on Roman culture. The Etruscans were great artists and I wish I knew what happened to them. Noone has yet desciphered their language. I'm not sure about the Celts. Romans considered them to be (Keltoi), barbarians.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

While the traditional view of Roman artists is that they often borrowed from, and copied Greek precedents (much of the Greek sculpture known today is in the form of Roman marble copies), more recent analysis has indicated that Roman art is a highly creative pastiche relying heavily on Greek models but also encompassing Etruscan, native Italic, and even Egyptian visual culture. Stylistic eclecticism and practical application are the hallmarks of much Roman art.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Wow, nice find. It really changes the look of the statues. From old looking to something more contemporary.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I didn't notice the little angel until you pointed it out. I wonder how much ancient Roman art that I have looked at that I didn't notice the cherubs

Thanks for making me aware of that

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Nice post! very interesting.

I seem to remember reading that some old British churches also used to be painted in bright colors like this, but I can't for the life of me find a link to any examples so I might have imagined it

[edit on 21-8-2010 by davespanners]

yep look at any stained glass windows on a church doesn't even have to be english!.

Also look at Hindu Buddhist religion and islam it's a human thing to adorn beauty with more beauty as is humaly possible!.

[edit on 21/8/2010 by survivor]

[edit on 21/8/2010 by survivor]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yeah the British came in and removed all the paint. They also claim Greece as their initial ancestry. They didn't want to claim Egypt due to the dark skin tones.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

Much like the son who renounces his father for being of a different culture, so too did Rome. Believe it or not but much of what we testify to be Roman was of late arrival much longer after the Roman people were born. The Romans were red head farmers. Red hair is a Gaelic trait. Everything about their early description testifies to them being German or Gaelic in origins. It's been a long time since I seriously read up on this, and I can PM you more on the matter if you ask specific questions, but basically at some point the Etruscans and other Greek cultures controlled the region. The Romans rebelled against their kings and chose to found a republic rather than the democracies of Greek tradition. Over a short time they built up fair laws and what is basically the same as the US constitution. With this new found unity under law, they built themselves an army and conquered the other Latin tribes, Etruscans included. After this the Romans decided upon a kind of confederacy republic styled government. To describe it simply, Rome was the city and the whole world was the suburbs and farms to fuel her. Where as we in the US divided the nation between 13 colonies with their own divisions on towns and farms, the Romans made the Roman empire essentially an extension of the Rome herself. The empire and her conquests served Rome and Rome alone. Many believed the city itself to be a god to worship and serve. From then on out Rome expanded. Eventually the size and power of this one city became corrupt. Eventually many cities became like Rome, and although Rome was still the chief city, other cities like Byzantium served like 2nd 3rd and 4th romes. Like organs of the main creature. In time Corruption created a monarch and at some points in time up to 4 kings existed for Rome, each leading one of these main cities. In due time the creature expanded, civilizing neighboring barbarians. In fact, by the time Rome fell, what could be called civilized and uncivilized was quite blurred. Rome civilized the people she abused, and expected them to remain servants of the holy city. The system came crashing down, much like a creature whose organs gains their own consciousnesses would. Rome decayed, cracked, and fell. And the dark aged followed

PM if you'd like to talk on this more. I'll conclude with simply stating that today, we are only 200 years ahead of where Rome left off. Even more sad? We are only 300 years ahead of Minoan civilization. That puts humanity a full 2200 years behind in terms of technological progress compared to recorded civilizations.

Where it relates to the topic is that color was important for such an empire. It is unsurprising to see "hippie" colors for such a nation, who copied its colors and gods from india.

Greek temples, for instance, colors were like this:

www.dailyfrappe.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I'll conclude with simply stating that today, we are only 200 years ahead of where Rome left off. Even more sad? We are only 300 years ahead of Minoan civilization. That puts humanity a full 2200 years behind in terms of technological progress compared to recorded civilizations.

Thank you, Gorman. I just discovered what happened to the Etruscans. It was those pesky Celts! I love the Vikings!www.ibiblio.org...

I just don't understand your statement that we are 2200 years behind in technological advancement! I know Rome had plumbing and so did the Etruscans, but were they driving? I suppose, if I looked at it from the point of view that we have only made great leaps and bounds in the last 100 years, then maybe you would be correct. Actually, I think we should all be flying in our own hovercraft.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

No. We are only 200 years ahead of where Rome left off and 300 years ahead where Minoans left off. IE, if they did not collapse, we would be 2200 years ahead of where we are today!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaganero
Yeah the British came in and removed all the paint. They also claim Greece as their initial ancestry. They didn't want to claim Egypt due to the dark skin tones.

You must be joking.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Okay Gorman. Thank you

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by reaganero

As seen by the statues, they had light skin tones. Greeks were dark skinned, but they did not come from Egypt. Both Greece and Egypt stole their cultural identities from India and Arabia. Egypt was ruled by Arabians, had Arabic and African people, and when the Souther African peoples took over, they continued the culture but were black. Egypt was ruled by everyone from the blackest of Africans to the lightest of Greeks.

In addition to that, Rome, because of its location and the heavy Greek presence, became darker skinned. But there were no blacks until contact with Carthage. At which point the area did not have an African population. Much like the contact between Africans Europeans and Native Americans created a new race in South America, the contact between Celts, Greeks, and Africans created a new race of Mediterraneans. Hence the people of the Mediterranean were never pure blooded anything. They have always been mixed racial groups of many peoples.

That's why their so strong. They were different. The strongest people are the most diverse.

Any civilizations of Northern Europe? Not much. All white. Any civilizations of southern Africa? Nope. All black.

Pure bloods don't build civilizations. Only diverse united people with limitations from their environment do. Because limitations and differences creates invention and unity. People who are all the same and well off where they are have no need for building civilizations.

Do try to learn history.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Great sculptures, terrible painters. looks like the Gods washed away the paint for a reason.
Regardless, it's time to look for hidden symbols within these sculptures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join