It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Judge Asks Doctors to Paralyze a Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This story is so unbelievable that it could only happen somewhere that strict Islamic rules and courts.

A judge has asked a Hospital (a place of healing) if they could damage a mans spine as a punishment for his part in paralyzing a man months before.

News Article

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals if they are willing to damage a man's spinal cord as punishment for a cleaver attack that left a 22-year-old paralysed. The victim, Abdul-Aziz al Mutairi, became paralysed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago. An unnamed man was sentenced to 14 months in prison for the assault, but released after serving only half that time. The shortened jail time has reportedly enraged Mr Mutairi's family. His 27-year-old brother Khaled said they want an equivalent punishment for the attacker and have appealed to a judge in northwestern Tabuk province. "We are asking for our legal right under Islamic law," the brother said.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow, I am torn on this one

on one hand, its simply not right...if you want to rise above the common criminal, you need to not act as they do...is society just a bunch of collective unoriginal thugs repeating what you do?

On the other hand though, that does seem exceptionally fitting.

Some random quotes that run through my head...

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” (Gandhi)

“Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you.” (Austin O’Malley)

I will withhold judgement on this...its savage...but its time to simply face facts..we are a savage species and sometimes savage means may be effective to keep the lowest forms from acting out...

Some people you can discuss the errors of their ways, others you have to just punch them...not everyone is a progressive thinking intellect whom can learn through wisdom.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sassyncute

Well, one could say "an eye for an eye" in this case.
I mean Western countries have paid excutioners to kill people (and some states still do).
I think the nature of the crime makes it less of a human rights issue for the West than other cases from the Arab world - I mean there's no misogyny or homophobia involved here. It's not a victimless crime.

What I do find distasteful is that the medical profession is being approached. Doesn't that violate medical oaths - to deliberately harm somebody?

It reminds me of a wider trend in some people's thinking that doctors should sterilize HIV-positive women and make other moral and judicial choices for society.

I'd say, leave the poor doctors out of it and let the victim swing the cleaver for his revenge.
But, as it's discussed in Shakespeare's "The Merchant of Venice", let him swing carefully. Any extra damage done with the cleaver will also demand justice in kind.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I suppose the perp is seriously wishing he had actually killed the victim. At least then he would be executed, eh?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Sometimes their justice seems to be adequate.

Sometimes not.

It seems adequate in this instance.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

A cleaver attack. Wow. Sounds like a Chav. An adequate prison sentence seems to be appropriate in this case. 20 years to life in exchange for the paralysis and the foot that was taken would seem like justice to just about everyone except the guy who lost his foot.

Saudi probably doesn't want to spend that kind of money to support the guys long term prison stay. They'll just have to raise the price of oil I guess. It would probably cost the government a lot less if they just whacked the cleaver's back a couple of dozen times with a baseball bat.

That would be a lot cheaper than surgery, don't you think?......and it would save all the rest of us a lot of cash at the pump.

Do they play baseball in Saudi? I heard they play polo on camel back.

LULZ

[edit on 21-8-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

The article doesn't state why the perpetrator was given such a light sentence to begin with. (14 months) I have to question the sanity of the cleaver weilding perp. While I find this despicable behavior I am appalled that people lack mercy for their fellow man and those who devote their lives to caring for others with compassion are being asked to carry out this inhumane atrocious and barberic act.

This is sickening.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Well guys, it seems we do not know the real and truthful reason for the cleaver attack. It could very well be that this man attacked the victim for sexual indiscretion with his wife and decided to attack the guy with a clever. Who know as all Saudi courts are closed to the public and whether lawyers are allowed is dubious in a lot of cases.

I do not think that paralyzing a man is good. Jail the man if guilty, for life. Increase his punishment, but to ask Doctors at hospitals if they could intentionally do this is way beyond normal.

I just do not get this Islamic brutality. I see no point in this. It is not justice anymore but pure revenge. Revenge is dodgy ground to start upon, where does it end. Revenge is not in the public's interest,. Justice is meant to be in the public's interest not the family who's brother is paralyzed.

I know its easy for me to sit here and say this but this type of behavior within the Islamic community is one of the reasons so many people find it hard to view their religion with anything but ridicule and disgust. Because as the News article says, this is being carried out under Islamic law.

I would seriously rather be put to death by injection that be paralyzed. That is no joke.

UNLESS like in England, you get a small blue disability badge to place in your car, meaning you get all the good parking spaces at supermarkets, right up close to the doors.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
those are good quotes

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” (Gandhi)

“Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you.” (Austin O’Malley)

if everyone expected equal treatment from and for each other then we would all have to be the same in every way,

inidividuality is imposible without differences,

the man should have simply gotten more time in jail, egg on the judges face for such a short sentence,

odds are that judge has sentenced at least one innocent man at some time during his serving,

should the judge be locked up for the same amount of time?

[edit on 21-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Human rights violation! Quick bomb them back to the stone age...

Oh that's right we don't actually care about that sort of thing.

Can you imagine this happening in Iran?

I'm sadly not surprised by the story and it seems quite sick, does noone take the moral highground anymore?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I became seriously nauseated after reading this last night and had difficulty going to sleep.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yes, this is sick.
And there are those who defend the immigration of these people into the US.

So after they paralyze this guy, how much will their gov. pay for his care for the rest of his life?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sassyncute
UNLESS like in England, you get a small blue disability badge to place in your car, meaning you get all the good parking spaces at supermarkets, right up close to the doors.

Here in the states we call that "handicapped parking." And you better not park in one if you merely think that you are handicapped. You can get fined hundreds of dollars if you park in one of those spots without the little wheelchair icon that hangs on your rear view mirror.

These handicapped parking spaces are always right in front of the doors. They are the best spots in the lot. And some lots have lots and lots of spots. One would think that they had to walk for miles and miles to get to the front door because of all the spots.

If I was going to be paralyzed I would want to be dead regardless if I had a handicapped parking pass or not. Yes it is not good to paralyze a man. Women are lucky, they just get hanged.

LULZ

edited to add......I think I'm finally getting the hang of it!

[edit on 22-8-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

odds are that judge has sentenced at least one innocent man at some time during his serving,

should the judge be locked up for the same amount of time?

[edit on 21-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

Very good point.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

"on one hand, its simply not right...if you want to rise above the common criminal, you need to not act as they do...is society just a bunch of collective unoriginal thugs repeating what you do?

On the other hand though, that does seem exceptionally fitting.
"

I'm with you here. It seems as if it may come down to a personal issue, meaning depending on the effect it has on you influences your choice.

If my mom was the victim, I would want an eye for an eye...if its the guy down the street, I think I may want procedure to prevail. Kinda sick decision.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 40luv

This incident happened in a fight. We don't know who started it or what transpired. The perp hit the victim in the back with the cleaver. Perhaps the victim was trying to kill him. We don't know.

Do you really think that given the choice to intentionally paralize someone in retribution given the opportunity to seriously think about it that you would say to do it?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think that we should withhold judgement and adhere to a policy of political correctness and justify this judges decision on the grounds of moral equivalentcy.

The disturbing thing is that there are plenty on someones on this site that will totally agree wih what I just wrote.

top topics

join