It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come I can't drink a beer or two on the ride home?? *Please read entire OP before posting*

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Simple solution... Check your local laws and see if your buddy can get a chauffeur license. that way you can enjoy your frosty beverage "in the back seat" and your friend can rest assured he is obeying the law. if you offered to pay for the endorsement it might make both your lives easier.

Prost,
Usuallyfaded

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Now that is a sensible and excellent law! I love it!

I think i want to move to Japan!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
While being sober myself I have driven people that are drinking or drunk. The are a diversion - they get mouthy, shout out the window drawing attention to the vehicle, get sick, etc. Its difficult for the driver to keep their mind on driving while someone is consuming alcohol. So I do agree with the law of no open containers in the car. And I no longer will volunteer to be a desiginated driver.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I was in Texas several years ago(possibly 15 years) and it was o.k. for the passengers to drink , not the driver. Not sure if that is still the case. Anybody from Texas please help me out. Not much else to say except if the driver is'nt drinking I don't see the problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
As with the above poster, when I lived in GA, about 6 years ago, you could drink in a car, well obviously as long as you are not driving. I am going to have to look that up to see if it is still that way.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thank you for your post,
I agree people who are drunk can and may be a distraction to the driver. I hope this thread was not a factor in your decision to no longer drive intoxicated friends home.

But

I think you are missing the actual point of the thread, which is: why is it, an adult on his way home from work cannot drink a beer or two if they are not operating the vehicle? It is a far cry from a pack of rowdy young adults just getting out of the bar.

And I would like to point out again :

It is not illegal to drive around with a car full of reckless drunkards.

but.

It is illegal to have a passenger in the vehicle consume alcohol
no matter what thier blood alcohol level comes back as...

Thanks again for your post,

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
While being sober myself I have driven people that are drinking or drunk. The are a diversion - they get mouthy, shout out the window drawing attention to the vehicle, get sick, etc. Its difficult for the driver to keep their mind on driving while someone is consuming alcohol. So I do agree with the law of no open containers in the car. And I no longer will volunteer to be a desiginated driver.

I think the problem might be that your friends are jerks when they drink.

Not everyone is a vomiting belligerent drunk.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As of 2007 you can even drink and drive in Mississppi as long as you stay below .08 and I believe seven states allow drinking in a car as a passenger.

I see nothing wrong with having a beer in a car as long as your not driving. Especially on long trips.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The laws vary state to state, I am not sure about Texas or GA but i live in Connecticut, and I assure you it is an offense here as well as Mass.

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well sir its legal if you do not get caught.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by humbleseeker

good point but I think it brings us full circle with the OP:

Why should I have to worry about being caught ?

What has been done wrong?

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I doubt the OP is capable of getting "drunk", his tolerance for this substance is probably quite high (not a pun).

Sadly, even if you never get "fined" your friend could run the risk of having his car impounded and his license taken from him and you cannot justify any action on your part if it effects another. What I am saying is that it is a lesser evil if you only effect yourself and not another.

I do hope that while you do seem to be an affirmed alcoholic that you take the time to realize how this disease will take you in the long run. The scaring on your liver, the inability to produce bile and subsequently the loss of an ability to produce red blood cells is an terrible way to die.

Have you begun any symptoms of alcohol poisoning yet? Is your skin flaking off because of the lack of natural oils? (your sweating may be worse on you than you can know) Do you have fatty liver syndrome or gastritis (beer belly)?

I do hope you reconsider your position on this issue. Your boss/friend does not deserve to be put in such a position and you owe it to another at least to realize that by being in the vehicle with an open container you are indeed breaking the law.

This reminds me of the argument that smokers have, where they feel they should be allowed to smoke anywhere they want. Thankfully I live in a city where smoking is prohibited even in a bar; all of our restaurants and public buildings are off-limits for smokers. Why? Because it effects others.

I do hope you get help. I have watched alcoholics die. I have cared for alcoholics when they were bedridden and screaming in pain. My Grandfather died this way and my Father is currently dying this way, although now my Father had half his colon removed and half his esophagus, he has had blood transfusions repeatedly and time is not on his side, he is 66-years-old.

The thing is, it is just beer right? No, all alcohol is alcohol, and how it will kill you is the same regardless of the type of alcohol. Alcohol is accumulative in its damage to your Systems. Every beer adds to the damage, every beer!

You can stop now and find yourself living longer and dying with less pain. You can take every dollar you would have spent and do good things for others. Please take to heart when you put others at risk by your selfish actions.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
America's got some weird laws man. A wonderful country, but weird laws. I don't see the problem. If its legal to bring a drunk person home after a party, what damage can it make when the passenger drinks a beer or two. As long as the person doesn't get violent or crazy or something.

And btw, do as in Denmark. The driver exhale into a alcoholometer.

I say, go and have your beers, thirsty man. There´s nothing like a beer after a hard day of work. You deserve it!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I use to drink, my friends drank - I quit 25 years ago and I no longer have close friends that consume alcohol - I came to the realization that it was ruining my life. Sorry if that offends those of you who do drink but thats just the way I prefer to live my life now.

No I don't believe everyone that drinks becomes a jerk -but on the other hand a lot of them most certainly do. Alcohol is responsible for a lot of negative things in life just as drug abuse is. How many couples have a good relationship when one or both drink too much or to often. I was raised by an alcoholic - I was abused because of it. Bash me if you must, but think about it and look at the stastics first.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
But don't die young! Remember your fruit and vitamines 2. Health is also important. Drinking everyday is a killer!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

"I doubt the OP is capable of getting "drunk", his tolerance for this substance is probably quite high (not a pun). "
-
---You are correct. I refrain from hard alcohol so i rarely get drunk anymore. I would have to drink about 20 of your average budwiesers to "feel" drunk.. That is however not the point.
"Sadly, even if you never get "fined" your friend could run the risk of having his car impounded and his license taken from him and you cannot justify any action on your part if it effects another. What I am saying is that it is a lesser evil if you only effect yourself and not another. "
-
---Again you make perfect sense. However me and my friend have both since moved on from our previous employment, he is no longer in danger from my disease.
"I do hope that while you do seem to be an affirmed alcoholic that you take the time to realize how this disease will take you in the long run. The scaring on your liver, the inability to produce bile and subsequently the loss of an ability to produce red blood cells is an terrible way to die."

