Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

How come I can't drink a beer or two on the ride home?? *Please read entire OP before posting*

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Disagree.

By that logic we could never drink in a mate's house because we might "distract" them from some task which might cause death.

"Hey DK, don't drink in here. I'm making chips and your distraction could mean I set the house on fire..."

Deliberately chose a scenario including fire since you mention your (ex)profession.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Sorry but your apartment is not going sixty miles an hour on the same road as children. Your house catches fire and you leave. You hit someone and you are dead. Your house fire analogy is very lame. Your conscience and not sleeping so what you are going to just stand there and let the fire consume you because you set the grease on fire?

Bad logic.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Someone may need to clarify the following (cuz I'm using my cell phone and unable to quickly research it), but it likely is a case of taking an honest law - against drnkn and drvn - and pushing it as far as possible, to generate revenue and prevent *potential* hypothetical problems that would *possibly* endanger others.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In Texas, when I got here, it was legal to drive and drive. Literally with the beer in your hand. Where I came from, Illinois, it was illegal to have a six-pack in the trunk with one can (or more missing).

As a former alcohol and drug counselor, I would say that you are focusing too much on your personal problem.

In answer to your personal dilemma, the answer is quite simple. The laws are made to protect other people, not you. It is called public safety.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Aliensun]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

"Being a retired Firefighter I can tell you first hand that distraction at the wrong time creates accidents. Its all good if no incidents happen, but you get two or more outside incidents (someone cuts you off, at the same time someone else is entering the road from a parking lot) and you are at the some time distracted form your inebriated passenger and you then have an accident. Same reason why you should not use you phone while you drive."

---First and foremost, Thank You for your service!

I agree that distractions do cause accidents, but I dont understand how whether a passenger is drinking or not is going to be a factor in the situation you described. In the instance you have created we could just as easily replace "inebriated passenger" with "fussy baby in a car-seat". Are you suggesting women should not drive with thier children? How about when your teenager signs one of those contracts stating if they ever are in a "situation" they will call you for a ride home? With your logic parents should not be able to drive there "inebriated" kids home.

"People do not take driving seriously because for the most part its damn easy. Its when TSHTF is when its not so easy. Most people unless they race vehicles will never have that skill tested. Test that skill when there are no distractions and you will still more than likely (your average dumbass) will have an accident. add a distraction at the right time and its assured to happen."

---this is a broad generalization, although it probably fits for 50% of population, I am sure the other 50% who have lost loved ones in automobile wrecks dont treat it as such a game. No one was looking to "test any skill" in the OP ,I was an adult tired and sweaty being driven home from an honest days work to a shower and dinner, and a few more beers.

"Take driving very seriously"

--- Great advice

"and don't drink in someones vehicle"

--- I am still of the belief that this decision should be left ultimately in the hands of The Sober Driver.

Thank You again for your service,

Respectfully,

~meathead

[edit on 21-8-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here's an idea. Not bad actually.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

"In Texas, when I got here, it was legal to drive and drive. Literally with the beer in your hand. Where I came from, Illinois, it was illegal to have a six-pack in the trunk with one can (or more missing)."

---yes it does depend on where you are, which adds a little more hypocracy to the law in my opinion.

As a former alcohol and drug counselor, I would say that you are focusing too much on your personal problem.

--- I have tried to when possible steer the thread away from my alcoholism. Sincerely, I only included it into the OP so I could be completely forthcoming as to how I developed my viewpoint. Your proffessional psycho-analysis was not asked for, and too be honest in my opinion is waaaay off topic. I do thank you for your concern though.

"In answer to your personal dilemma, the answer is quite simple."
--- perhaps in the wording of my title by asking the question in the first person it might seem like it is a dilemma of mine, I assure you I do not lose sleep over this issue.

"The laws are made to protect other people, not you. It is called public safety."

---I have a problem with the logic involved here. If the laws dont protect me, how can they protect you? who is the public if not me AND you? Remember it all depends on who is speaking , "me" can easily become "you". But thats another thread I think.

Too be honest I am just looking for other peoples opinions on questioning the validity of this law.

I do not expect to argue people into agreeing with me, and even if others find fault in my views, by having this dialogue it helps us to meet somewhere in the middle, even if it is only agreeing to disagree

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Id rather strain my own urine through an old tube sock and let it sit for 3 days and drink it warm than to drink that poisen

Cheers!

~meathead

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Non-alcoholic beer tastes like crap. Dealcoholized beer is actually pretty good.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I feel for ya man, laws are meant to keep us caged in to the box of life. just as pot is not legal when we alllllll know it would not make a killer outta anyone...if anything it would make you think and get couch locked.

its just their way of controlling society. I hope peace comes to you

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah man, not sure how to approach this either. Don't advocate drinking and driving at all although back in the day (I am 50) we got away with a lot more and most of us, are fine and........never had a wreck.
The more they scare us (into mindless scenarios) the more we over-compensate. It's almost like reverse psychology!

Not sure if society as a whole, is just out to instill fear! I personally never rode a bicycle with a helmet and..........I also ran with scissors and.....my mom never inspected my Halloween candy and, I am still here!

But most rely on society to dictate what's safe, what's acceptable and what's legal! What a farse!

I mean, we should all have a good head on our shoulders although society makes it sound like we need to refer to an owners manual half the time but as far as drinking (while being a passenger) I don't know what's wrong with that.

