It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Speed guns don't work,' says police superintendent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

'Speed guns don't work,' says police superintendent

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A senior policewoman clocked speeding is challenging the charge by claiming that the speed gun used by her own force was not accurate.
If she wins, it could open the floodgates to thousands of appeals from motorists across the country who have been caught using the devices.
Superintendent Helen Chamberlain, 43, was recorded driving at 79mph on a road with a 50mph limit.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.thisisnottingham.co.uk...

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well well well.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

I hope she does win this appeal and the millions of motorists across the country caught for speeding, challenge their tickets. I believe that speeding is a very serious issue don't get me wrong, but the bureaucratic *snip* storm would serve her right for her ridiculous hypocrisy.

She allowed her own police force to use this equipment, even with her concerns, and only decided to do something when she was caught. I think you will all agree 29mph over the speed limit is a serious violation, and more than that, it is unlikely to fall within the margin of error for the speed clocking device...

www.thisisnottingham.co.uk...

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

edit on by gallopinghordes because: please don't circumvent the automatic censors

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I wonder how many times she and the officers under her command stood up in court to vouch for the accuracy of those speed guns.

If it can be proven that she had ever testified in court in favor of the speed guns, she should be charged with perjury and sent away to jail forever IMHO.

It's funny how they can sit idly by letting the common man get screwed by stuff like this and it's only when they get caught in one of their own traps do they finally speak up.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If it's true which I doubt then it speaks volumes that she brings it up only after she herself is caught. She never had trouble of the hundreds or thousands of tickets written to 'civillians'.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Personally, i think we should follow Germany's example and scrap most of our outdated speed limits.

The world moves very fast these days, it's about time our transport laws caught up with the 21st century.

Most people realize speed limits are a way to earn more money from the soft target motorists. I agree there is a case for restraint and enforcement in certain critical areas, such as built up areas, near schools and hospitals and so on, but generally speed limits are a nuisance.

What is needed is less road enforcement, and better planning and infrastructure for the safety of pedestrians in the form of overhead crossings, chicanes, and other initiatives that force traffic to slow down, through design rather than enforcement.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Totally agree Spikey we are seeing a massive draw down in the use of speed cameras in the UK though. Apparently the one on the M6 generates over 1 million pounds per year. So I suspect that one will be hanging around for a little while yet.

If it can be proven that she had ever testified in court in favor of the speed guns, she should be charged with perjury and sent away to jail forever IMHO.

Fairly harsh
but yeah why the hell not? I hope an example is made of her, it would put the wind up the rest of the police out there, abusing their positions and taking liberties.

Let's face it here in the UK the police have got increasingly better at enforcing new fines, and that's about it. I believe the crime rates in this country are also falsified, as people no longer even bother to report them because they have simply lost faith.

PsykoOps you are right to take it with a pinch of salt though. Especially coming from the DM, her local news has carried the story too, perhaps adds some weight to it.

top topics

join