It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachelors Grove Cemetery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Supposedly the most haunted place in the world and I have a few experiences there myself for when I lived in the area back during my teen years.

I've stayed the night on Halloween there when I was 18 or so (wow like 10 years ago). I've never seen stuff in the actual cemetery when I was there.

There are reports of a Ghost house appearing in the woods, ghosts seen in the cemetery, a ghost hitchhiker on the road outside it, and a lot of weird things.

All I ever seen was a bunch of scared kids talking crap while I was drinking.

The cemetery is VERY old, and all of the remains have been destroyed nearly 10 times over. Its sad going there, it was just desecrated so many times.

Its said that a lot of Satanic folks go there to sacrifice stuff, cops have found all sorts of sacrificial animals, and even a few human sacrifices (dont worry, cops caught those weirdos)

I have an OLD picture I took when I was there, it was of a tree stump that was struck by lightning, i took the picture on accident. When the film was developed, you could distinctively tell that the tree stump was in the exact shape of an angel. It was a spitting image of an angel with wings. Went back and the stump did not resemble an angel at all. Was a week or two later, but bared no resemblance to the photo.

Another instance was when I was around 17 or so, We were across the street from it drinking in a forest preserve parking lot. The road was gravel as I was setting my beer in it and twisting it into the gravel to hold it in place. Well I left my pager there, and the next morning when I went to check to see if it was in the parking lot... The entire parking lot was ash-fault.. No gravel or stone to be found anywhere near the forest preserve drive... Creepy huh!?! I totally remember kicking rocks at this chick Kristen and throwing rocks at trees, and I even did a small burn out in my Chevelle throwing rocks at my friend Jeremy's car... Yet it was ALL blacktop when I went back, not fresh like they did it that morning.. But blacktop that was there for a year or so.....

Anyhow, is here more info on this creepy place:

Bachelors Grove Cemetery is well known as one of the most haunted places in all of Chicagoland. This small desecrated graveyard has more unexplained paranormal activities than any other cemetery worldwide.

One of the most famous sightings is the woman sitting on a tombstone, this picture shows the transparent image of a woman sitting on a small checkered tombstone looking out into the woods. This photo was taken by Jude Felz and published in the Chicago Sun-Times.

(image of the transparent woman sitting on the tombstone)

This photo was taken during an investigation of Bachelor's Grove cemetery near Chicago by the Ghost Research Society (GRS). On August 10, 1991, several members of of the GRS were at the cemetery, a small, abandoned graveyard on the edge of the Rubio Woods Forest Preserve, near the suburb of Midlothian, Illinois.

Reputed to be one of the most haunted cemeteries in the U.S., Bachelor's Grove has been the site of well over 100 different reports of strange phenomena, including apparitions, unexplained sights and sounds, and even glowing balls of light.

GRS member Mari Huff was taking black and white photos with a high-speed infrared camera in an area where the group had experienced some anomalies with their ghost-hunting equipment. The cemetery was empty, except for the GRS members. When developed, this image emerged: what looks like a lonely-looking young woman dressed in white sitting on a tombstone. Parts of her body are partially transparent and the style of the dress seems to be out of date.

Here are some videos of the place:

Enjoy.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
hrmm, not much interest huh? I guess maybe this place isnt that well known to some of the good folks here?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hey there Blackout,

I don't think it's a case of 'not much interest' ... it's more likely down to the fact that people on ATS have seen / read / experienced many things and tend to be more discerning.

I have just watched all the videos that you included and there really is nothing earth-shattering there.

As someone who run a paranormal investigastion group myself ... I find it quite worrying that the last video was taken by people claiming to be paranormal investigators ... as such they should be well aware that what appears to be orbs on the photographs are more likely to be bugs in a location like this (especially one that has a body of water present ... mosquitoes would be plentiful at dusk) ... and it was very disappointing to see that the smoke on a couple of pictures is exactly that ... smoke ... coming from the cameraman or directly behind the cameraman.

On one of the other videos that showed some mist amongst the trees ... we can see that it is a hot sunny day and we know that there is a pond at the location therefore the chances are the mist is caused by water vapour.

That said it looks like there has been some bad behaviour at the cemetery and it would be very understandable that the spirits there cannot rest.

Do you know why the cemetary was abandoned in the first place ... I'd be very interested to know some of the backstory to this place ... including more details of the real house that was once there and now shows itself as an apparition ... can you tell us who lived there ... how old it was ... how long since it was destroyed and how ?

When was the fence erected around the cemetary and why was the gate apparently never closed ... this may have prevented some of the damage caused ?

Details like this would add depth to this thread which does have the potential to be of interested to those who enjoy accounts of the paranormal.

Look forward to reading the details.

Woody

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I grew up in Midlothian and heard many of the legends of Bachelors Grove. The house that disappears and blue light, had this story.

There was a caretaker of the property, after the owner died, who would walk the property looking for tresspassers. Apparently one night he came across a few and hung them in trees along that very same gravel drive.

Friends of the people who were hung burned down the house while the caretaker was supposedly hiding inside. He still walks the grounds as a ghost searching for tresspassers. The light from his lantern is blueish in color. The house itself reappears from time to time.

Someone above mentioned mist, but its more like waist deep ground fog. Yes there is a small pond there that is surrounded by very steep slopes that rise a couple feet above the surface. A couple people have supposedly drowned in it, following the blue light according to their friends.