I have to think it's about control which then boils down to .......revenue (tickets, fines, attorney fees etc).

Hell, having a seat belt on should be an independent decision (knowing full well, that should you break your back, the other vehicle isn't gonna pay for your pain or disability) so the more I write the more I think it's about control.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Hey Mike, I am wondering about the legal limit in your area. Maybe find out just how 1 or 2 beers in your system reads on an alcohol test. Perhaps in your body , 1 or 2 might not exceed the legal limit. I am not trying to encourage drinking and driving, but in your case it is my opinion that a single beer should not impair you or a driver. But still the open container issue remains. Maybe a single uno beer is the middle ground here, in a can you could crush and hide upon being pulled over. That is if a single beer does not put you over the limit legally.

Id rather strain my own urine through an old tube sock and let it sit for 3 days and drink it warm than to drink that poisen

In response to intrepid's reply, there is a "non-alcoholic" and "dealcholoized" beer? Did not know that, unless he is being a little wise

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Spec,

I Would not drink and drive. If i know i have to drive i Dont drink.Period.

The legal limit here is .08 its not really an issue for me though because if I was pulled over and tested it would read 0.00 .

Respectfully,

~meathead

Ps for the love of g_d ! man, please...Call me meathead

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In my limited understanding of this law, it is illegal to have an open container of alcohol within the confines and/or reach of the driver of an automobile.

The exception to this rule is if the person carrying/transporting/consuming an open container of alcohol is the passenger on a commercial transport vehicle.

Commercial boats, arilines, buses, taxi's, and limousines are examples of this.

That being said, if your boss were to register his vehicle as a Commercial vehicle, for the stated purpose of transporting employee's to/from jobs, and you were sitting in the back, I'm pretty sure there is not much an officer could do (although I guarantee he would TRY, that doesn't mean it will fly legally).

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Mike this law is really not for you but has to be applied in all cases.

For one a person even an adult that is driving and not drunk.....yet.... could have one and then another and then another untill they were drunk. So to stop that no open beer. Young drivers as well if they had a car load of drunk kids could have some jerk yank the wheel from him or something stupid after setting in the car for hours drinking.

Your are open about you thing here and respects for that but you do sound like most hard drinkers I have known. You shouldnt put your friend in a position where he would get a ticket and should know this. Sounds like you are taking advantage even if or because your a good worker. Drinkers I have known up close are very inconsiderate...like baby with bottle, but babies are cute.

By the way the guy picks you up for work? Did you lose your driving card due to drinking?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phre0nBurn
In my limited understanding of this law, it is illegal to have an open container of alcohol within the confines and/or reach of the driver of an automobile.

The exception to this rule is if the person carrying/transporting/consuming an open container of alcohol is the passenger on a commercial transport vehicle.

Commercial boats, arilines, buses, taxi's, and limousines are examples of this.

That being said, if your boss were to register his vehicle as a Commercial vehicle, for the stated purpose of transporting employee's to/from jobs, and you were sitting in the back, I'm pretty sure there is not much an officer could do (although I guarantee he would TRY, that doesn't mean it will fly legally).

This 'law' only came about (I believe) in 1998.
www.cga.ct.gov...

So..........this is more about more control from the government than health issues. That's all this is.

We'd get stopped back in the 70's not only with empty beer cans thrown al around our back seats but, with a joint in our ashtrays. Nothing was done.
Again, not avocating this but, it's not as bad as they make it seem.
Yes, drinking and driving is effed up. No one should do that. But it goes a little beyond that.

This isn't about 'us' knowing better in 2010 (for I can hear that argument) but think about it. It's not 'illegal' to drive a drunk passenger. So why can't they drink then?

Oh give it a few more years. If you don't dot your I's.....you'll end up with a fine! Trust! That's what this society is all about. CONTROL and money!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I let my uncle drink in the car when we went fishing. I got pulled over and ended up with a ticket for open intoxicant. It was 4 points on my record 6 points is a drunk driving.

I took it to court and won. The cop never showed up and the judge dropped the charge.

I got luckey my insurance would have sky rocketed.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Did I lose my driving card due to drinking?

No, it was multiple misuse of plates that earned me a 4 year ban. The suspension and the job are long in the past, thankfully the friend remains.

I did not put my friend in any position, We had a discussion about it and he agreed with me he was and is an adult and fully liable for his own actions. I agreed to pay any fines if any were incurred, but it never came to that.

As far as being an inconsiderate drunk, I hope that a review of my posts in this and other threads would assure you I am anything but
that.

~meathead

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The funny thing is that here in Connecticut the law is that you can not have ANY open container (drinking) in the front be it soda or beer.

However the cops don't care and i will have to agree with Alethea on this one.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
because drinking and driving is ILLEGAL, irresponsible, dangerous and has a very very long track record of being a major cause in RTA's and deaths by dangerous driving. Drinking even a couple of beers diminishes your reactions and your world perception, your rationality and in turn your ability to drive a car responsibly and safely. Anybody who has ever drunk alcohol should really be able to realise this.

you cannot argue with that no matter what spin you try to put on it

MooseVernel

edit: after posting my comment i actually read the entire post..sorry OP...very lazy of me i know but its late so just disregard everything i just said.....unless your thinking of drink driving..then you should probably listen to what i just said

sorry again OP

[edit on 21-8-2010 by moosevernel]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join