It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny 95 lb woman breaks sumo weight lifting record, by almost 15,000 lbs!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
That's one tough little woman!

She took on a weight lifting record only attempted by big, brawny, manly men and put them all to shame.

Ninety-Five Pound Woman Breaks Men's Dead Lifting Guinness World Record by nearly 15,000 Pounds

Athletes who heard the rumor said it couldn't be done. How could a 5-foot woman, barely weighing in at 95 pounds compete with professional weightlifting men to set a new world record? On August 14, at St. Emydius Gym in San Francisco, Dr. Thienna Ho showed them how as she set the new Guinness World Record for the heaviest sumo deadlift in one hour.

"If a 200 pound man did this, he would have to lift nearly 100 pounds more than 1,000 times in an hour. The man who broke this world record in 2007, Eamonn Keane, did 731 repetitions of 95 pounds."

The world record was 90,058 pounds in one hour; Thienna achieved 104,846 pounds and three ounces in one hour.

This isn't her 1st world record either, this one makes four Guinness worlds records she has under her belt.

Whoever coined the the term "the weaker sex" certainly never met this woman.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Having never encountered the term "sumo weight lifting", I was expecting a woman to have dead-lifted over 15,000lbs at one time. Picturing this feat was difficult.

Then I read the article. Impressive none-the-less.

[grammatical edit]

[edit on 20-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Is it me or does bouncing the wieght like that seem like cheating... Dead lift i thought meant it came to a dead stop???

still, her stamina is indeed impressive...

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I believe that mat under the weight would deaden the bounce not help at all or Guinness would not have allowed it. Very impressive stamina.
Zindo

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Great job but thats more about stamina than strength.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
these were the same women that sniped our GI's and worked the artillery's. i don't know if i can do that for 10 minutes without my legs buckling.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

Yeah, I thought she picked up more than 15,000 pounds for 1 rep too. The actual record isn't that impressive too me but congrats to her.

Women are actually stronger than men per pound of muscle. I've meet Olympic style weightlifters who I outweighed by 90+ pounds (i'm very lean btw) who were stronger than me.

new topics

top topics

join