This was the supposed reasoning for fencing off the area. I myself have spent the night there a few times but never saw anything. That was in the 70s. We had heard of witches covens performing sacrifices there even back then.

There was another story of a car that broke down outside of it with a flat tire. The husband got out to change it while the wife waited inside. After a long wait she got out to find that pieces of her husband were nailed to the car. She jumped into the car and drove to the Midlothian police station, and ran inside to get help. When she came out with a few officers to show them...all that was left were the nail holes!

Its nice to see that the Bachelors Grove stories haven't ended. Will you be putting one up about Ressurection Mary or should I?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I dont think anyone really knows when the house was built, the area was private property, and the graves were for friends and relatives. There are only 12-15 of them. Supposedly the house was burned down in the early 1900s. There have been hand drawn sketches of it by different witnesses at different times. They were at different angles and all seem to match!

I spent a lot of time there and never found a foundation. I wanted to research the stories to find out if they were true or not. The drownings happened that was why the fence went up. But the terrain is rough and not easily fenced in. People constantly cut the locks and chains.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I remember reading about the phantom house, and I'm sure I saw some pictures of it somewhere (might even have been here) I should probably go and look and see if I can find them

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by redeyedwonder

I dont think anyone really knows when the house was built, the area was private property, and the graves were for friends and relatives. There are only 12-15 of them. Supposedly the house was burned down in the early 1900s. There have been hand drawn sketches of it by different witnesses at different times. They were at different angles and all seem to match!

I spent a lot of time there and never found a foundation. I wanted to research the stories to find out if they were true or not. The drownings happened that was why the fence went up. But the terrain is rough and not easily fenced in. People constantly cut the locks and chains.

Hey there and thanks for the info ... I'm afraid I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to research ... especially where the paranormal is concerned.

This sounds like something from the pages of a classic horror novel ... shame I'm in the UK I'd absolutely love to investigate this place. I suspected the cemetary may be a private one linked to the house as the graves seemed few and far between.

You mentioned that the house burned down in the early 1900's ... this isn't very long ago in the grand scheme of things ... I wonder if anyone has ever been to the local library to check old newspaper stories ... I'm sure this event would have warranted a few columns at least ... there may even be photographs.

Failing that, old land records would hold some juicy info as far as ownership is concerned.

I would be like a dog with a bone if this place was on my doorstep ... btw one of my first thoughts when I saw these videoes in the OP was that dark witchcraft had been practiced there (even recently) ... as a 'solitary' witch myself I can say that this was likely done by youngsters after watching something like the movie 'The Craft' because the sign that have been left behind show that the culprits didn't know what they were doing.

I shall keep checking this thread to see if more info comes forward ... lot of potential here if the groundwork is covered.

Woody

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Can't seem to find those pics, the only ones I can find on a google search are not the ones I saw before and seem to be part of one of the videos posted earlier, but I'm sure I have seen them quite recently, there were two pics side by side, almost like a comparison in one there was no house, in the other there was. It was very clear and quite spooky! Darn my rubbish memory!

I'll keep looking but maybe someone else remembers seeing these pictures and may know where they can be located?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I knew there was a site devoted to the history of BG, and here it is...

Source

Many have seen it for themselves and many have heard its legends. For some, it is a place of happiness. Where family would once have picnics and swim in its pond, remembering their lost loved ones. For others, it is a place of sorrow and amazement. Where people see balls of light floating among them and human forms appear only to vanish before their eyes.

Come take a tour of one of the most talked about cemeteries in the world. Discover for yourself how much there is to know and cherish about this most desecrated and historical cemetery in all of Illinois. Learn what kind of people are buried here and how they helped form the surrounding communities. Even find out what you can do to help save one of the most historical landmarks in all of Illinois.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Thank-you very much indeed for that ... I just took a quick look and it looks like it's loaded with info ... plus pics ... even saw one of the house.

I've just saved the site to my favourites so that I can go back to it later and have a good read.

Thanks again. Woody

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

It used to be one of my favorite Halloween stops back in the day, we had many a party there back then. Now that I read this I may go back to visit, but its patroled alot more from what one of my friends who lives nearby told me. It really is a creepy place at night!

Glad I was able to help...

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Great ... if you go back remember to take some pics ... you never know you might get lucky !

Woody

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is one of the most haunted cemeteries in the US but not "the most haunted place in the world". I think there a plenty of locations that have much more haunting activity.

I also grew up within 10 minutes of the cemetery and have been in there several times but some of the stories posted here about the cemetery read more like urban legend then actual history. I am sorry but the story about the guy nailed to the hood of his car after getting a flat is ridiculous, and then his wife drives to the police station with him on the hood? She didn't see this happening??? It's the hood of the car where is she?

This is the official history of the land, this includes history of settlements and cemetery. This history helps because it is written by someone who is writing from a historical perspective rather then a paranormal one.
www.bachelorsgrove.com...

This gives the history of the paranormal.
www.prairieghosts.com...

But if anyone gets the chance it is a great little night trip, just be careful. It is close to residential neighborhood who don't particularly like kids parking on their street and hopping into the woods and given it's attraction after dark is watch constantly by local law enforcement.

One other thing not mentioned by either of these articles is that during the mob wars of the 1920s, Al Capone and his gang used the out-of-the-way pond to dump the bodies of rival gang members and others who had gotten in the way of his business.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Where's the picture now? Why haven't you posted said picture? Scanners are CHEAP.

top topics

join