"Have you begun any symptoms of alcohol poisoning yet? Is your skin flaking off because of the lack of natural oils? (your sweating may be worse on you than you can know) Do you have fatty liver syndrome or gastritis (beer belly)? "
-
---While this is not the direction I was hoping the thread to go I do appreciate your concern.
"I do hope you reconsider your position on this issue. Your boss/friend does not deserve to be put in such a position and you owe it to another at least to realize that by being in the vehicle with an open container you are indeed breaking the law. "
-
---I do realize that, and that is why I made this thread.

"This reminds me of the argument that smokers have, where they feel they should be allowed to smoke anywhere they want. Thankfully I live in a city where smoking is prohibited even in a bar; all of our restaurants and public buildings are off-limits for smokers. Why? Because it effects others. "
-
---My friend gave me consent, I fail to see how this is the same.
"I do hope you get help. I have watched alcoholics die. I have cared for alcoholics when they were bedridden and screaming in pain. My Grandfather died this way and my Father is currently dying this way, although now my Father had half his colon removed and half his esophagus, he has had blood transfusions repeatedly and time is not on his side, he is 66-years-old.

The thing is, it is just beer right? No, all alcohol is alcohol, and how it will kill you is the same regardless of the type of alcohol. Alcohol is accumulative in its damage to your Systems. Every beer adds to the damage, every beer! "
-
--- I am much better then I was, I appreciate your concern, sincerely. but again this is off topic. I laid out the alcoholism not as the subject of the thread, but a means to help others understand how my opinion was formed, in the spirit of good debate and honesty.
"You can stop now and find yourself living longer and dying with less pain. You can take every dollar you would have spent and do good things for others. Please take to heart when you put others at risk by your selfish actions."
-
--- I am afraid the actual intent of the thread was lost on you. My good will to you and a smile
and a Hug for you to give to your Father, Thank you again for your kind considerations.

Starred for your compassion,

Respectfully,

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

"I use to drink, my friends drank - I quit 25 years ago and I no longer have close friends that consume alcohol - I came to the realization that it was ruining my life. Sorry if that offends those of you who do drink but thats just the way I prefer to live my life now.

No I don't believe everyone that drinks becomes a jerk -but on the other hand a lot of them most certainly do. Alcohol is responsible for a lot of negative things in life just as drug abuse is. How many couples have a good relationship when one or both drink too much or to often. I was raised by an alcoholic - I was abused because of it. Bash me if you must, but think about it and look at the stastics first."

I Knew before I posted this it would be a touchy subject for alot of people for differant reasons. Thats probably why it sat in my wordpad for so long.
I wish I could hug you but instead I will only say,and I know its true....:

Its not Your fault.

And I dont think anyone is looking to bash you here.
Much respect for baring a bit of your soul I am sorry this really wasnt what this thread is supposed to be about.

Respectfully,

~meathead

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Wow, everything is more expensive there ! We say "3 sheets to the Wind !"

Thanks to the Poster for this interesting study of something we accept without question, which was once quite different.

Excellent mental exercise. I feel we should do more of these. love.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think the reason for the law is pretty apparent, it is merely a way to fine people and generate revenue.

I think the simple fact that a passenger can be blackout drunk and it is legal to drive them around pretty much negates all of the arguments for how distracting (or incompetent in the event that the driver lost control) a drinking passenger would be.

I have a friend from St. Louis who was astounded when informed most places in the US do not allow passengers to drink in the car, so not all areas have this absurd law.

What really astounds me is one night when a buddy who was 20 was driving me home from the bar because I did not want to drive drunk he was pulled over. I had a 12 pack at my feet to go have a few beers with some friends. we were informed that it was illegal for someone under the age of 21 to drive a car with alcohol in it, even if accompanied by someone 21 who owned the alcohol.

WTF?! has anyone else encountered this law. It seems to me to be along the same lines as no passengers drinking, a way to generate revenue from people with alcohol problems.

These seem to be completely arbitrary reasons to fine people with alcohol problems. Its economic prohibition.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Interesting topic and lots of good points already brought up. I agree to question the difference between driving a buzzed or drunk passenger home and driving a passenger that's drinking while getting buzzed or drunk home. The thought process of having a problem drunk doesn't make sense as then it should be illegal to drive drunk passengers period. The thought process of what happens if the sober driver becomes incapacitated doesn't make sense either since it's legal to only have a driver with no passengers. It appears to mostly be a trust issue without much logic especially with the chauffeurs license and a physical barrier making it legal.

Taking this a step further, what's the difference between being allowed a beer an hour and then legally driving home. That's assuming a .08 BAC and a generalization depending on various factors of course. If a beer lasts a driver an hour what's the difference where it's drank?

Like a lot of other laws, rules and regulations, in my opinion, we did it to ourselves. Maybe someone older than me could verify the dates, but there was a time in the 50's, 60's or 70's when it wasn't illegal to drink and drive. The lack of laws, self control and common sense was abused by enough that it was deemed to need control. I don't know what actually led to the laws although I'll assume drunk driving accidents and deaths. Someone with more knowledge would be appreciated in this matter.

Back to the original question, is it logical and reasonable? Not in my mind with the information presented, allowed and accepted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join